• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ivorybill Searcher's Forum: Insights and current reports (1 Viewer)

My biggest problem with blinds of the type that the CLO has set up is the noise and disturbance associated with building them. This may have spooked the birds from areas they had been frequenting, at least temporarily. There is also the noise and disturbance associated with armies of volunteers making cavity and foraging sign inventories. I think it is critical to obtain those data, but I don't think we should expect to get ivory-bill sightings or video in the same area and season that such activities are taking place. Finally, I think canoes, while generally more stable than kayaks, are too conspicuous, and paddle bangs and flashes add to the problem.

I and others are very concerned about large groups of volunteers in critical areas. It is our belief that the birds will readily abandon a given area in a given season. We feel it is better to use small numbers of searchers, limit their movements in the area, and drill into them the need for absolute quiet at all times and maximum stealthiness while moving through the area.

Bigdad and Fang have given some good, effective search tips. For those heading out into the swamps, remember these wise words!

Fangsheath,

You could be right. The evidence (or lack thereof) supports your concern about blinds and large scale efforts. The Kullivan/Sparling sightings were made by individuals quietly sitting on the ground or in a kayak in a likely spot.

Years ago when I studied nesting American Kestrels I learned that, early in the nesting cycle, human disturbance of the area around the nest cavity often caused them to abandon their nest and relocate. Once the nestlings were half grown they would not abandon their investment if disturbed. If IBWO behaves in a similar way, one or more disturbances could cause a nesting pair to relocate and perhaps lower their reproductive success. They could be abandoning nests that were not detected in the first place.

fangsheath said:
My biggest problem with blinds of the type that the CLO has set up is the noise and disturbance associated with building them. This may have spooked the birds from areas they had been frequenting, at least temporarily. There is also the noise and disturbance associated with armies of volunteers making cavity and foraging sign inventories. I think it is critical to obtain those data, but I don't think we should expect to get ivory-bill sightings or video in the same area and season that such activities are taking place. Finally, I think canoes, while generally more stable than kayaks, are too conspicuous, and paddle bangs and flashes add to the problem.

I and others are very concerned about large groups of volunteers in critical areas. It is our belief that the birds will readily abandon a given area in a given season. We feel it is better to use small numbers of searchers, limit their movements in the area, and drill into them the need for absolute quiet at all times and maximum stealthiness while moving through the area.

Last edited:
bigdad said:
Bernie,

Thanks for the post, you make some great points.

In the IBWO searches I have been on, walking around in the forest is a complete waste of time. Leaves and branches constantly make a racket and most of the time your attention is on the ground or the course in front of you. Nearly all wildlife sees you long before you see them and gets out of sight.

Canoeing/kayaking can be much better because it can be much quieter and allows penetration to remote areas. Unfortunately many times team members are talking, not paying attention, distracted by operating the boat, or making sudden movements thereby negating their stealthy potential.

Cornell has a series of blinds installed at strategic points on the Cache River offerring good views. Many many hours spent in them by many people has not yielded results yet...

Again, to each his own. We have two sightings and audio recordings for our work. This on our own nickel, and done by a very few people.

If you can't walk through the woods without making enough noise to wake the dead, how are you going to get to your blinds without scaring everything away? Simply put, moving slowly and quietly may work very well. It is quite possible to work close to birds if you aren't an idiot about it. If you have a bunch of idiots talking out there I doubt you will get results.

Screaming "Ivory Bill" won't get much done either except to scare away the bird in sight and every other bird for a mile. Cornell's efforts have been ineffectual for a reason.

Kayaking may work, except when I am standing in mud I highly doubt that I will get very far in a kayak. The terrain dictates what one has to do more than the other way around. And, as you say, people have to operate the equipment. Hard to look and paddle at the same time. Hence we get the Luneau aka Bigfoot video. I am not picking on Mr. Luneau or his hard work, but merely noting that the video is not the best in the world and has been subject to great critical attention. He would probably admit the same. He has obtained more than most.

I don't think I could kayak in many of the places where there are standing waters as there are so many trees and knees. So that leaves the options of standing still (at a place you still have to walk to) or moving throughout areas. I walk. Then stand. Always listen, walk a little more. Watch where I am stepping less than out of fear of snakes but to make sure I am not breaking every branch in the area. It is possible to walk quietly.

