• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Issue with SLC 15x56 HD lenses/coatings (1 Viewer)

jaymann

Hello fellow birders,
I bought these SLC 15x56 HD recently. They are probably manufactured in 2020. Today when my binoculars fogged up, I saw weird imperfection, I tried to clean them but they did not come off. I am not sure if they are inside or outside but I cannot clean them.

I am a little disappointed, because recently I have seen a lot of issues with brand new Swarovski products. Be it rifle scopes or binoculars, there is some issue with the finish or lenses all the time. Now I am not sure whether the products in Cabela’s are handled by people in the warehouse or something but they always have some kind of dirt or fingerprints on the lenses.

I have contacted Swarovski Optik via email, and let’s see how they can help me. Last year I had to send my binocular three times before they could get it right. I am a little nervous and disappointed from Swarovski Optik.

Please share your experiences or any suggestions if you can help.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 02EE28FC-31F8-4C41-B61A-B09B3FFEB803.jpeg
    02EE28FC-31F8-4C41-B61A-B09B3FFEB803.jpeg
    233.8 KB · Views: 125
  • D70F625F-CC00-4B3D-B5B9-54B4D5E6499F.jpeg
    D70F625F-CC00-4B3D-B5B9-54B4D5E6499F.jpeg
    284.3 KB · Views: 124
  • 0C7E179B-29EA-4B4C-A73C-41B983118E0E.jpeg
    0C7E179B-29EA-4B4C-A73C-41B983118E0E.jpeg
    240.3 KB · Views: 126
I would return them to Cabelas (I assume you bought them new not used), unless you have had them longer than the provided return timeframe. Swarovski however will help you out here. It is tough to tell if the issue is inside/or on the external lens surface from the photos. By the way I stopped buying optics from Cabelas a few years ago, many returns.

I would return them to Cabelas (I assume you bought them new not used), unless you have had them longer than the provided return timeframe. Swarovski however will help you out here. It is tough to tell if the issue is inside/or on the external lens surface from the photos. By the way I stopped buying optics from Cabelas a few years ago, many returns.
Thats the problem. My return period is over.

Well,

I would send them to Swarovski, and ask them what the issue is, internal/external. Then see what they can do.

Well,

I would send them to Swarovski, and ask them what the issue is, internal/external. Then see what they can do.
So far i have sent an email and called 3 times. Twice the call got dropped while I was talking to the agent but nobody called back!

20 mins wait time! Everytime you call

So far i am not happy with the responses. Greg from customer service says it is cosmetic and does affect the functioning of the binocular. And if i want to get the lenses replaced , it will cost $150 for each lens.
This is a load of crap. Any blemishes in the coating should be considered as defect and should be fixed by Swarovski. So far i have seen better service from Meopta and Vortex. So disappointing!

If the blemishes are internal you would have a case, however if the blemish is external they could say operator error. Another question they could ask, why did you not notice the issue soon after purchase? I am not defending them, just giving you a heads up.
I wonder why they are so busy, perhaps fixing some focus systems? (just a joke for the Swaro fans)

If the blemishes are internal you would have a case, however if the blemish is external they could say operator error. Another question they could ask, why did you not notice the issue soon after purchase? I am not defending them, just giving you a heads up.
I wonder why they are so busy, perhaps fixing some focus systems? (just a joke for the Swaro fans)
They are no scratches on the lenses and there is dust in the lenses. I did not check because I was expecting perfection from Swaro but i guess i was wrong multiple times as this has happened multiple times. I had an SLC 10x42 that has a lubricant spilled inside.

I did not say scratches, I mean if the coating has an issue internally on the lens, that would be easy to see in service at Swarovski.

Hi,

is really only cosmetic, if it calms you down my SLC 15x56 has slightly different coatings on the left and right side.
The lens on the left shimmers more like rose wine, the lens on the right is more red wine, Swarovski seems to like to play coating games.

Andreas

Attachments

• 17.12.2020 079.JPG
    17.12.2020 079.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 45
Hi,

is really only cosmetic, if it calms you down my SLC 15x56 has slightly different coatings on the left and right side.
The lens on the left shimmers more like rose wine, the lens on the right is more red wine, Swarovski seems to like to play coating games.

Andreas
Wow that is not expectable to me either. Mine is like they missed spots while applying the coatings or they scratched the coatings while installing the lenses. We pay top dollars for quality. If Swarovski says their low quality controls are normal then they should either fix the issues at no charge or lower their price.
They need to take "PERFECTION" word out of their advertisements.

Jaymann, the most important thing is you shouldn't notice anything negative visually, only psychology is playing a trick here!
Use the binoculars and enjoy it, too much trouble only leads to sleepless nights ...

Andreas

Jaymann, the most important thing is you shouldn't notice anything negative visually, only psychology is playing a trick here!
Use the binoculars and enjoy it, too much trouble only leads to sleepless nights ...

Andreas
I understand what you are saying. But are you understanding why I am disappointed? We paid more money for swaro products only to get bad quality and bad customer service? This is not right. As a customer we have the right to ask for manufacturing defects to be fixed free of charge! If it is Blemished then it should be sold as blemished or demo for a discounted price.

I understand what you are saying. But are you understanding why I am disappointed? We paid more money for swaro products only to get bad quality and bad customer service? This is not right. As a customer we have the right to ask for manufacturing defects to be fixed free of charge! If it is Blemished then it should be sold as blemished or demo for a discounted price.
Yes I understand!;)
I never had problems with the slightly different colored lenses because it has no visual relevance, but if you are not satisfied with your binocular, Swarovski should be so accommodating and swap the binocular or install flawless lenses free of charge.
Last year I had to send my binocular three times before they could get it right. I am a little nervous and disappointed from Swarovski Optik.
Yes, I already had ... but ... at the moment I have a FL 10x56 for the third time at Zeiss Service ... Service desert high-priced binoculars.:cry:

Andreas

I sent back an el that looked like it was drug behind a truck, even had a cracked ocular, not my doing btw, a rich bud on safari did the honors. Anyway they replaced it with a new binocular no charge. Getting the right person and not some random also helps. If it’s internal I would send them back.

Last edited:
I sent back an el that looked like it was drug behind a truck, even had a cracked ocular, not my doing btw, a rich bud on safari did the honors. Anyway they replaced it with a new binocular no charge. Getting the right person and not some random also helps. If it’s internal I would send them back.

My 15x56 has quite identical coatings, but my eyes perceive color rather differently. Perhaps your pair would solve my problem. Unless I would have to use them upside down...

My 15x56 has quite identical coatings, but my eyes perceive color rather differently. Perhaps your pair would solve my problem. Unless I would have to use them upside down...
Hi tenex,

It is not unusual that you perceive the colors differently with your two eyes, it is the same with me!
Just as the arms and legs etc. are differently "strong", eyes also have a different color perception, some people notice this, others do not notice it.

Andreas

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back