• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a house finches outer ear? (1 Viewer)

astrolux

United States
I saw an house finch in my yard (male) and took several pictures of him. Most do appear normal, but this one I am going to share looks as if their feathers got a bit ruffled and exposed their outer ear. I have read that birds do have ears and have seen several pictures that are kind of similar, but they aren't house finches. Anyone ever see this before. People on a facebook group said the bird had a disease, but I kind of wrote that off lol and said that it was most likely their ear/opening that is usually hidden under their plumage on their cheeks. upcose.jpg

Hi Astrolox

What an amazing image - yes, I do believe that is the ear canal, normally covered by feathers of course.

Thanks so much for showing it to us. Did you take the picture? As I think it could well be placed into the Opus Topography page, if you don't mind.

Hi Astrolox

What an amazing image - yes, I do believe that is the ear canal, normally covered by feathers of course.

Thanks so much for showing it to us. Did you take the picture? As I think it could well be placed into the Opus Topography page, if you don't mind.
I did that this picture, yes. I don't have any watermarks on it though to give it "ownership" per se haha. You are free to share it if you want to give credit just um,....I guess use my name Lane/Astrolux. I was kind of taken back by it to be honest, I thought it was a sunflower seed at first cause when I glanced at it on my Nikon it looked just like a black speck in the sunlight/glare.

Yes, we give credit to all the photographers under the images. It's linked to you user profile, see this page for an example:

Thanks so much.... I'll hopefully get it uploaded within the next few days.

Yes, we give credit to all the photographers under the images. It's linked to you user profile, see this page for an example:

Thanks so much.... I'll hopefully get it uploaded within the next few days.
Thanks ya so much. I appreciate it. It's definetley an "odd" image lol. I understand that if you study birds for a living it may not see that strange, but for me and the average birder, yeah. I posted it on twitter/instagram, too, but not a lot of love for it lol. Same with facebook, everyone kept saying the bird was diseased :( and I just kind of sat there and said to myself...I don't think so lol, it's just their ear?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back