My methods have worked well enough to where I have almost had a picture twice. If I didn't act like an idiot the first time I would have had a picture. Yes, I can even criticize myself.

Again, to each his own. Multiple approaches to resolving this issue may be the ticket to getting it done. Good luck to all involved.

Jesse

Last edited:
Bigdad;

Nothing to be sorry about. I am just pointing out that there is more than one way to skin the cat. What works for some may not work for others. Further, much of what you say is true. Walking around and "waking the dead", pun fully intended, is probably not going to work. This aint a nature hike. And slapping your buddies on the back and smokin n. jokin just won't do it.

Sitting in a blind all day may work. But we still have to find the place to put the blind first. I thought I had a place and the tree fell. Still working on it.

Besides, Lamb in his article on Cuban Ivory bills really pointed out something that I think is important. These birds will nest by human beings IF they are not screwed with. One time is all it takes, though, and these birds will disappear quick. Birds that hadn't been hunted apparently would follow the people in the woods with some curiousity. Once shot at they became very wary indeed.

We may have a difference in that where some people look hunting or shooting at least occurs. The birds may flee quicker. Where I look people are around but no hunting occurs in this area. The birds are not following around curiously looking at me (I wish) but at the same time they appear to be more human tolerant than say in the White River. My thought, not really scientific.

cinclodes said:
The poor quality of the video was due to the light conditions and the fact that the bird was distant.

If you have longer optics or a higher resolution sensor it is essentially equivalent to reducing the distance between you and the bird. With the addition of a 2x multiplier to the front of your camcorder you would get 4x the number of bird pixels at the same distance from the bird, or you would be getting roughly the same image as if you were at 1/2 the distance. I don't know what camcorder you are using so I am not sure of the availability of multipliers. Something to consider, though it seems like you're set on what you are doing.

the veeb

theveeb said:
If you have longer optics or a higher resolution sensor it is essentially equivalent to reducing the distance between you and the bird. With the addition of a 2x multiplier to the front of your camcorder you would get 4x the number of bird pixels at the same distance from the bird, or you would be getting roughly the same image as if you were at 1/2 the distance. I don't know what camcorder you are using so I am not sure of the availability of multipliers. Something to consider, though it seems like you're set on what you are doing.

the veeb
I will invest in a better camera if I start having long duration sightings. I'm somewhat hopeful this will happen, especially after having a sighting late this afternoon. There were two of us. For the field notes fans, the other observer immediately drew a sketch that matches what I saw and also matches the dorsal view of an ivorybill (with the exception that neither of us resolved dorsal stripes). Since it's about ten miles from the other sightings, I suspect there is a different pair in this area. Whether one is a skeptic or not, the presence of one pair in the Pearl suggests that there are multiple pairs occupying similar habitat to the north. Today's sighting was shortly before sunset, and the bird was in flight, which may provide a clue to the direction of a roost site. This was my first visit to this area. I was following up on multiple reports by locals during the past two years.

Geoff Hill = Team Player. For those who may be wondering what Geoff Hill is like, let me point out that he forwarded to me a report by a local that led to my sighting today. Some are involved in the search for ivorybills merely for their own glory. People like Geoff have more commendable motives. I wish there were more like him.

Mike,

Glad to hear you had a new sighting today, bodes well for the coming season. Here's a friendly challenge to all fellow searchers - I will be out there this season and I am very quick on the draw with my little machine. The ghost's days are numbered, better get your shot soon.

fangsheath said:
Mike,

Glad to hear you had a new sighting today, bodes well for the coming season. Here's a friendly challenge to all fellow searchers - I will be out there this season and I am very quick on the draw with my little machine. The ghost's days are numbered, better get your shot soon.
We'll have to call you Quickdraw McFangsheath. I'll one-up your challenge. You better get your shot real soon. I have a good feeling about getting a photo of this bird. The last time my confidence was this high, I got the video two days later.

