• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is it really worth buying an NL 8x42? (1 Viewer)

I think I prefer the diopter on the NL because I never like pulling the cap up on the diopter like on the EL. I agree that RB is less than expected and precise eye placement is necessary with the NL and the eye cups have to be just right and the focuser isn't quite as smooth as the Zeiss. Your right about the NL having great natural colors and there is glare at the bottom of the image in a lot of situations but it is tolerable but I think besides the wide FOV the transparency is another big advantage the NL has over other binos. I think the armor is fine and the integrated objective caps work well and I don't have a problem with the FP strap attachments but I did use the adaptors and installed my own Vero Vellini strap instead of the Swaro strap.

The diopter of the NL is fine, especially if you leave it at 0, as I think you do, but if you need to use it then it's less precise than the diopter of the SV/FP as its scale is less detailed. I agree with you about the "transparency" of the view thru the NL, I am not really sure how to define that precisely, but I think it's a combination of the NL being bright and sharp, as well as having a good color balance and very little CA.

I'm sure Henry will include that in his upcoming test since that is his reference binocular.

Did you see the colour charts on the translated link I posted in the NL thread ? The whole Swaro family looks very similar to me on those charts - doesn't seem to be more than a bee's whatsit ! in it .....

The transmission chart looks like it should have great colour characteristics - very neutral, but with good saturation at either end of the spectrum. Looks to be an incremental improvement only in that regard over the SV.

I can tell that the NL is going to be rock like with low polar moments of inertia (a bit like the old Zen Prime HD) ..... I was more getting at how do you carry it ? Hanging around your neck by the neckstrap ? In the pouch ? Using a harness ? Just in the hand ? Transport around in a rucksack ? Or other ? (like one of those baby carrying slings that go over your shoulder). Good feel and balance in the hand is one thing while actually viewing - but that weight doesn't go away when moving around /transporting via shanks pony .........

Chosun :gh:
I use the Swaro bag until I begin using the binoculars then I use a neck strap. I prefer the Vero Vellini Slip-Proof Binocular Strap because it is much simpler and lighter than the Swaro strap and it is more comfortable and most importantly you can shorten it so it isn't banging your family jewels. They are fairly heavy but you forget all that weight when you bring them up to your eyes and all is forgiven!

Attachments

• 51+DSGna2BL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    51+DSGna2BL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
I have an 8x42 SLC, which I find to be fantastic.

I was really contemplating buying them but do I really need to?

I think you are asking the wrong question (no offense;))

If you have an 8x42 SLC, which I also find really really good, you definitely don‘t NEED to buy the NL, or any other 8x42.

The question to ask would be: „is the (likely) wow-effect when buying the NL worth $ 2-2.5k for me“?

I happen to be familiar not only with the SLC, but with all premium and many sub-premium 8x42s currently on the market, and for me, the NL stands out from all of them. How much that „standing out“ counts in terms of money is of course up to anyone individually to decide.

But:
What I am sure about is that with the SLC, there will most likely never be a birding identification task in which you would fail to perform because you don‘t have the NL with you.

And:
Everyone’s eyes are different, so only you can decide whether the NL would be for you. But since you already have the SLC, however you are going to decide, you can‘t really lose.

Canip

Last edited:
I f I was about to buy my first premium binocular then an NL would be at the top of my list.

But like you, and many other members here I already have a premium binocular, so it`ll be a slow journey towards maybe acquiring an NL for me, after much trial and consideration.

People on here say it won't make you a better birder.. it might make you a slightly worse birder if your main consideration in the field is to look after a very expensive pair of binoculars, as opposed to looking for birds.

Binoculars get hammered throughout their life, not sure a £3000 pair would be treated so casually!

Plus you'll lose a bit of efficiency the first few weeks/months(?), getting familiar with the focus. I only truly own my binoculars when I have subconsciously focussed on the bird before they get to my eyes.

Thanks for all the sound advice. Finding £2,400 for a new pair of binoculars is pushing it a bit for me at this time. As I already have a fantastic pair of binoculars in my SLCs, I've decided to stick with what I've got and enjoy the view through an already brilliant pair of binoculars

One day maybe, but not for now

Thanks for all the sound advice. Finding £2,400 for a new pair of binoculars is pushing it a bit for me at this time. As I already have a fantastic pair of binoculars in my SLCs, I've decided to stick with what I've got and enjoy the view through an already brilliant pair of binoculars

One day maybe, but not for now

That's a very sound attitude, I will try harder to copy it....

Yes but when the holiday is over, it's gone for ever except in your memories. The NLs will always be there for you lol

I think you know the answer. Deep down, what do want people to say? "Go for it", or "keep your SLC"?

I bought a 10x42 NL, and while it's an optically brilliant bino, the novelty has already worn off (it's been about 3 weeks). I think it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that an object will dramatically alter your quality of life, or that minute optical improvements will change the way you go about your birding/hunting/nature watching - whatever.

I think this point is spot on. Buying the NL are not going to drastically improve your experience.

