• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

It’s May!—has anybody bought/tried out a NL Pure 32 yet? (1 Viewer)

karmantra

Has anyone received a pre-ordered 32 yet, or seen one in a store? Is the E U getting theirs in stock, with North America to follow? I love my sand-colored pre field pro 8x32SV, but the new issue does intrigue me! Is the Pure 32 out there for delivery? Thanks!

Last edited:
No. We will have to wait a little longer and I'm sure one of our members who operates a retail outlet will let us know. Meanwhile a few initial "soft" general reviews by birders on YouTube.

I have briefly handled a 10x32 NL in orange. I generally dislike 10x32 as I seem to need a bigger exit pupil for comfort and ease of viewing.

These, however, were quite fabulous. The image was immediately brilliant and relaxing. Handling was superb. It was only ten or fifteen minutes outside a store, so I may take it back after more thorough evaluation, but usually first impressions are quite reliable for me, and this was one of the best.

- Kimmo

I have briefly handled a 10x32 NL in orange. I generally dislike 10x32 as I seem to need a bigger exit pupil for comfort and ease of viewing.

These, however, were quite fabulous. The image was immediately brilliant and relaxing. Handling was superb. It was only ten or fifteen minutes outside a store, so I may take it back after more thorough evaluation, but usually first impressions are quite reliable for me, and this was one of the best.
Thanks Kimmo. I'm looking forward to reading your more detailed assessment in the not too distant future ... :cool:

Now, if only Swarovski started making stabilised binoculars ...

Hermann

Just received an email from Swarovski 5am this morning with title:

NL PURE 32
New to the family just in time for Mother's Day!​

Interested in seeing the 10x32 and wonder how it compares to the SF 10x32

Does anyone here know if you can mount or adapt the NL Pure forehead rest onto the old Swaro EL either 8x32 or 8x42? I think you can put the hearest on the EL Ranges but I am not sure about that either. Just curious if anyone knows how or had tried and failed.

Does anyone here know if you can mount or adapt the NL Pure forehead rest onto the old Swaro EL either 8x32 or 8x42? I think you can put the hearest on the EL Ranges but I am not sure about that either. Just curious if anyone knows how or had tried and failed.
No it won't.
The old EL has no pinholes for the headrest mount and the ELRange has a different mount.
The headrest fits both NL32 and 42.
Jan

Mine (8x32) arrived today (no more running around wondering where you put your bino, this orange one shouts loudly at you and can't be overlooked ...)
First impressions probably next week. Looking forward to comments from other forum members who get theirs.

Canip

Attachments

• IMG_7445-1.jpg
    IMG_7445-1.jpg
    727.1 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
I got my NL today and took it out for a couple of hours birding. Here are my first thoughts. English is not my first language so mistakes and strange sentences will happen.

I sold my EL 8x32 SV because of its focusing mechanism. For me it was too hard to get it into focus, mostly on subjects further away. I live in a very open landscape and i had headaches because of not being able to fluently focus with the EL. In more forestry areas i had no problems with the EL.

I tried the NL, Zeiss SF and a leica, not sure wich one. It was a dark day with rain and overcast. I brought my EL and even that felt alot better than the Leica and SF in terms of light and colors in those dark conditions. I know this is mostly subjective but this was my conclusion, the swaro's felt the best.

After that test i decided to wait for the release of the NL 32mm, at that time they were not even announced yet so i was very happy i only had to wait a month.

FIrst impressions:

Feels very good in the hand. Ergonomics fit me prefectly, i have small hands. I think for people with large hands this 32mm version will be less suitable due to the slim waist. I think it will be too slim for people.
Weight wise i can tell it is a little heavier than the EL but as soon as i bring it to the eyes this feeling dissapears. The balance is just amazing, it almost feels like it becomes lighter when you start watching.
The focusing is probably the thing i like the most about this bino. Its feels just amazing, also on longer ranges. The feeling of being able to snap to a bird on any distance is what i missed in the EL. Focussing is smooth in both directions and focus depth is great. The centre positioning of the focus wheel is something i needed due to the size of my hands, its a very welcome change.

In terms of optical quality i dont feel there is a large difference between the NL and the EL. Offcourse the FOV is amazing and its one of the reasons the image feels way more immersive but sharpness and colors are similar. Testing this in one hour is offcourse hard. Maybe there is a difference in dusk or in rainy conditions.
The bino's need a little more finetuning because i had slightly more blackouts than with my EL. Once you are done the FOV makes it totally worth it.

I think i covered most factors but please, if you have any questions, feel free.

Thanks for your first thoughts on the new NL 8x32. I am not surprised to hear that the focuser is better. At the same time, the difference in FOV (6% larger) and in weight (8% heavier) seems so small that I am surprised you notice them. I am curious about the ergonomics, though. I like that one can securely grab the EL 8x32 more or less in the middle, especially when taking it sideways out of a tight bag. On the NL the hand is probably at least one finger more towards the front...

Can we assume correctly that you bought the 8 x 32 NL, rather that the 10x? Perhaps you had no issues with glare with your, 32El, but a few have complained about glare with the 42NL. Personally with my 8x42NL, I have not had that issue. Perhaps, on a brighter day, you could comment on that. You might want to tinker with the inter-pupillary setting a bit. When that was too narrow, I got blackouts with my 42NL. The eyecups, of course need to be just right, but the setting might be different than what you had with your EL. Congratulations on your new binos.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back