• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ivory Bill (1 Viewer)

Spike Lin

United States
I lived in Mandeville, La. for ten years prior to Katrina.
We had every kind of woodpecker imaginable and we had built our home in an isolated area at that time.
One morning I walked outside to enjoy my tea on the patio and there was the most enormous woodpecker perched on a dead pine.
It had a white bill...I knew nothing of The Ivory Billed Woodpeckers then.
It flew off and I made mention of it to my husband when he got home that evening.
He told me about the birds and said it was a Piliated...and I could not have seen an Ivory.
Well...I am an artist. I paint animal portraits and occasionally people.
I notice things...details.
To this day, I swear I saw an Ivory.
That was 1997.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum!
We are glad that you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like.

I want so badly to hear about the Ivory-billed still being somewhere around us and I never lose hope.

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Hi Spike Lin and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Just a very gentle warning about the Ivory-billed. There have been many discussions on this topic and a lot of them turn into thought battles so please do not become offended should this come about:)

Hi and welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Welcome to Birdforum!
You can still submit the record to a local bird society. Write as much details as you are sure you remember after 24 years. It will be rejected, but may be useful for some future study.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum!
We are glad that you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like.

I want so badly to hear about the Ivory-billed still being somewhere around us and I never lose hope.
Thank you!

I have yet to see an Ivory Bill, but my biggest life goal is proving that they still exist. Now, I have, in fact, lost all hope for the Imperial... Unfortunately, judging by the fact there is only one public recording of it and that was in the fifties, it's only logical. But the Ivory-Bill... I just know, I just know that it's somewhere out there. I feel it in my heart. And one day, I'll be reading the paper, and I'll say, "Well, what do you know! They really did find a living one." And, perhaps, if us humans do everything right... in fifty years, they could be a common visitor on your hiking checklist. I dream...

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back