• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ivory-Billed Woodpecker continued (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the research. This all has to be balanced, of course, with IMWO's range being huge.
IMWO's range was huge but there is now no suitable habitat left for it, a loss which occurred in synergy with persecution, hence its extinction. Also see Passenger Pigeon, Carolina Parakeet, IBWO....

Hi,

We know what drove IBWO to extinction - a loss of its old growth forest habitat below critical landscape thresholds and coupled with direct persecution.

In the words of the "Ivory-billed Woodpecker (Campephilus principalis) 5-Year Review:
Summary and Evaluation" by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service ...

https://ecos.fws.gov/docs/five_year_review/doc6021.pdf

D. Synthesis

For decades, many individuals and organizations have searched for the IBWO in its
historic range throughout the southeastern United States. This review of the status of
IBWO revealed no conclusive evidence that a population of IBWOs survived within the
historic range of the species. Decline of mature forested habitat with a high percentage of
recently dead or dying trees and widespread collection of the species led to the
extirpation of the population sometime after the 1940s. Although there have been many
sightings reported over the years since the last agreed upon sighting in 1944, there is
much debate over the validity of these reports. Furthermore, there is no objective
evidence (e.g., clear photographs, feathers of demonstrated recent origin, specimens, etc.)
of the continued existence of the species. Thus, we recommend that the ivory-billed
woodpecker (Campephilus principalis), as originally listed in 1967, be delisted based on
extinction.

The recommendation of the evaluation is "Delist based on extinction", but I'm not quite sure if that recommendation was officially accepted.

Regards,

Henning

I began this thread so will answer. In your post, change--
"convincing" to "mentioning"
"largely European" to "partly USA" (or researchers able to travel to USA)
"absolutely nothing" to "possibly something"
and you have the reason.

I've seen the IBWO possibly four times. The first was chance (but while birding in its habitat). This caused me to become a focused student. The last three sightings were in a suspected IBWO spot with numerous probable encounters. I was invited, used a previously untried field technique-- playing juvenile Magellanic Woodpecker begging calls to force an approach, and had in a short amount of field time, three encounters with birds that would be hard to explain as another species. So, yes, it's worth the time to be here and mention this.
Sounds like some evidence, even if not proof. Can you expand at all? I can certainly understand why you might not be willing to name the site, but any details would help those of us with an interest and an open mind to make a personal judgement. At the very least, what time of year was this; this might be a key to successful future searches.

Sounds like some evidence, even if not proof. Can you expand at all? I can certainly understand why you might not be willing to name the site, but any details would help those of us with an interest and an open mind to make a personal judgement. At the very least, what time of year was this; this might be a key to successful future searches.
THIS is the position skeptics should have. A polite inquisitiveness will make room for IB searchers to offer information on their sightings and other evidence. Instead, we've been getting dishonest comparisons with BAWA and Carolina Paraquets which have not been reported for decades.

Let people know they will not be ridiculed and subjected to snide remarks made from atheist to atheist applauded by the silent and ignorant lurkers. You might be surprised what you will see.

If there is some "big surprise" coming as 1TS suggested (I have no idea what he alluding to), give it some space, consider it, and ask for more. Resist the urge to dismiss the evidence without carefully examining it. And even then, be polite, and see what comes next.

THIS is the position skeptics should have. A polite inquisitiveness will make room for IB searchers to offer information on their sightings and other evidence. Instead, we've been getting dishonest comparisons with BAWA and Carolina Paraquets which have not been reported for decades.
Putative BAWA video taken in 2002, which was 2 years prior to Arkansas.

It wasn't for your benefit, but for Bottomlands claiming there are no contemporary reports.
One two-decade old video which no one claimed was actually a BAWA (Sievert said it was a "possible" BAWA http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/birding-aus/2006-08/msg00321.html ) is not comparable with IB sightings of the past few years. It is absolutely not contemporary with Motiheal's sightings (among others). It is a false and misleading comparison, just like your comparison with Sasquatch that never existed. If you don't understand that, then maybe you're not dishonest but simply have very poor reasoning skills.

Last edited:
One two-decade old video which no one claimed was actually a BAWA (I think Sievert said it was "possibly" BAWA) is not comparable with IB sightings of the past few years. It is absolutely not contemporary with Motiheal's sightings (among others). It is a false and misleading comparison, just like your comparison with Sasquatch that never existed. If you don't understand that, then maybe you're not dishonest but simply have very poor reasoning skills.
Its a poor video taken by someone who thought they were seeing an extinct species. People give credence to BAWA sightings from '88, in a manner not dissimilar to people giving credence to IBWO sightings on Cuba at the same time. Either way all unconfirmed and unlikely. I'll not walk you through Sasquatch again, those that get it know.

Its a poor video taken by someone who thought they were seeing an extinct species. People give credence to BAWA sightings from '88, in a manner not dissimilar to people giving credence to IBWO sightings on Cuba at the same time. Either way all unconfirmed and unlikely. I'll not walk you through Sasquatch again, those that get it know.
Those that "get it" are idiots.

Has anyone got a link to a convincing field description of a recent IBWO sighting, that describes the sighting in detail and explains how, eg, leucistic PIWO and leucistic corvids were ruled out?

I'm assuming there must be some descriptions out there if there have been several claimed sightings. I know the first thing that I would do if I was confident that I'd seen one, is describe everything in as much detail as possible, as soon after the sighting as possible, and make my description as public as I possibly could to help spread awareness, even if I had to keep the exact location secret for a reason. I would also be more than happy to invite scrutiny of what I'd noted, in case I might have overlooked something. Apologies if I've missed any such descriptions over the last few years.

Why would Zebras, living in a dangerous world, move much slower than at a gallop all the time? I don't know, but they certainly do.

The idea that birds fall out of the sky at less than top speed is, as I hope you're well aware of, entirely ridiculous of course, so why are you serving me this kind of nonsense when I ask for actual scientific evidence?
Examination of bird flight is divided into distinct actions that are them compared between taxa.

How I read it here and what I know is that comparisons are made between level flight of birds between taxa. Your zebra analogy is about acceleration action not what was discussed here. I do not see that anywhere or in the video analysis that acceleration is involved. In fact level flight is mentioned many times.

Why have you used acceleration which is not pertinet ?

And birds will stall in various conditions and most condtions if they do not overcome forces. A stall occurs because a bird can actually feel the force of lift decreasing as angle of attack becomes too great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back