• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Israel - 14th to 20th February 2019 - with extension 21st to 23rd February 2019 (1 Viewer)

It is a relief about Fridays as I am sat on my arse in a firing zone surrounded by Thick-billed Larks. Steve - many many thanks.

Can you guys post coordinates for the HaMeisher location? I can't find it on maps.
the Thick-billed Larks were approximately at this position 30.423047, 34.924137. Usually park by the monument along Route 40 and walk out. Great Lark and Wheatear location

the Thick-billed Larks were approximately at this position 30.423047, 34.924137. Usually park by the monument along Route 40 and walk out. Great Lark and Wheatear location

Oh, I know that place, looked quite nice when I was driving though there, never would have guessed that's a Thick-billed Lark site!

A brilliant read as always Paul, many thanks for taking the trouble to post it! Some great photos too, I especially love the Black Bush Robin! Israel is a place very firmly on my radar!

Chris

Chris - many thanks

Opisska - if you come back, dig out Steve Arlow's report before you do. It is the closest to a comprehensive site guide as you can get. Hameishar also is a couple of ebird hotspots.

All the best

Always got the impression that ceased years ago Andy.
Same as KM19 which seems to have become way less reliable.

Think Lich Sandgrouse are difficult birds now sadly.

KM19 was popular and good (and considered reliable by some locals we met) in 2016, but that's now surprisingly not last year :)

The Eilat pumping station Litchensteins Sandgrouse ceased to be by the late 90s.

The Km19 Sewage Pond still attracts birds in the evenings but there is very little open space along the embankment for birds to come down now, only about 15-20 feet either side of the sluice. Perhaps someone from the IBRCE could clear some of the reeds to allow birds to return. If birders visit now they would have sit right above where any birds might come in to drink and I suspect they wouldn’t stay long in that case.

Some Litchensteins get seen in the evening overflying the IBRCE at dusk whilst if one is lucky finding birds during the day in Holland Park.

They are around but discovering a new site might mean staying till after dark at the various wet areas to see if any appear.

The Eilat pumping station Litchensteins Sandgrouse ceased to be by the late 90s.

The Km19 Sewage Pond still attracts birds in the evenings but there is very little open space along the embankment for birds to come down now, only about 15-20 feet either side of the sluice. Perhaps someone from the IBRCE could clear some of the reeds to allow birds to return. If birders visit now they would have sit right above where any birds might come in to drink and I suspect they wouldn’t stay long in that case.

Some Litchensteins get seen in the evening overflying the IBRCE at dusk whilst if one is lucky finding birds during the day in Holland Park.

They are around but discovering a new site might mean staying till after dark at the various wet areas to see if any appear.

I was there in 98 and saw them ok, came in at dusk as expected.

Last edited:
We have also spend a whole day looking for the stupid starlings because no other source mentioned where exactly they are seen, so this is a very valuable piece of information. Always makes me wanna go back and try again, just for closure

3 Vinous-breasted Starlings same location this afternoon.

All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back