• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is there a phone scoping adaptor for Kowa TSN 883 and iPhoneX? (1 Viewer)

MKinHK

Mike Kilburn
Hong Kong
I was surprised to discover that Kowa does not offer an adaptor for iPhone X for the TSN 883.

Anyone know of third party products that do a good job, or if there is indeed a Kowa product I am not aware of?

Tks
Mike

Opticron may do one also. Phoneskope is hugely expensive if you live outside the US. With shipping it's close to £100 shipped to UK. For what is literally a little piece of plastic!!!

I just got an iPhone 11 pro about a month ago. I have a Novagrade Digiscoping adapter to use on my Kowa TSN 883 and 664. My phone is in a Nomad leather folio case, one that has a flap that folds over to protect the screen. I just tried it my my Novagrade with the dual clamp. The Novagrade holds the phone in the leather case fine , the flap just stands back and I was able to adjust for the 1x-2x lens, wide angle lens is covered so cannot use it , but no need for it on a spotting scope. Going from iPhone 7 it was nice not to have to buy any more adapters. The Novagrade adapter has rather easy adjustments to line the camera lens to the center of the scope adapter, a block to limit up/down position. the clamps can be adjusted for left right tilt, and then the camera body can be adjusted front back to lay flat on the adapter. . I also tried a phonescope and there is no comparison. re

Many thanks for your feedback everyone.

It seems there is an OtterBox /Kowa adaptor available from the Kowa Germany website or B & H in the US at a mark up.

I was unconvinced by the Phoneskope - especially when it requires you to buy an additional cover - and even more so at that price!

Thanks for info about the Novagrade adaptor. My big question would be about alignment of the camera with the exact centre of adaptor. This seems to me to be a critical aspect in taking good still/ video, and this would rely on my ability to get this right, while the dedicated adaptor would be centred by design.

Conversely I like the idea of an adaptor I can use with my existing phone cover. Would you have a photo you can share Jkingrph ?

Cheers, and Happy New Year
Mike

It seems there is an OtterBox /Kowa adaptor available from the Kowa Germany website or B & H in the US at a mark up.

I was unconvinced by the Phoneskope - especially when it requires you to buy an additional cover - and even more so at that price!

Thanks for info about the Novagrade adaptor. My big question would be about alignment of the camera with the exact centre of adaptor. This seems to me to be a critical aspect in taking good still/ video, and this would rely on my ability to get this right, while the dedicated adaptor would be centred by design.

Conversely I like the idea of an adaptor I can use with my existing phone cover. Would you have a photo you can share Jkingrph ?

Mike

Mike,
There is a detailed review of the Novagrade here:
https://www.rokslide.com/novagrade-double-gripper-digiscope-adapter-review/

It is a very flexible unit, able to cope with varying camera lens positions as well as with different eye piece diameters. It very much needs setting up beforehand, as the setup is finicky and needs to be exact to get solid results.

Thanks etudiant

I found some videos about how to use it, which confirm that getting the set up right on the Novagrip could indeed be tricky.

One useful clip also noted some potential light intrusion at 6 mins 30 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5mwncsGxiI

Thanks for the alternative option AOD. Any sample pix?

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
Novag

Mike

I am away for a few weeks and do not have it with me. The youtube video you found shows the set up, which I found quite easy. My phone is in a Nomad folio type case, that has a flap that closes over the screen to protect it. The case is a firm leather and when I put it in the Novagrade adapter the case flap stands up at almost but not quite 90 degrees to the screen, if you put the phone in a landscape orientation it would protect the screen from overhead light. I found with all the adjustments in the Novagrade I could get the phone lens area to lie perfectly flat against the adapter so do not see where there could be any ambient light entering the camera lens. I had tried a phonescope, and found I had to take my iPhone out of the protective carry case to use it, with the Novagard I can keep it in my case. It worked with my old iPhone 8 in an Otterbox Defender quite well also. I have not tried it with one, but think there is enough adjustment for something like one of the iPhone 11 Pro Max phones. I know it will work the slightly larger iPhone 11(not the pro) that my wife has, with just a few adjustment changes.

I only set up my 11 pro to use the wide camera lens, the one on the top left looking at them. At 1x i see a little of the adapter so set magnification up a little, about 1.4 and it looks perfect.

I just got an iPhone 11 pro about a month ago. I have a Novagrade Digiscoping adapter to use on my Kowa TSN 883 and 664. My phone is in a Nomad leather folio case, one that has a flap that folds over to protect the screen. I just tried it my my Novagrade with the dual clamp. The Novagrade holds the phone in the leather case fine , the flap just stands back and I was able to adjust for the 1x-2x lens, wide angle lens is covered so cannot use it , but no need for it on a spotting scope. Going from iPhone 7 it was nice not to have to buy any more adapters. The Novagrade adapter has rather easy adjustments to line the camera lens to the center of the scope adapter, a block to limit up/down position. the clamps can be adjusted for left right tilt, and then the camera body can be adjusted front back to lay flat on the adapter. . I also tried a phonescope and there is no comparison. re

What was it that you didn't like about the Phoneskope? I have one for my iphone 8 and it seems to work OK, but not great. So you have found that the iphone 11 pro works well with its 3 lenses? Do you zoom in with the 1-2x lens? Thanks.

What was it that you didn't like about the Phoneskope? I have one for my iphone 8 and it seems to work OK, but not great. So you have found that the iphone 11 pro works well with its 3 lenses? Do you zoom in with the 1-2x lens? Thanks.
The Phoneskope seems to be rather flimsy plastic in my opinion. The Novagrae is more metal and heavier plastic, and although I have not used it very much, mainly trying out in the back yard, due to bad weather this spring. I has almost micrometer like adjustments so you can center one of the lenses and use it.

Hi - I borrowed a friend’s Vortex Razor HD 20-60x85 and used a phoneskope adapter. It was very hard to see for this newbie here. I downloaded both ProCam and Phoneskope app. It took me about 30 minutes and finagling over and over as we moved from one spot to another. I’m waiting for my Kowa 883 and pre-ordered my phoneskope for my iPhone 11pro max. Novagrade is so expensive - is it worth it? This is my very first yellow crested night heron. There were 5 of them were we where - most of them in their nest sleeping except this one.F75D4EAC-D77D-47D5-9EC3-64518A10DAED.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back