• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this Fox Poo (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
We found these (several of them) along a forest road in Angus.

Attachments

• S0474242 Poo1.jpg
    S0474242 Poo1.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 158
  • S0484243 Poo2.jpg
    S0484243 Poo2.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 141
Thanks for looking Bartolli.

Fox was the only thing we could come up with. It seemed too big to be Pine Marten and we couldn't think of anything else really.

I'd agree it looks to contain fruit stones or similar. Could that make the droppings a bit loose and so a different size or shape to the normal? I wouldn't like to say what species it's come from, scatology isn't realy my strong point I'm afraid |8.|

Cheers

:brains:|^|Get somebody with a Labrador to walk past it. If it rolls in it it's fox's.

Rich

Reminds me of an incident at a local nature reserve near a riding stables . . . a horse went past, and dropped a load on the path. Moments later someone's Labrador ran up, sniffed it, and promptly wolfed the whole steaming pile down. Cue, dog owner's utter disgust, and group of birders burst out laughing . . . :-O

Foxes are opportunist omnivores and will quite happily take berries and other fruits. If the size is right (I have nothing to scale it off) then I see no reason why it can't be fox poo.

John

Foxes are opportunist omnivores and will quite happily take berries and other fruits. If the size is right (I have nothing to scale it off) then I see no reason why it can't be fox poo.

John

I recently (in October) encountered poo with lots of mountain cranberry (Vaccinium vitis-idaea) on a hike in the Swiss national park, and was sure it had to be bear because of the high amount of such berries. But I then learned that this was fox, too. Badger would have been a possibility, but we were too high up, near the tree line, almost.

Attachments

• P1180574red1600.jpg
    P1180574red1600.jpg
    418 KB · Views: 86
  • P1180576red1600.jpg
    P1180576red1600.jpg
    413.2 KB · Views: 109
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back