• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Islandergirl (1 Viewer)

Islandergirl

Hi to everyone on Birdforum,

I am new to birding but am learning from some great birders here on the Isle of Wight. Started out as a keen photographer but when you see some fantastic birds through the lens you just want to know more. I want to get some nice photo's but my lens is a little short. Does anyone know anything about the Tamron 200-500 lens, or the Sigma 170-500. Any thoughts would be helpful. There are some great birds here but as I'm new dont know many by name.

Hello Islandgirl and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

I think both these lenses have been discussed in our Optics Forum so take a look there and if you cannot find it, just post a new thread in that forum ;)

Birding on Island

DavidP said:
Welcome to the site, lots of good info.

I hope you already know of 2 great sites for the island

http://dbhale.members.beeb.net/IOW.htm

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/wightvogels/home.html

Great place to bird

David

Thanks for your welcome David. I have visited these sites a few times now. I met Derek Hale on the Bembridge ponds walk and he was so interesting to talk to. We spent a while watching a Kingfisher perched on a branch over the pond and swooping down to feed for quite a while. Derek got a great photo of it through his digiscope, and I got a distant one although I was well pleased.

Hi Islandergirl,

Just like to add my welcome. The island is a great place to bird and has some good birds as well as those red squirrels. I try to get some birding done whenever I'm down there visiting my folks, its the only chance I get to add Dartford Warbler to the year list.

Look forward to hearing your reports.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back