• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this Olympus binocular worth getting? (1 Viewer)

I need your help.

I've come across this pair of discontinued Olympus compact binoculars advertised for $65 Cdn in supposedly good condition, which I give the vendor the benefit of the doubt. It'll cost me another $20 Cdn to have it shipped to me. So total cost to me all in will be $85 Cdn.

It's an Olympus Wide PC 8x25 (pre-owned, used). See attached pic. It has Multi-coated lenses, BUT NOT Fully Multi-coated lenses, so I'm not sure what to make of it and if it'll be nice and bright like my Olympus Outback 8x21 RCI's which does have Fully Multi-coated lenses. Here's Olympus's promo piece on it before it was released: https://www.olympus-...07widepce.html

My question is:

Will it provide superior images and really bright, sharp, crisp views like my Olympus Outback 8x21 RCI?

I am specifically, only looking for superior views ie., brightness, sharpness and crispness that would come close to (maybe one notch below) my Vortex Crossfire HD 8x42's, Celestron Nature DX ED 8x42's, Vortex Diamondback HD 8x32's, Celestron Nature DX compact 10x25's and finally my Olympus Outback compact 8x21 RCI's which ALL have really bright views.

I am NOT looking for slightly sub-standard image quality, like with my Pentax UCF G 8x25's (even though they are nice bino's), which is not as bright as all of the binoculars mentioned above.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mark.
In Mississauga, Ontario
Canada

Attachments

• Olympus Wide PC.jpg
    Olympus Wide PC.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 15
Hi Mark,

Much more important than asking about individual binoculars is considering what to look for.

Sample variation can be huge.

Say, Pentax 8x25s have many different models.

Used binoculars typically are out of collimation.
They have internal moisture giving a thin haze layer.
They have fungus.
They have poor quality optics on one side.
Bits don't work.
Focus is stiff.
The hinge is loose or stiff.

As you seem to be in a busy area, I would look at thrift shops, pawn shops, charity shops, boot fairs, junk shops.
Personally, I wouldn't go to any now because of Covid, but some don't mind this.

Even with all this my failure rate was one in three, although after time it got down to one in five.
I kept two ball bearings in my pocket for quick star tests on sunny days.
I used signs across the road to read small text.

Distant buying is much more risky.

Regards,
B.

Hi Mark,

Much more important than asking about individual binoculars is considering what to look for.

Sample variation can be huge.

Say, Pentax 8x25s have many different models.

Used binoculars typically are out of collimation.
They have internal moisture giving a thin haze layer.
They have fungus.
They have poor quality optics on one side.
Bits don't work.
Focus is stiff.
The hinge is loose or stiff.

As you seem to be in a busy area, I would look at thrift shops, pawn shops, charity shops, boot fairs, junk shops.
Personally, I wouldn't go to any now because of Covid, but some don't mind this.

Even with all this my failure rate was one in three, although after time it got down to one in five.
I kept two ball bearings in my pocket for quick star tests on sunny days.
I used signs across the road to read small text.

Distant buying is much more risky.

Regards,
B.
Binastro,

Thanks for the helpful advice. Appreciate it. You just re-enforced what was at the back of my mind.

I've only been at it for a little over a month now. I've been extremely selective and super cautious as to what I go after. Don't want to take any losses. Most of the seven binos that I have already acquired are brand new or less than a year old and seldom used, all in new/like new condition. All from private individuals selling their personal binos or for re-sale binos.

Went a little off track there with the Olympus and my other recent posts here about the Bushnell, Canon and Bresser binos.

Luckily, I haven't been stung by a bad pair yet. I've hit on some really good deals thus far.

I guess given your experience I'll be staying away from older model, well used binoculars to avoid a bad buy. Will also keep away from thrift shops as it seems to be a hit and miss crap shoot, unless they're new. Living near a larger city (Toronto), major market area with a sizeable population, I'm confident there will be a greater likelihood of me hitting on more good deals like I have already come across.

I've picked up the following thus far:

1. Vortex Crossfire HD 8x42, $180 Canadian (Cdn) dollars, New. (Retail $250 tax incl.)
2. Vortex Diamondback HD 8x32, $160 Cdn, New. (Retail $285 tax incl.)
3. Celestron Nature DX ED 8x42, $100 Cdn, New. (Retail $270 tax incl.)
4. Olympus Outback 8x21 RCI, $20 Cdn, New. (Retail $70 tax incl.)
5. Celestron Nature DX 8x42, $150 Cdn, 1 year old, hardly used. (Retail $230 tax incl.)
6. Pentax UCF G 8x24, $20 Cdn, 4 - 5 years old but hardly used. (discontinued, Retailed $240 tax incl.)
7. Celestron Nature DX 10x25, $60 Cdn, Not sure of it's exact age but in very good condition. (Retail $140 tax incl.)

Recent life long, helpless, incurable, infectious COBBAS victim.
COBBAS - Compulsive Obsessive Bino Buying Addiction Syndrome.
My illness: What I NEED are binos! More binos, bigger binos, better binos, lighter binos, faster binos and even more
Powerful, Super Binos. And finally, when I acquire them all, then only will I be truly happy and be able to enjoy the view ...

Last edited:
我曾经有过这个望远镜,视野很大,但是不太亮,色彩偏黄色

Google Translator ("I used to have this telescope, the field of view is large, but not too bright, the color is yellowish")

Last edited by a moderator:
我曾经有过这个望远镜,视野很大,但是不太亮,色彩偏黄色
小小鸟,
非常感谢你的回复。非常感谢。我计划很快亲自见到它们,然后再决定是否应该购买它们。我希望它们会比你说的更亮。我很惊讶它们不亮,因为我已经拥有非常非常亮的 Olympus Outback 8x21 RCI。再次感谢。

感谢谷歌翻译。
Thanks to Google translate.

Google Translator:

little bird,
Thank you very much for your reply. thank you very much. I plan to see them in person soon before deciding if I should buy them. I hope they will be brighter than you said. I'm surprised they don't light up because I already have a very, very bright Olympus Outback 8x21 RCI.

Thanks again.
Thanks google translate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hola 小小鸟! A warm welcome to Birdforum from all the staff and moderators. (y)

Please keep in mind that Birdforum uses only English language. It would be great if you add at least the english translation to your posts. Thanks.

Looking forward to more posts from your side in the Binoculars subforum and also in all of Birdforum.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back