• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ivory-billed Woodpecker (formerly updates) (4 Viewers)

I would be very surprised if one of the primary actions in the final version of the plan is not to secure some definitive documentation to establish the bird as extant. What form that documentation will take, I do not know. I doubt though, that whatever form is defined will satisfy every individual represented here - nor should it be expected to.

It's not really about proving a negative. It has much more to do with how thorough search efforts have been and whether there have been any credible sightings.

If you compare and contrast the IUCN entries for the C. Principalis and C. Imperialis, you'll find that they're vastly different. Here are two of the most salient passages for the IBWO:

"Strong claims for this species's persistence in Arkansas and Florida have emerged since 2004 although the evidence remains highly controversial."

"Between the last confirmed sightings in 1944 and the 2004 records discussed above there were a further 20 credible unconfirmed reports from within its historic range. The species is considered likely to be extinct in Cuba, as intensive searches have not found any new records subsequent to those of the late 1980s." (Citations omitted.)

With regard to the Imperial:

"This species has not been recorded with certainty since 1956, and extensive habitat destruction and fragmentation combined with hunting may well have driven the species extinct. Extensive and prolonged searches within its former range (often following up on anecdotal reports) have failed to confirm the persistence of any individuals. Thorough mapping and analysis of remaining habitat has been conducted and the results do not provide much hope that any population has been able to survive. However, it cannot yet be presumed to be Extinct as the degree to which individuals can utilise sub-optimal regenerating forest is unknown, and it remains possible that some individuals survive. Any remaining population is likely to be tiny, and for these reasons it is treated as Critically Endangered (Possibly Extinct). "

The IUCN red list also lists Imperial Woodpeckers as extant. Problems with proving a negative and all that.

It's not really about proving a negative. It has much more to do with how thorough search efforts have been and whether there have been any credible sightings.

If you compare and contrast the IUCN entries for the C. Principalis and C. Imperialis, you'll find that they're vastly different. Here are two of the most salient passages for the IBWO:

"Strong claims for this species's persistence in Arkansas and Florida have emerged since 2004 although the evidence remains highly controversial."

"Between the last confirmed sightings in 1944 and the 2004 records discussed above there were a further 20 credible unconfirmed reports from within its historic range. The species is considered likely to be extinct in Cuba, as intensive searches have not found any new records subsequent to those of the late 1980s." (Citations omitted.)

With regard to the Imperial:

"This species has not been recorded with certainty since 1956, and extensive habitat destruction and fragmentation combined with hunting may well have driven the species extinct. Extensive and prolonged searches within its former range (often following up on anecdotal reports) have failed to confirm the persistence of any individuals. Thorough mapping and analysis of remaining habitat has been conducted and the results do not provide much hope that any population has been able to survive. However, it cannot yet be presumed to be Extinct as the degree to which individuals can utilise sub-optimal regenerating forest is unknown, and it remains possible that some individuals survive. Any remaining population is likely to be tiny, and for these reasons it is treated as Critically Endangered (Possibly Extinct). "

The entries evaluate the strength of claims/evidence. However, since there is no actual proof of extantness for either species (credible observations and strong claims are not proof), the laws of dichotomy dictate that the listings as CR rather than EX are because neither species can be proven to be extinct.

Halftwo - thanks for the Birthday wishes

Last edited:
It is a dead woodpecker. It has ceased to be.

Please, concentrate of saving some Hawaiian endemics, before more follow the Po'ouli et al.

At this time of reminiscing, I wonder if any of you ever think of Mary Scott of Ivory-billed Woodpecker fame? Well Cyberthrush has an intersting link here where she figures prominently:

http://ghostbirdmovie.com/preview/maryscott.html

In fact you should check out Cyberthrush's recent IBWO posts.

And here's a link I like, because of the time of year. It might be enjoyed by True Believers, Agnostics or out-and-out Atheists.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nxbAIMjDQdQ

Do I post it because the singers are Irish?
No.
Because they're priests?
No.
Because they can sing?
Now you're talking!

Happy Christmas, folks.

