• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Isle of Wight - Buzzard or Juv. Sea Eagle (1 Viewer)

alahol2

Hi all
Saw this guy sitting on a post in the Newtown River estuary. We were passing so never saw him fly. We know that White tailed sea eagles have been released on the Island so just wondered if this was maybe a juvenile?

Cheers all.

Attachments

• 2020-07-14-DSC03512.JPG
    2020-07-14-DSC03512.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 184

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Oh nice one what a wonderful find for you.

Hi Alahol and welcome to Birdforum from all the staff and moderators. I'm sure you will enjoy it here

alahol2

Very many thanks folks. We've had tantalising glimpses of, presumably, this bird disappearing over a woodland and off in the distance. It was brilliant to see him(/her?) up close, it was just difficult to believe our luck so thought we'd better check.
Again thanks for the info and the welcome.
Cheers

Kratter

Yes welcome alahol2....you’ve certainly erne’d it. ;)

I have been doing crossword puzzles for decades, and erne (had sometimes ern) is a common bit of "crosswordese" junk used to fill grids. But I have never seen anyone use the term out of the crossword context. Now I have! Is a legit term across the pond?

Andy

KenM

I have been doing crossword puzzles for decades, and erne (had sometimes ern) is a common bit of "crosswordese" junk used to fill grids. But I have never seen anyone use the term out of the crossword context. Now I have! Is a legit term across the pond?

Andy

Definition of erne- eagle especially: a long-winged sea eagle (Haliaetus albicilla) with a short white wedge shaped-tail.

Just to add, it's I believe a 19th Century term that was used at the time and carried into the 20th century), often used in UK crosswords.:t:

Cheers

Last edited:

david kelly

Drive-by Birder
Definition of erne- eagle especially: a long-winged sea eagle (Haliaetus albicilla) with a short white wedge shaped-tail.

Just to add, it's I believe a 19th Century term that was used at the time and carried into the 20th century), often used in UK crosswords.:t:

Cheers

It’s older than the 19th Century. There’s a place near St Abbs Head in Borders called Ernescleugh which means the “narrow valley of the (sea) Eagle”. It opens out to the North Sea.

David

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread