• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Israel end of April/early May (1 Viewer)

ChrisA

Birding the Lincolnshire wastelands
I will arriving in Tel Aviv on 27/4 & making my way down to Eilat for a week. Can anyone give me any details on any good birding areas to visit and also any reasonable hotels on the way down from Tel Aviv to Eilat?

many thanks

Chris

Did you get "A guide to the birding hot-spots of southern Israel"?
Although helpful, some excellent areas north of Eilat have been destroyed by now (turned into date plantations etc.)

I can't help you with hotels – I usually made day trips from where I stayed (on the coast – not a good birding area).

The most interesting area to visit is probably the Dead Sea coast, where Fan-tailed Raven is easy, and all kinds of stuff is possible in the oases (but at all costs avoid Nahal David near Ein Gedi in the weekend). It is not that much of a detour from Tel Aviv to Eilat. I would definitely avoid driving via the West Bank.

Otherwise, you could take the route via Sede Boqer (I quite liked Nahal Zin). If you could stay near Sede Boqer, an excursion to Nizzana (although that's best on Saturday, when there are no army movements... which doesn't fit your schedule) would be advisable.

I have not succeeded in finding interesting Mediterranean scrub in central Israel, although I assume the area around Bet Guvrin could (still) hold some nice birds, like Long-billed Pipit.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies & for the tips (and will keep a close eye on my passport!). I've taken some notes off Opus in Israel which should come in handy. As we land late in the evening in Tel Aviv, we had hoped to find somewhere outside of Tel Aviv to stay for the night and then make our way to Eilat the following day stopping at any good birding spots. We had thought of visiting Nizzana on our way down but also doing a further day visit there from Eilat. Will definitely be going there as I gather it's the best place for seeing Houbara (McQueens) Bustard & also good for birds like Cream-coloured Courser. Will try and arrange a day visit for Saturday. Also looking to visit the Kibbutz Lotan Birdwatching Centre, Yotvata & Arava Valley areas, K19 & K20 saltpans. Eilat bird ringing station and have also heard of some areas of grassland north of Eilat that are good for birds like Caspian Plover & various larks. Will also check mountains close to Eilat for raptors 1st thing in the morning.

many thanks again

Chris

Chris,

I have just returned from a trip to southern Israel and would suggest an option of driving from Tel Aviv to the Dead Sea at En Gedi en-route to the south. PM me for some advice / options on Hume's Owl and Nubian Nightjar if you're keen.

Macqueen's Bustard are best viewed from the old road south to Azuz from Nizzana but whilst easy in March, I can't say how reliable they are in April/May. Beware that sandgrouse have not been easy this year as the area has been wet this winter and birds are drinking in the desert rather than at the more reliable pools.

Regards
Robin

by the way - expect your passport to be taken by security when departing Israel. Mine was taken for 15-20minutes at both Eilat and Tel Aviv. I'm not sure what you can do when the security guys are in a position of total control over the situation. Expect "friendly" interogation ;-)

Thanks for details of your website Lior - a great site with some very useful information for our trip

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back