Last edited:

Well I am truly sorry to learn of the death of Fielding Lewis, another grand old character associated with the Ivory-billed Woodpecker story. He was referred to several times in this thread because of the (admittedly controversial) photographs he took in the early1970s of an Ivory-billed Woodpecker. On the basis of de mortuis nil nisi bonum - say nothing bad about the dead - I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and believe that he did indeed encounter the bird.
Fielding Lewis was an expert duck hunter and outdoorsman from Louisiana and as such was as likely a candidate as any to see an Ivorybill. I will leave you with words from his own book, "Tales of a Louisiana Duck Hunter":

In the fall of 1970, I was hunting ducks in a swamp some three miles from the point of my first sighting. When we had completed our hunt at approximately 8:30 that morning, a friend and I were walking out of the swamp on a ridge, when I suddenly spotted two large birds as they flew across an opening. I heard the yamp, yamp, yamp that Dr Lowery had described to me, as I watched a beautiful pair of ivory-billed woodpeckers alight on the trunks of cypress trees some forty yards away.

"Look," I shouted; "those are ivory-billed woodpeckers."
"How do you know?" my friend asked.
"Look at their bills, look at the red topnotch, listen to their call. I know they're ivorybills!"
"The one I saw fly across didn't have any red topnotch. It was black," he replied.
"That's right," I said. "That's the female." I watched the birds as they flew from tree to tree, very active and alive, giving forth with their yamps, and I had a sudden desire to shoulder my Model 12 and bring one of them down with a load of number 6 shot. "I'll send some proof to Dr Lowery," I thought, but just as suddenly as the idea had entered my mind, it vanished and I eased my grip on the gun and relaxed. We watched the birds until they flew deeper into the swamp and disappeared...................

Rest in Peace, Fielding Lewis.

Last edited:
Lord God

Wow, that was a surprise, when I read the description I could think of only one thing...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jzYzVMcgWhg

Enjoy

All these priests, Peterbrash as befits, perhaps, The Lod God Bird.

But then again .......
If I were out in Fielding Lewis's Louisiana swamps, and if I saw an Ivory-billed Woodpecker, (I can dream) I don't suppose that I would state,"Good Heavens! I do believe that I have just seen The Lord God Bird!"

And I don't believe that's quite what Fielding Lewis said either.

All these priests, Peterbrash as befits, perhaps, The Lod God Bird.

But then again .......
If I were out in Fielding Lewis's Louisiana swamps, and if I saw an Ivory-billed Woodpecker, (I can dream) I don't suppose that I would state,"Good Heavens! I do believe that I have just seen The Lord God Bird!"

And I don't believe that's quite what Fielding Lewis said either.

I might mutter one or two 'Father Jackisms' myself if I came across one. Nice to read the quote from Fielding, he obviously enjoyed the moment and the bird rather than get trigger happy.

From the webpage linked by Salar53:
'The Florida team has a second conservation mission: to survey other birdlife in remote areas of the Everglades. It’s possible that the mangrove ecosystem serves as an important wintering or stopover point for Black-throated Blue Warblers, Swainson’s Warblers and other species—but nobody knows.'

There is an important update from Cornell here:
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/ivory/latest/seasonstart09/document_view

Searches will be carried out from East Texas to South Illinois and West Tennessee, and from South West Florida up to North Carolina.

Whether or not there are still Ivory Bills' out there at least some new knowledge may come from the search (and may well have been discovered in past searches) - if the IBW was considered extinct how likely would surveys of these remote areas be?

Yes, there is a good chance it is extinct, but lets hope that something is found because otherwise it seems the search (and the secondary surveys that are undertaken at the same time) is going to be scaled right down:
'If no birds are confirmed, the Cornell Lab of Ornithology will not send an organized team into the field next year.'

it seems the search (and the secondary surveys that are undertaken at the same time) is going to be scaled right down:
'If no birds are confirmed, the Cornell Lab of Ornithology will not send an organized team into the field next year.'

Finally, a tacit admission they may have got this horribly wrong. After all, if they really believed they were just plain unlucky to not find any birds, they'd keep going, wouldn't they? Given the extreme rarity and importance of conserving the evidently small population.

I guarantee there will have been an awkward meeting at Cornell in the not too distant past where some awkward realities have been tabled. Have we got this wrong? Have we damaged our credibility? Can we salvage anything from this mess? What is our exit strategy now we're in so deep?

Once they've stepped back from this debacle and distanced themselves, the field will be left clear for the mavericks and the individuals who truly believe (either in the bird's extant status, or the commercial possibilities afforded by having a good tale to tell).

ce

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back