• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

is there still demand for SLC 10x42? are they still relevant? (1 Viewer)

jaymann

I picked up a pair of SLC 10x42 from cabelas recently. I was surprised by the optics and low light performance. I already have EL8.5x42, EL12x50 and SLC15x56. Should i keep them or get rid of them ? will they appreciate in value or lose value as they are discontinued?
if you suggest i should get rid of them, will $1500 be a good price ?

If you are enjoying them, why get rid of them, especially so soon after buying them? All models eventually change or get discontinued. Whatever you replace it with, will too. As far as appreciation or depreciation is concerned, I think what should matter more is with regard to your enjoyment than dollars. Don't sell them as long as you appreciate them. That could be a lifetime.

Last edited:
If you are enjoying them, why get rid of them, especially so soon after buying them? All models eventually change or get discontinued. Whatever you replace it with, will too. As far as appreciation or depreciation is concerned, I think ithat should matter more with regard to your enjoyment than dollars. Don't sell them as long as you appreciate them. That could be a lifetime.
the reason i ask is because i dont need them but will keep them only if there values stays strong. I will enjoy them for few months and then sell them. if they will lose value than i will sell them now.

Jay,

I can't imagine them going down in value dramatically, if at all. $1500 is about $100 cheaper than I have seen those anywhere, so that seems like a pretty fair price if they are in excellent condition.

-Will

Not a direct answer to your question but they are a very special bin - light but solid, compact, and with excellent optics with great contrast and colour, slightly on the warm side. Personally I find them very easy to hold still which I can't say for the 10x50 EL which though fairly compact for its spec is a little bit more unwieldy. Roger Vine gives the 10x42 SLC a big thumbs up (as he does the 10x50 EL also) at http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/Swaro10x42SLCHD.htm (in case you hadn't seen that review).

The 10x42 SLC is actually slightly lighter than the 8x42 SLC.

Tom

Hi,

I would say that for the foreseeable future a pair of bins that was not a limited edition will just a be pair of used bins and can be sold at some percentage of the last new price (a common rule for used optics is 2/3 of new if in good condition - if you keep it new in box with paperwork 80% or so might also happen).
Remember that it will always be a sale from a private party which involves a certain risk for the buyer which is why they will not pay as much as they might for a new old stock example from a Swaro dealer.

This forum is not about Rolex watches (or lately gaming graphics cards) where buying an item new and flipping it soon after will be a sure quick buck (or rather a few hundred in case of graphics cards or thousand in case of the in-demand Rolex models.

So if you don't intend to use it, I would recommend to sell it soon.

Sorry,

Joachim

I think some of the love for the SLC 42 is because the model has been discontinued. So, don't fall for the thinking it will go up in value, as
the value will go down, as a successor comes out. This is not a rare binocular, and there are many fine binocular models available today.

Jerry

Is this a question of need or want? If the 10x42 does a better job in some situations then I would say keep them. If not really then it's probably time to move them on. However, if you just enjoy the design and optical performance regardless then hang on to them. Most of us have fun with one or more that don't fill a practical need.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back