They are a bit like the Bugatti Veyron, a nice piece of engineering and one of the best binos in the world, but ultimately much more than most people can or need to spend.

Of course, if you have the money, and get enjoyment from that kind of thing, then why not.

Life is short and to be enjoyed.

Alternatively, you can just stick with your excellent 8x42 SLC and spend the extra money on some travel expenses to see nice things through them!!

I think you know the answer. Deep down, what do want people to say? "Go for it", or "keep your SLC"?

I bought a 10x42 NL, and while it's an optically brilliant bino, the novelty has already worn off (it's been about 3 weeks). I think it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that an object will dramatically alter your quality of life, or that minute optical improvements will change the way you go about your birding/hunting/nature watching - whatever.

The NL's are good tools. But they're not magical 'wonder' instruments, either. If you've got the $$ and you feel that the extra features of the NL may contribute to your enjoyment, why not? But I don't think you'd be missing out on much by sticking with your SLC's.

At the end of the day, it's what you view through your binos that counts, isn't it? This forum has been a bit of a negative influence, because instead of enjoying whatever it is I'm looking at, I've been preoccupied with nitpicking the glass instead. And even the NL isn't immune to that. I've been picking holes in it all day long, and it sucks big time.

The grass is always greener. If you think the NL will cure that, then you're wrong.

If you find the SLC to be fantastic, then why change? If your answer to that is "but...." (etc) - then buy the NL's. :0)

FWIW Binodude, I agree. Its the same with so-called audiophiles; they spend so much time listening to and analysing the equipment rather than enjoying the music that they are playing on it. Its all very subjective at the end of the day. As instruments increase in price, mistakes get more expensive to make.

RB

FWIW Binodude, I agree. Its the same with so-called audiophiles; they spend so much time listening to and analysing the equipment rather than enjoying the music that they are playing on it. Its all very subjective at the end of the day. As instruments increase in price, mistakes get more expensive to make.

RB

It's very true. I can honestly say I have only ever noticed chromatic aberration once in over 30 years, that was a pair of bins I was trying at a shop.
FoV, I'd notice if it was ridiculously tunneled, but unlikely to notice the difference between any current models.
Magnification: 8x 10x, I wouldn't necessarily notice.
Twilight factor ditto.
32mm, 42mm, 56mm ?! I have 25mm and they seem the same to me!

All I notice is sharp clear wildlife thru them, and whether they survive a British downpour!

Then again, we wouldn't go into the ringing subforum, and tell them that we can identify birds without blowing their feathers and measuring their primarys.
So i guess it's good that the binocular geeks do have these pages to discuss things.. just a bit weird for a "birder" to stray in here and wonder what on earth is going on!

Last edited:
Funny to see how people spending already a lot of money on something try to justify that those who spend more are ridiculous, that it changes nothing, that if you do so, you do not really appreciate what you have and so on.

Why spending already so much on the SLC? I'm sure a Vortex, Nikon Monarch or Zeiss Terra is almost as good and even less expensive.

BTW, it is the same with HiFi, wine and everything: because some people do not see the difference between a good product and a top of the line product does not mean it does not exists, that others will not be able to really enjoy it and they they bought it mainly because they are snob.

I tried the NL briefly; it was a good pair of binoculars and probably top of the line with the Zeiss SF. That said, I wouldn't spend 3K for it, as I didn't find exceptionally better than the 8.5x42 SV EL, and really only superior due to the wider FoV (I didn't notice a difference in brightness between the two, but I'd need more comparison time for that most likely). The ergonomics were just fine and probably better for some people, but I didn't find them better than either the 8.5x42 SV EL or 7x42 SLC NEU, just different.

I tried the NL briefly; it was a good pair of binoculars and probably top of the line with the Zeiss SF. That said, I wouldn't spend 3K for it, as I didn't find exceptionally better than the 8.5x42 SV EL, and really only superior due to the wider FoV (I didn't notice a difference in brightness between the two, but I'd need more comparison time for that most likely). The ergonomics were just fine and probably better for some people, but I didn't find them better than either the 8.5x42 SV EL or 7x42 SLC NEU, just different.

A brief and lucid assessment. The ergos are probably better for people with small hands, I have M/L hands and I am still trying to find the most comfortable grip for the focusing hand.

Funny to see how people spending already a lot of money on something try to justify that those who spend more are ridiculous, that it changes nothing, that if you do so, you do not really appreciate what you have and so on.

Why spending already so much on the SLC? I'm sure a Vortex, Nikon Monarch or Zeiss Terra is almost as good and even less expensive.

BTW, it is the same with HiFi, wine and everything: because some people do not see the difference between a good product and a top of the line product does not mean it does not exists, that others will not be able to really enjoy it and they they bought it mainly because they are snob.

Differences aren't necessarily improvements and given the law of diminishing returns, the relatively small apparent improvement won't be worth the large increase in cost for many (most?) people. I would rather enjoy what I have, using them for the purpose they were bought than spend hours discussing the merits of a binocular indoors, sat in front of a computer. YMM, of course, V.

RB

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back