• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Is This Normal? (1 Viewer)

I live in central Florida and provide some seed and suet and nectar for the true "snowbirds" in the winter. There are several yellow rump warblers (and other types) coming by frequently through the day. One little guy has my curiosity, he stays here in my yard and most particularly a single small (4ish feet) bare tree for hours each day. No sign of distress (though I know birds are masterful at hiding illness) he seems quite content to sit on the same low branch looking about. He eats, drinks and is showing no signs of building a nest, which I doubt he would do here anyway. And he is quite unwilling to share this space with other warblers, sets off after them if they come near "his tree". Anyone know if this is normal? Should I be trying to find him some help?

dantheman

Bah humbug
It's pretty normal for some bird species to act territorially over a food source in winter, including garden feeders. A photo (however poor) or description would help to know which species it is (assume not a Yellow-rumped) ...

It's pretty normal for some bird species to act territorially over a food source in winter, including garden feeders. A photo (however poor) or description would help to know which species it is (assume not a Yellow-rumped) ...
Thank you. Yes it is a yellow rump, shortly after I posted this question a second yellow rump is doing the same thing in my other little tree! I am calling them the "Sentinels" and clearly see they are guarding the feeders, they don't wish to share.

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
They can be quite the bully around other birds so see how they behave when other birds come nearby Susan 😊

Users who are viewing this thread