• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ivory-billed Woodpecker (formerly updates) (4 Viewers)

Bonsaibirder said:
From reading all his posts on this thread, do you honestly think Tim is waiting for IBWOs to be nailed down so that he can twitch them?

He has stated in this thread or the other one, and in pm's that he "wants to be TAKEN" to see the IBWO.

do you really think i demanded to be taken to see the bird? why not post that quote...?

I travel abroad to watch birds and have even lived aborad to watch birds I have always travelled independently and found my own birds - except for one trip to Tibet which was the OBC fundraising tour.

Next week myself and anoter BF member are off to Arunachal Pradesh - we will be finding our own birds.

you are completely out of the loop dear

Tim

Tim Allwood said:
do you really think i demanded to be taken to see the bird? why not post that quote...?

I travel abroad to watch birds and have even lived aborad to watch birds I have always travelled independently and found my own birds - except for one trip to Tibet which was the OBC fundraising tour.

Next week myself and anoter BF member are off to Arunachal Pradesh - we will be finding our own birds.

Tim

Doin't have time to look for it but I DO remember the thread.

Tim Allwood said:
do you really think i demanded to be taken to see the bird? why not post that quote...?Tim

Ok, here are a few:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=33968&page=197&pp=25
#4907 - bolding mine

Tim Allwood said:
no, once this crap is put to bed i'll leave you all alone.

btw, i have six weeks school holiday coming up. IBWO would sure be a good one to impress my mates with in Norwich. I could fund my own stay. Can anyone show me their IBWOs?

I'll take some PROPER field notes and get a pic with my coolpix. Enough people know me to believe I won't be bullshitting.

Tim

#4916 - bolding mine

Tim Allwood said:
shame they all seem to be on 'private' land, isn't it? You'd think they'd waive that to get confirmation of IBWO on the land - it'd make them very rich for a start...

as you are all so fond of saying... 'very interesting'

ha ha ha

so, can someone show me one?

Tim

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=33968&page=201&pp=25

#5003 - bolding mine

Tim Allwood said:
when can i see then?

put up or shut up

I'll come if you can show me

#5011 - bolding mine

Tim Allwood said:
I was asked to see if anyone would take me up on my offer to go to their hot zones

I've tried but had no joy

well, what a suprise, as you know from my PM which will remain private as long as i'm not pushed too far

Tim

And from a pm Tim says: - bolding mine
"I've asked the (deleted) to take me to their IBWOs"

Last edited:
Tim Allwood said:

Tim

Gee Timbo, what do I have to do to be in your exclusive loop? Do I need approval from the Rare Birds Committee? I will say though, that on my last birding trip/fundraising tour with the king of France and Angelina Jolie, I saw a grand total of 252 different species in one day. That should get me in for sure.

so where is the demand you mentioned then? If you cannot see the point i was making then you are ten times thicker than you display here on a daily basis.

crass, dear

anyway, it's Sunday morning. I have to be in church now

Tim

I never used the word demand Tim. You were the one who introduced that word into the discussion in post #10087, not me.

The quotes of yours that I have just posted in #10089 back-up my original statement which was posted in #10078. I do not have to justify the usage of a word that I have never used. The tactic you have used here, Tim, works very well in a spoken conversation, but fails when used in print.

But now I would like you to justify your clever attempt to claim that I used the word demand when I clearly did not.

TimeShadowed

Tim Allwood said:
Tim

Tim Allwood said:
so where is the demand you mentioned then? If you cannot see the point i was making then you are ten times thicker than you display here on a daily basis.

crass, dear

anyway, it's Sunday morning. I have to be in church now

Tim

Last edited:
Jane Turner said:
And perhaps I should add, distinctly lacking in many people from the other side of the Atlantic!

I'm not as dense as Tim would like to think.

I understand that the concept that he was trying to make was that no one could show him a bird that he did not feel existed.

However, I still stand by what I've said all along - that he is unwilling to spend his own time and money to help in the search for the IBWO. But that when the time comes that someone does locate an active nest cavity, only then would Tim consider taking a trip to see the nesting bird worthwhile.

Last edited:
That would be ok with me, if Tim would stop taking 'pot-shots' in this thread at the IBWO searchers. Why can't he just ignore this thread? Why does he feel so compelled to ridicule anyone who searches for the IBWO? His behavior in this thread shows a serious lack of consideration for the time and effort of others who are trying to save the USA bottomlands from the bulldozers.

Jane Turner said:
I would imagine that Tim believes that his time and effort are better spent seeking out critically endangered species in the oriental region. As opposed to adding the current IBWO circus.

He does have a track record of locating and photographing seriously rare birds.

http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=29316

http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=29317

http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=29318

I don't think Tim takes pot shots at searchers. He does take pot shots at people who claim to have seen the species then fail to back it up and also at people who read way too much into some extremely tenuous evidence, treating it as though it was cast iron.

He does also take exception to some significantly less than scientifically rigourous reporting carried out by people who really should know better. Something I wholeheartedly agree with him on.

timeshadowed said:
That would be ok with me, if Tim would stop taking 'pot-shots' in this thread at the IBWO searchers. Why can't he just ignore this thread? Why does he feel so compelled to ridicule anyone who searches for the IBWO? His behavior in this thread shows a serious lack of consideration for the time and effort of others who are trying to save the USA bottomlands from the bulldozers.

Surely if you believe in a fair world you should also believe in equal access to a forum thread? For every rabid believer posting that just because the only contempory photo looks like a fake doesn't mean it is, there should be just as rabid disbelief from those like Tim? If you don't like it, find a forum where all sceptiscism is excised, there are plenty about.

Imaginos said:
Surely if you believe in a fair world you should also believe in equal access to a forum thread? For every rabid believer posting that just because the only contempory photo looks like a fake doesn't mean it is, there should be just as rabid disbelief from those like Tim? If you don't like it, find a forum where all sceptiscism is excised, there are plenty about.

That is not what I said at all, so stop trying to change the subject. I was not implying that the viewpoints of skecptics should not be discussed in this thread.

Edited to add:
And before someone posts quotes from the past. I'll just admit that I have tried in the past to get the skeptics to start their own thread and limit this one for reporting 'new information/updates' on the search. That is the way I thought that the originator of this thread had wanted it to be. I thought that discussion - both pro and con - of the 'evidence' should have its own thread. It had nothing to do with 'equal access'.

I have also been annoyed by some who have been too lazy to read what has already been throughly discussed in this thread and who have wanted that same material discussed over and over again as if it had never been addressed in this thread before. But again, that is not calling for limiting access.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back