• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Israel - 14th to 20th February 2019 - with extension 21st to 23rd February 2019 (1 Viewer)

For the nightjar? No, it was the security road check as you come into town from the north - sometimes it is manned, sometimes not. This night it was, and was because of this we were driving only a few kilometres an hour when the bird appeared. It literally hawked round in a fairly narrow section just metres from the road ...maybe insects attracted by the street lights? It had been a pretty cold day and evening, maybe insects in short supply, so the lights held added attraction this period?

The checkpoint is, plus or minus, adjacent to km 19 pool.

Know it well Jos, you jammed in there mate.
Can only hope they are also by the IBRCE.
Thx again.

Pharaoh Eagle Owl can be seen in date palms? What a weird error in choosing a habitat :) Anyway, Nick, seeing as you are going, let me remind you of the Shirihai's site near Idan, where we saw them in 2016 very easily, it's definitely worth checking.

As for the Desert Owls, I believe I have sent you the site where we heard them, if not, hit me with a PM - it's literally next to a tarmac road, so there is no excuse not to try it :)

PS: this thread really makes me wanna say screw everything and just fly over there, even if there is almost nothing to tick at this time (besides the evil OHBs, if only for "oWP"), but I think I am gonna maintain my cool and do Morocco in a month instead or something

Last edited:
Pharaoh Eagle Owl can be seen in date palms? What a weird error in choosing a habitat :) Anyway, Nick, seeing as you are going, let me remind you of the Shirihai's site near Idan, where we saw them in 2016 very easily, it's definitely worth checking.

As for the Desert Owls, I believe I have sent you the site where we heard them, if not, hit me with a PM - it's literally next to a tarmac road, so there is no excuse not to try it :)

PS: this thread really makes me wanna say screw everything and just fly over there, even if there is almost nothing to tick at this time (besides the evil OHBs, if only for "oWP"), but I think I am gonna maintain my cool and do Morocco in a month instead or something

Hi Jan yes mate I’m gonna try the site I’ll pm you when I get home. I have 2 nights in Eilat and 2 in Dead Sea area and 3 owl species and a nightjar species to try to connect with. I am quite used to scoring 0 though :)-.

I know traditionally pharoah Eagle Owls can be seen at Yotvata circular fields or at Iddan. E-bird shows them to be in the wider area but not recently at those precise locations. Recently occasionally around Eilat northern date palms or just south of Hazeva near km152.

I’m probably pissing in the wind regards Desert tawny owl, I’ve given up expecting any reply from certain individuals regards being guided to see them. Anyway I enjoy the thrill of the search myself even though I’m a bit scared of the dark :)-.

Also I just haven’t got the energy or strength at my age to bird all hours, hence I bird on my own and can rest when needed. I’m not a miserable **** honestly :)-. Eyesight and hearing and general sharpness all fast on the decline. I even celotape a piece of paper with an arrow pointing to the right to my dashboard, to remind me to drive on the correct side.

I think only 1 OHB still left, who knows that too may have gone but obviously I’m gonna try for it. I get a feeling thick-billed larks will also have gone as the flock at Hameishar are fast dissipating in number - down to 3 a week ago.

Weather looks perfect for this pale Englishman though, about 21-22 degrees C. :t:

Last edited:
Its quite easy to work out the plantations where hey breed. What exactly is so sensitive about the location? Other than it being private land, is it sensitive to bird the plantations just south of Almog?

Google Maps and this article help you determine where they are, at km 283 and km285 of Route 90 there is a side road leading through the plantations, so you aren't trespassing if you keep to them.

Thoughts? Excuse my ignorance.

https://www.birds.org.il/en/article/id/589
As I understand it the Pallid Scops Owls breeding plantations are in the West Bank so its not advisable to wander around at night with a torch looking for them, could attract attention on the IDF if they are not aware you are there. You could contact Eran Bakker or Amir Ben Dov for info on seeing them, I'm thinking of trying in March with Eran as I missed them last month in the Arava.

My January Trip report is up on Cloudbirders now.

As I understand it the Pallid Scops Owls breeding plantations are in the West Bank so its not advisable to wander around at night with a torch looking for them, could attract attention on the IDF if they are not aware you are there. You could contact Eran Bakker or Amir Ben Dov for info on seeing them, I'm thinking of trying in March with Eran as I missed them last month in the Arava.

My January Trip report is up on Cloudbirders now.

Steve, this what concerned me, and clearly is what Paul was referring to in being a sensitive area. I thought it might be the case, just wanted thoughts of those who go to Israel. I’ll give those plantations a miss and try a few wadis further south.

Appreciate the advice. I sort of suspected this might be the case in the West Bank but wasn’t entirely sure how it might affect birding.i agree birding at night there with a torch may not be the wisest move.

I think that the worst thing that can happen to you is being politely asked to leave. I have done all sorts of crazy things in "sensitive areas", to the point when I ended up on the other end of the spotlighting process than usual, but I never run into actual trouble. A place being technically in the West Bank does not in itself mean much.

I am not sure what "just south of Almog" actually means because satelite does not show any greenery adjacent to Almog from the south, but if it refers to the extensive area by road 90 SE of Almog, I would not even stutter before going there in the night. The only problem as far as I know is that the owls are not very loud and thus quite hard to find. I think the winter acacia method is easier, but it's probably too late for that.

I think that the worst thing that can happen to you is being politely asked to leave. I have done all sorts of crazy things in "sensitive areas", to the point when I ended up on the other end of the spotlighting process than usual, but I never run into actual trouble. A place being technically in the West Bank does not in itself mean much.

I am not sure what "just south of Almog" actually means because satelite does not show any greenery adjacent to Almog from the south, but if it refers to the extensive area by road 90 SE of Almog, I would not even stutter before going there in the night. The only problem as far as I know is that the owls are not very loud and thus quite hard to find. I think the winter acacia method is easier, but it's probably too late for that.

When I say south of Almog that’s just a vague description Jan, the article mentions the area concerned and I can only see one area and that is just west of route 90 by kalia beach. That is 2km in length at least. I don’t know if that is the plantation mentioned in the article, tho I can’t see where else it could be.

Plenty of ebird checklists:-

https://ebird.org/checklist/S49689878

https://ebird.org/checklist/S52940012

https://ebird.org/israel/checklist/S56590899

https://ebird.org/checklist/S58243563

A number of owls, falcons, warblers, nightjars, etc have locations masked but the Pallid Scops Owl records are public.

All the best

Thanks Paul, that certainly looks like the right location as was referred to in that article, or at least a reasonably good one. 2 of those records are February records too, though its interesting that they are seemingly recorded in neighbouring fields.

Also, it seems that birders routinely check these areas, so with discretion I think weather permitting, I will give it a go on the 2nd night in the Dead Sea area, with the first night dedicated to Desert Owl. With dusk at about 6pm, I needn't be out too late either which suits me down to the ground.

E-bird really is a superb source, I have been frantically checking it out, but I couldn't find those very useful sources. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back