• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is there a tripod adapter for Swaro CL Companion 8x30 (1 Viewer)

cycleguy

Hi All,

Wondering if there is a tripod adapter that is compatible with the Swaro 8x30 CL Companion?

I carry the CLs, a Nikon ED50, and a Sirui T-025x w/ C10S ballhead for wildlife viewing and I may wander as far as 10 miles for the day.

Last outing I found that if I hand rest my binoculars atop the tripod I am able to realize gains in detail and enjoy more comfortable viewing.

Thinking I would like to try the binocular mounted to the tripod.

I see the Leica binocular tripod adapter is listed for smaller binoculars and may be a possible choice. Unfortunately there are no stores I know of local to investigate this.

The adapter will need to provide for quick and near silent setup and takedown. I suspect I'll have to pick up another quick release plate for the adapter. A Velcro strap will make too much noise; so this style adapter isn't going to fit my needs.

Cross compatibility with EL x42, Conquest HD x32, Maven B3, and UVHD x42 would be a plus but isn't necessary.

Thanks in advance.

CG

I have the Leica adapter and my wife has an 8x30 CL2. The latter being so small is about the bottom limit for the Leica adapter as there is then very little tension on the rubber strap.
There have been criticisms here on the forum of the Leica adapter, probably from people who have never used it. It's perfectly stable for binocular magnifications up to 15x, although 56 mm bins are literally a bit of a stretch. Attachment is very quick and IMO it is the ideal solution for 32-50 mm roof prism bins.
I have also used the wooden Berlebach adapter, which is very reasonably priced but has a few drawbacks compared to the Leica.

John

Hi All,

Wondering if there is a tripod adapter that is compatible with the Swaro 8x30 CL Companion?

I carry the CLs, a Nikon ED50, and a Sirui T-025x w/ C10S ballhead for wildlife viewing and I may wander as far as 10 miles for the day.

Last outing I found that if I hand rest my binoculars atop the tripod I am able to realize gains in detail and enjoy more comfortable viewing.

Thinking I would like to try the binocular mounted to the tripod.

I see the Leica binocular tripod adapter is listed for smaller binoculars and may be a possible choice. Unfortunately there are no stores I know of local to investigate this.

The adapter will need to provide for quick and near silent setup and takedown. I suspect I'll have to pick up another quick release plate for the adapter. A Velcro strap will make too much noise; so this style adapter isn't going to fit my needs.

Cross compatibility with EL x42, Conquest HD x32, Maven B3, and UVHD x42 would be a plus but isn't necessary.

Thanks in advance.

CG

The Swarovski adapter works OK for the CL and very well for other bins you mention. The CL has to be positioned as far back (toward the observer) on the adapter as possible especially if you glass with eyecups fully down. With eyecups fully twisted up, it's somewhat better. There may be a better adapter for the short barrels of the CL like the Berlebach adapter as Tringa/John suggests above.

Mike

The Swarovski adapter works OK for the CL and very well for other bins you mention. The CL has to be positioned as far back (toward the observer) on the adapter as possible especially if you glass with eyecups fully down. With eyecups fully twisted up, it's somewhat better. There may be a better adapter for the short barrels of the CL like the Berlebach adapter as Tringa/John suggests above.

Mike
Mike,

A positive aspect of the Swarovski UTA is its Arca-Swiss compatible foot but it lacks the longitudinal fixation of the right barrel on the Leica, which is also cheaper.
The Berlebach will also accommodate Porros but the fixing of the rubber strap on a wooden button is awkward and contoured binocular barrels will rock backwards and forwards. The strap is also too narrow and the buttonholes are spaced too far apart.

John

Thanks guys!!! I had read somewhere that the Swaro UTA was for Swaro tripods and I assumed it to be a proprietary system. I should be able to find a Swaro UTA local and will look into it.

Regarding the loose fit of the Leica and CL, could a small piece of foam or sponge be used between the binocular and base/or binocular and strap to increase the tension without upsetting function and the use of the binocular and tripod adapter?

One of these days I may get around to trying the UV x32 which could lead to the demise of the CL.

CG

I'm also seeing that Leupold has a low cost binocular adapter tray. I may have to give one a try; maybe I can remove the hook and loop and substitute a nylon or rubber strap.

CG

The Leica binocular adapter has been working fine with the Swaro CL Companion x30.

I can run the band across the front of the barrel and have the binocular a little further back in the adapter or I can run one side of the band on the front of the barrels and the other side of the band partially on the hinge with the binocular a little more forward in the adapter. Either way the binocular feels secured.

I am now wondering how much the band stretches with use? If I use it with 42mm binoculars will the band stretch and no longer work with the CL's? or if I leave the CL's in the adapter for a week or a month (at home focused on a feeder) is the band going to stretch and lose some of its grip???

Your experiences...

CG

Just curious - is there a great benefit to using a tripod for an 8x bino? I very much dislike the shake that I get with a 10x, so I can understand if someone gets it with any mag they may explore a tripod/monopod option. For myself, I'm currently of the mind that if I lug a tripod or invest in some kind of a headrest contraption or IS, then I wouldn't stop at 10x, but 12 or 15 to make the gain worth the effort. This is why I'm a bit perplexed at the notion of a tripod for the very handy Swaro CL(B?) 8x30, interested to better understand the application.

Just curious - is there a great benefit to using a tripod for an 8x bino? I very much dislike the shake that I get with a 10x, so I can understand if someone gets it with any mag they may explore a tripod/monopod option. For myself, I'm currently of the mind that if I lug a tripod or invest in some kind of a headrest contraption or IS, then I wouldn't stop at 10x, but 12 or 15 to make the gain worth the effort. This is why I'm a bit perplexed at the notion of a tripod for the very handy Swaro CL(B?) 8x30, interested to better understand the application.
I notice gains work best on 10x and higher binoculars. Don’t get me wrong, any binoculars mounted on a tripod will extend their range. But I find you get that wow factor at 10x and higher

10x on a tripod is a popular set up outside the birding community, especially in western U.S. where views can be miles long

I am seeing gains with using a tripod with an 8x binocular, YMMV. I am not as steady as I once was (parted with 10x some time ago) and cold mornings/evenings and accelerated heart rate can also factor in at times.

I primarily hand hold and prefer this; but appreciate being able to steady the view when needed (on occasion, this isn't all the time) to pick up any little bit more detail that may help out in a situation. There frequently is nothing available with the terrain to lean/support against to help steady the view so that is not an option.

Since I am primarily hand holding, the move to higher magnification only makes things worse; and I need to remain compact and light for the trek (see opening post) and IS at this time is too much added bulk and weight.

The 8x30 CL and the small carbon fiber tripod work for my particular needs.

CG

I managed to find this older thread on DIY tripod mounts. It's quite easy to build one that suits your needs. It's also cheap and will add a bit of personality to your setup. I use mine mainly with a 8x30 porro. Even at 8x a tripod mount will multiply the perceived resolution by a lot. I use mine all the time. I also recomend a small ballhead with arca swiss style mount. I use the Andoer D25C ballhead. It's small and light but sturdy and a steal online. Arca swiss mounting plates can also be had for next to nothing. The setup is silent and very quick on/off. I usually keep the adapter on the binocular because it's the fastest way to mount/unmount instead of releasing the rubber cords. The added bulk of the adapter actually makes me a lot less shaky when freehanding.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back