• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is IS for the birds? (1 Viewer)

How does the Kite work to ID fast flying birds?

IS engage fast,?
IS work on horizontal movement?
Easy to locate in FOV?
other IS binoculars better?

thanks,
edj
The IS on the Kite 16x42 APC Stabilizer works very fast so I have no problem with IDs on fast birds. The IS works fine on horizontal movement and for a 16x with a 3.9 degree FOV birds are about as easy to locate as you would expect with that high of a magnification although it is not as easy as a lower magnification of course but once you do locate the bird you see much more detail than even a normal 16x binocular. I found the Kites to be better than all the different Canons I tried, as far as, stabilization and optics except for the Canon 10x42 IS-L which are a little better optically due to the HD glass and bigger AFOV. The Fujinon 14x40 TSX had a little better stabilization than the Kite and it too has excellent optics but it has a smaller AFOV than the Kite and it is a huge, heavy binocular at over 46 oz. which is more suited to static use on a boat for fishing. For long distance birding and wildlife observation where you are going to do any hiking at all I found the Kite 16x42 APC Stabilizer the best choice.

I have to add even though the Kite 14x42 APC stabilized binocular was a good performer I did have trouble with the stabilizer, so I could have gotten a lemon, but it does make me question their reliability especially, as far as, the stabilization. I think the automatic on and off IS system could introduce some complexity into the system that could be prone to malfunctions. That is just my theory with no basis in fact.

Having tried IS binoculars, the concern is not their optical performance or superior ability to resolve detail, but rather, concerns about long term durability and reliability. A geriatric day-birder will prefer powered IS binoculars. The backpacker or hunter stuck in -10C weather for a week won't. Good binoculars last decades with little fuss. IS technology has advanced a lot in the 15 years since the Canon 10x42L was introduced. 15 years old optics are modern. 15 year old electronics are dinosaurs.

Last edited:
I might be interested in a small, lightweight IS monocular with ~15x magnification to complement my 8.5x42 binoculars. I don't have or want a spotting scope because it is too much to carry, but every now and then one comes across something too far away to identify and then it would be nice to have something in my pocket to deal with that. If anybody has a suggestion I would be happy to hear it.

I might be interested in a small, lightweight IS monocular with ~15x magnification to complement my 8.5x42 binoculars. I don't have or want a spotting scope because it is too much to carry, but every now and then one comes across something too far away to identify and then it would be nice to have something in my pocket to deal with that. If anybody has a suggestion I would be happy to hear it.
Something like this?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bresser-Monocular-Optical-Image-Stabilizer/dp/B00X3S3Z6M
They weigh only 315g, and the reviews are not too bad.

Трябва да добавя, въпреки че стабилизираният бинокъл Kite 14x42 APC беше добър изпълнител, имах проблеми със стабилизатора, така че можех да си взема лимон, но това ме кара да поставя под съмнение тяхната надеждност, особено що се отнася до стабилизацията. Мисля, че автоматичната система за включване и изключване на IS може да внесе известна сложност в системата, която може да бъде склонна към неизправности. Това е само моята теория, всъщност без основание.
Благодаря. Вярно ли е, че новият Fujinon има най-добрите IS ... години експлоатация. Да, тежък е, но стабилизацията и оптиката са добри за 14x .... Какво мислите, защото сте работили с новия Fujinon 14x40?

Opticron MMS 160.
It must be a Kamakura clone or made by Kamakura. It looks similar to the Bresser in ways. Less expensive though. At APM only $350. So much of this stuff by the time you see it it is discontinued!

Last edited:
Having tried IS binoculars, the concern is not their optical performance or superior ability to resolve detail, but rather, concerns about long term durability and reliability. A geriatric day-birder will prefer powered IS binoculars. The backpacker or hunter stuck in -10C weather for a week won't. Good binoculars last decades with little fuss. IS technology has advanced a lot in the 15 years since the Canon 10x42L was introduced. 15 years old optics are modern. 15 year old electronics are dinosaurs.
You have a good point and their durability and reliability problems are a big turnoff with IS binoculars for a lot of birders. I don't think they will ever be a large share of the market for that reason.

You have a good point and their durability and reliability problems are a big turnoff with IS binoculars for a lot of birders. I don't think they will ever be a large share of the market for that reason.
OTOH the IS in camera lenses is pretty durable and reliable, even in budget lenses. I also haven't heard of many problems with the Canon IS binoculars. Not really surprising as Canon have got a lot of experience with IS systems in their camera lenses. Sure, binoculars without IS are inherently more reliable - provided they are well made - but the advantages IS offers are to great to ignore them.

Hermann

OTOH the IS in camera lenses is pretty durable and reliable, even in budget lenses. I also haven't heard of many problems with the Canon IS binoculars. Not really surprising as Canon have got a lot of experience with IS systems in their camera lenses. Sure, binoculars without IS are inherently more reliable - provided they are well made - but the advantages IS offers are to great to ignore them.

Hermann
IS is nice, but it would be great if they could integrate the IS system into a more normal looking binocular that wasn't so heavy. The Canon IS binoculars are probably the most reliable IS binoculars but why do they have to be so strange looking? I think if they had the ergonomics of a normal binocular more people would buy them.

They grew on me, Dennis. When I take non-IS binos 'into the field ' now, I notice the tremors (and not because I'm ageing!;)). If I go out without a scope, I always use my Canon IS 10x42.

They grew on me, Dennis. When I take non-IS binos 'into the field ' now, I notice the tremors (and not because I'm ageing!;)). If I go out without a scope, I always use my Canon IS 10x42.
I know especially with 10x. The Canon IS 10x42 are great optically and a great bargain. I won't say they are heavy anymore since I am carrying a Fujinon FMTR-SX 10x50 that weighs a little more even than the Canons!

How are you liking those Canon 8x20 IS? Do you still use them?
Nearly every day! My 'go-to' bino for lockdown walks up the local headland or down by the coast. Remarkably fast and stable IS system. Lightweight and pocketable in a bellows pocket. Locating the IS button while they're held to the eyes takes some getting used to, but that's a,minor quibble. Lovely binos, thank you for the recommendation!

Nearly every day! My 'go-to' bino for lockdown walks up the local headland or down by the coast. Remarkably fast and stable IS system. Lightweight and pocketable in a bellows pocket. Locating the IS button while they're held to the eyes takes some getting used to, but that's a,minor quibble. Lovely binos, thank you for the recommendation!
The Canons work good. I just wish they would make them look more like a normal binocular. The Canon 8x20 looks like a toy. The Canon 10x42 IS-L has superb optics, but I wish it wasn't so brick shaped.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back