• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a Barbary Dove? Or normal Collared Dove? (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

In Tenerife in March, I saw this bird which looked different to standard Collared Doves, but I am not sure what a Barbary Dove really looks like. Meant to be pale-whitish almost. Most of the ones I have seen are like the attached (excuse poor photo) - a sort of creamy-brown all over including wings which are normally blackish in Collared Dove.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Barbary Dove.jpg
    Barbary Dove.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 55
Further to this, if you go to ebird you can check a number of photos submitted as African Collared Dove (such as the one below), which is clearly Eurasian.

...and this

Compare with this, which is properly identified as African

Note also the longer pp projection on Eurasian - 5 or 6 compared with 4 on African .

Brian

Last edited:
Blimey, interesting stuff.

I dare say most people don't pay them much attention or care.

Thanks again for the education Brian.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back