• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this Peregrine Falcon sick or do they just feel the heat? (1 Viewer)

Andy.R

Australia
I have a Peregrine Falcon that used to visit the ledge next to my office window everyday. In the beginning he/she was super timid and would fly off if I moved in my chair. Over time it became more comfortable and would come quite close to the window and stay for a few hours, unless the larger one on the area came across.

I hadn't seen it in about 6 or 7 months until yesterday. It doesn't look super well, breathing really heavy and kept trying to burrow into the corner. It's come back again and still puffing with its mouth open and keeps closing one eye and staring at me. It did just take off after a magpie though.

Not that there's anything I can do really but is this normal now that it's coming into summer and they just get affected by the heat? Also I'm in Sydney.

Attachments

• PXL_20221116_214033365.jpg
    PXL_20221116_214033365.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 17
They can get hot and look like they are panting (though I’m not sure birds actually do this like mammals). If this was just hot it could sit in the shade, so I suspect the odd behaviour, along with one closed eye means it is sick somehow.

Hi Andy and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I do hope he is OK, please let us know if you find out anything more, or let us know how he gets on.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back