• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a chukar (1 Viewer)

Chrisshell

United Kingdom
Hi all my daughter took this picture this morning in the godalming Surrey area and we would like to confirm what she saw

Attachments

• D1B34B54-E7F8-473C-B0EA-E5D8E7212FFE.jpeg
    D1B34B54-E7F8-473C-B0EA-E5D8E7212FFE.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 84
Not a definitive answer, but one to alert others:
this bird seems to lack a brownish tinge to the neck/back and the spotted neckband does not reaches down to the breast (variable and dependent on posture) and consists of not enough black spots for a pure Red legged Partridge.
This can be explained by low picture quality (looks like a picture from a mobile phone with much sharpening/jpeg artefacts?), but:
It looks like a RLP x Chukar hybrid which occur in Britain.

Ditto to Red-legged Partridge. Note that the black band below the white throat has a necklace of black spots below it; Chukar doesn't have those black spots. You also don't get Chukars in Britain (it's actually illegal for gamekeepers to release them).

PS Welcome to Birdforum!

Thanks Nutcracker, I must admit my information is outdated. I remember considering hybrids when I visited Britain in 1993 but I hope for more comments like yours with more information.
I am not an expert in variation of RLP, as I dont looked closely when I saw them. But as I cant remember seeing a RLP with such an less black spotted breast band before, I wrote my comment.

And sorry: forgot the most important thing: welcome to birdforum!

Last edited:
Thanks Nutcracker, I must admit my information is outdated. I remember considering hybrids when I visited Britain in 1993 but I hope for more comments like yours with more information.
I am not an expert in variation of RLP, as I dont looked closely when I saw them. But as I cant remember seeing a RLP with such an less black spotted breast band before, I wrote my comment.

And sorry: forgot the most important thing: welcome to birdforum!
Not sure exactly when the law banning Chukar releases was brought in, but at a guess, pretty soon after your visit (y)

Spotting is a bit variable (and would´nt be all visible here) and other features seem all OK for Redlegged Partridge- given the quality of the photo (no offence meant) I´d agree this is a Redlegged partridge.

Thank you Jörn and Nutcracker,
as I havent seen a RLP with such a necklace (pale grey, sullied whitish with just a few scattered black dots) before: is this within variation for this species? Or is the (only) reason for this picture, that details are lost to jpeg/picture artefacts coupled with low resoution?

Thank you Jörn and Nutcracker,
as I havent seen a RLP with such a necklace (pale grey, sullied whitish with just a few scattered black dots) before: is this within variation for this species? Or is the (only) reason for this picture, that details are lost to jpeg/picture artefacts coupled with low resoution?
I reckon the latter - just 110 kb means very low quality.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back