• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Is this a Ashy-headed Greenlet? (1 Viewer)

Jacamar

Is this a Ashy-headed Greenlet? My field guide doesn't mention the pinkish beak or the light-colored eyebrow.

Attachments

• Vireonidae.jpg
    Vireonidae.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 148
  • Vireonidae2.jpg
    Vireonidae2.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 134

Rasmus Boegh

BF member
Jacamar said:
Is this a Ashy-headed Greenlet?

Sure is. Only thing it could be mistaken for is a Lemon-chested (less grey on the head & ad's have pale eyes; usually occur in more humid regions than Ashy-headed) or a Tepui Greenlet (grey wings & ad's have pale eyes; extremely unlikely anywhere near the coast). Quite some time since I've seen an Ashy-headed and I haven't checked my notes, but the bill seem more or less the colour I remember; greyish with some pinkish-flesh on the lower mandible and near the base. The eye-brow is more distinct than anything I remember seeing (most individuals have at least a hint of an eye-brow, though), but I'd say it's within the variation possible. Anyway, there's not really anything you could confuse it with given the features clearly visible on these photos. I'd guess you probably heard it before you saw it.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread