• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this Crossbill big-billed enough to be classed as Parrot Crossbill? (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

I know only a sonogram proves definitive i/d, but do people think this is definitely a Parrot Crossbill due to it lying at the extreme end of bill size?

I have worked on this photo from an earlier thread and edited it as best as possible. Taken at Boat of Garten, Abernethy Forest, Scotland end of May

Attachments

• very large-billed crossbill.jpg
    very large-billed crossbill.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 100
  • very large-billed crossbill (3).jpg
    very large-billed crossbill (3).jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts all, really appreciate it. Sorry its a crappy photo :)-.

I do agree about the head being in bright light, and the bill might hence look bigger in proportion to the head than it really is. I just think the lower mandible is perhaps big enough to clinch i/d. Not a lifer or anything but just wondered.

Is the seed comment real Tom? Or have I had a humour by-pass there?

I agree with Mark and Tom, about catious approach. especially if it was taken in Britain (assume so). At least in Germany, I look for birds with a "parrot-like" square-shaped bill.
Pleese compare to the Common Crossbills with the same large bill, but the wrong shape (posted this before)

And please note the seed in the bill (not a joke, but a reason why the bill looks large), as already mentioned by Tom

Yes, this cautious approach makes the smalest billed Parrot Crossbills (like possible yours) remain unnoticed/overlooked in a vagrant context.

The yellow between the mandibles might be colour of bill or a seed
It is just bill colour Tom.

I noticed in quite a few photos that Parrots especially have this issue. This picture is of a photo in the hand by Lindsay Cargill, 2nd one shows the juvenile with the bird in question (the juv is the bird on the right). The link does fully open if you select it.

Attachments

• parrot juv4.jpg
    parrot juv4.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Crossbills Large3.jpg
    Crossbills Large3.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Finally I think the 3 poor photos showing width of the bills, firstly of the same putative Parrot Crossbill as in the OP, then a sound-recorded Scottish Crossbill, and a juvenile Common Crossbill, are quite telling and maybe informative..............

Attachments

• Big8.jpg
    Big8.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Big22.jpg
    Big22.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
  • Big2.jpg
    Big2.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 27
Very confused.
What 'earlier thread'? Can you give the link?
Does this mean you have still more photos of the bird that you've not shown?

Sorry the photo was taken from my trip report (Under Vacational Trip Reports-see link below), more or less same photos but edited. Also I did another thread on this specific forum but the photos were terrible on that.

What do you think about the bird in question, if I may politely ask your opinion?

Nick Hi,

FWIW I’ve slapped the ruler on your last two images and find that there isn’t much difference in the depth of upper to lower mandible perhaps favouring the “upper” marginally?
However after trawling the web for a CC full frontal using the same “Hi-tec”😄 procedure, I’ve found CC to have a noticeably shallower lower mandible?

Cheers Ken 👍

Regardless of the bill, not sure structure is right for Parrot, doesn't seem to appear stocky or 'bull necked', to me anyway?

Regardless of the bill, not sure structure is right for Parrot, doesn't seem to appear stocky or 'bull necked', to me anyway?
Interesting. Appreciate all your thoughts and views.
To me, I thought the adult female was bull-necked and stocky, but its all relative of course.
But the bill clinched it for me, it looks as deep as it is long, with bulging lower mandible.

Nick Hi,

FWIW I’ve slapped the ruler on your last two images and find that there isn’t much difference in the depth of upper to lower mandible perhaps favouring the “upper” marginally?
However after trawling the web for a CC full frontal using the same “Hi-tec”😄 procedure, I’ve found CC to have a noticeably shallower lower mandible?

Cheers Ken 👍
Ha, appreciate you trying to be scientific Ken. (y)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back