• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Isle of Wight Bird ID help (1 Viewer)

Dave Derrick

Supporter
England
Last piece of help please on birds photographed on the Isle of Wight in past two weeks. Picture attached. Very many thanks for assistance given so far; much appreciated. Dave.

Attachments

• IMG_4629 (2).jpg
    IMG_4629 (2).jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 218
Are there more pictures of this bird? I can't help it but to also consider an Isabelline Wheatear... not saying it is one!

Roland, just two more of this bird. Have attached them. Thanks, Dave.

Attachments

• IMG_4631 (2).jpg
    IMG_4631 (2).jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4633 (2).jpg
    IMG_4633 (2).jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 66
Hmm, still looks really pale overall and the creamy fringes to the coverts rather broad plus the alula contrastingly dark. Only overexposure in harsh light? Because on the other hand e.g. the pp is maybe too long for an Issy? I find it's an interesting bird...
Other opinions would be welcome!

I think you're right Roland, this bird is well worth a 2nd and a 3rd look. That black alula!! The photo is slightly overexposed but that would affect the alula as well, not increasing the constrast. It's starting to look very good to me. A pitty that there are no more photos, but these might just do it if well "squeezed" for info.

Last edited:
I agree structually it doesn't seem right for Isabelline (too small head) but even if taking overexposure into account, the plumage looks really good IMO. However, probably the photos are not good enough to really nail it. Pitty...

In any case, the following reference is relevant in this context (sorry, I don't have a pdf, only the magazine):
From the Rarities Committee's files: Identification of autumn Isabelline Wheathears. British Birds 93, vol. 10: 488-492.

I attach all the rest of the photos taken. Probably all a bit over-exposed .... but these are they. Thanks, Dave.

Attachments

• IMG_4627 (2).jpg
    IMG_4627 (2).jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4628 (2).jpg
    IMG_4628 (2).jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4630 (2).jpg
    IMG_4630 (2).jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4632 (2).jpg
    IMG_4632 (2).jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4634 (2).jpg
    IMG_4634 (2).jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 31
Thanks for all the pics, Dave. I'm afraid they don't help much. Just now I found time to have a look at my desktop computer. Hope you don't mind, I altered one of the pics. Indeed, it looks like a Northern to me now, though a pale one. The wings are just too long (almost reaching the tail tip)... sorry for the fuss.

Attachments

• wheatear_Isle-of-Wright.jpg
    wheatear_Isle-of-Wright.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 49
To all contributors to this post, very many thanks for your opinions and reasoning behind those opinions. No need to apologise for the fuss, your comments have been very much appreciated. Thank you to one and all. All the best, Dave.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back