• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is the knob on the front of the UV hinge removable? (1 Viewer)

eitanaltman

Random (potentially dumb) Leica UV question that’s been bugging me: on nearly every binocular it seems the knob/cap on the front of the hinge (objective end) screws off to expose a threaded tripod screw hole and/or hinge tightening screw. On the Leica UV there is a large cylindrical knob in that spot with a Leica inscription and “Made in Germany/Portugal”.

I cannot figure out if that knob is supposed to be removable or not? On all three Leicas in my possession I can spin the knob freely, but it doesn’t appear to be tightening/loosening as if it were intended to screw on/off. I don’t want to pry or otherwise do something that could damage the binocular to satisfy my curiosity.

So what’s the deal? Does it come off or not?

There is no tripod mount, only a hinge tightening mechanism. And when I asked about it recently Gary said it's not simple to use, best not to try yourself.

There is no tripod mount, only a hinge tightening mechanism. And when I asked about it recently Gary said it's not simple to use, best not to try yourself.

So is that a yes or a no? I don’t care about a tripod mount I just want to know if I can remove the knob without damaging the binocular.

Yes it pops off. I had this adapter on a previously owned pair. If I recall it took more force than I expected but came off without any ill effects.

https://outdoorsmans.com/collection...ts/outdoorsmans-leica-ultravid-binocular-stud

Website says it's not compatible with HD+, whether that is just due to dimensional differences or the cap on the HD+ doesn't come off, I can't say. I had it on an HD Ultravid.

Thank you! Can I ask how you removed it? Did you just insert something flat into the seam and gently pry it off? I don’t want to damage anything.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back