• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this the true future of binoculars? (1 Viewer)

Is there any info on the instrument's weight, FoV, close focus, magnification or the size of the OG? I couldn't find anything on a quick look at their website. Without such information, it's impossible to draw any conclusions about its usefulness for birders.

Nope. Looks 10x50sized, so probably then a bit more than a kg in weight… guess! Depends on what they implement in the app. If it can take images then you might be able to feed them into Merlin. For nighttime pointing accuracy I’m wondering how precise it can be and whether plate solving is being used. Note that Nikon are involved with Unistellar, so the optics could be quite good.

Peter

Is there any info on the instrument's weight, FoV, close focus, magnification or the size of the OG? I couldn't find anything on a quick look at their website. Without such information, it's impossible to draw any conclusions about its usefulness for birders.
Or indeed anybody else. Except maybe braindead folk who just buy stuff to be 'cool'.

Unistellar operates in direct-to-digital astronomy technology, eyepiece optional. Vision identification is coming along strongly now, it will be fascinating to see how efforts on digital vision continue coming into the binocular market. In my part of the world, Swarovski has a long waitlist on the AX Visio. The Unistellar binocular suggests an early adopter price of $599, quantitative specifications not clear to me yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back