I see no harm in using tree stands for locating the Ivory-billed Woodpecker. After all, how much success have they had in Arkansas from the ground or canoe searches these last couple of years? We must remember, Tanner, Allen, and the others, as good as their work is, is not the end-all of Ivory-billed Woodpecker research. Ivory-bills may make no notice of tree stands in Florida, where they may avoid them like the plauge in Arkansas. We simply don't have enough research on Ivory-bills to make some assumptions as we'd like. Used scientifically, tree stands may be a plus in searches for this bird. One thing that is missing in the previous posts, please, please, please, secure yourself in a tree stand. Every year here in West Virginia, we have deaths and serious, life-long injuries from hunters falling from their tree stands. Hunting deer, as well as Ivory-bills requires little to no movement. Sitting this still, one can find themselves asleep in no time. It takes less time than that to fall to the ground. So please be careful.
Also, tree stands can be left in place for the whole season, thus less intrusion to the birds. Of course, there is always that chance someone may vandalized or steal your tree stand. But I bet a quick note of that to us will get you some donations to replace your equipment.
In any event, keep us informed on your Ivory-billed searches, whether by foot, canoe, or tree stand. This all makes for very interesting reading. Now if someone could just spot an Eskimo Curlew!

timeshadowed said:
To Mike, Fang, Jesse, Goatnose, Choupicque, Christen and all the other searchers for the IBWO - Good Luck this season![/QUOTE

Thanks Time and May I wish good luck to you and them also.
Good day for searching yesterday, blue partly cloudy, some North wind. The White River at 14.3 did not make the predicted 20ft range so still searching by foot. North Unit north of Burnt Cypress, appears that maintenance work is active currently on the birding trails in this area, fresh paint etc. Spent the morning setup in a dry beaver slough with Video running. A family of 5 Pileated were using the area as well as several other Pic.species. A rich Picidae area, one of my favorites.
Archery season opened this morning therefore, out of respect for them; I did not search this morning.

timeshadowed said:
To Mike, Fang, Jesse, Goatnose, Choupicque, Christen and all the other searchers for the IBWO - Good Luck this season!
Thanks! I just hope that I haven't already used up my allotment of luck.

cinclodes said:
There were two of us. For the field notes fans, the other observer immediately drew a sketch that matches what I saw and also matches the dorsal view of an ivorybill (with the exception that neither of us resolved dorsal stripes).

Excuse me, but I am having some problems understanding this...The observers were presumed to be on the ground, looking at a bird in flight, at an unspecified altitude above them. The observers only mention "dorsal" views of the flying bird. Perhaps the bird was twisting and turning through the dense forest?

Since it's about ten miles from the other sightings, I suspect there is a different pair in this area. Whether one is a skeptic or not, the presence of one pair in the Pearl suggests that there are multiple pairs occupying similar habitat to the north. Today's sighting was shortly before sunset, and the bird was in flight, which may provide a clue to the direction of a roost site. This was my first visit to this area. I was following up on multiple reports by locals during the past two years.[/QUOTE]

timeshadowed said:
To Mike, Fang, Jesse, Goatnose, Choupicque, Christen and all the other searchers for the IBWO - Good Luck this season!

Thanks. The canopy hasn't come down enough yet here for my likes. Good luck to all. Esp. Fang - you'll need it to beat me to a good pic!!! That is, unless your sneaking into my backyard. :'D

By the way, when do snakes hit their dens? I really do hate looking out for em if I don't have to.

Jesse

Field Sparrow said:
I see no harm in using tree stands for locating the Ivory-billed Woodpecker. After all, how much success have they had in Arkansas from the ground or canoe searches these last couple of years? We must remember, Tanner, Allen, and the others, as good as their work is, is not the end-all of Ivory-billed Woodpecker research. Ivory-bills may make no notice of tree stands in Florida, where they may avoid them like the plauge in Arkansas. We simply don't have enough research on Ivory-bills to make some assumptions as we'd like.

That;s the idea. To each his own. If we actually share information like Prof. Hill has done -- BRAVO to that -- We may actually locate, research, and save this species (if it even needs our help - more likely it needs no hindrance). Tree stands may work. Go for it. Personally, I walk. Others disagree and use kayaks.

Each area is going to have to be surveyed and each person will have to decide what is best. The last bird I saw finally was lost to visual NOT be canopy leaves but by trunks of trees in the swamp. That is why I would not use a tree stand. Others may have a good vantage point that it would be logical to use one.

As I said before, Kayaks are great, unless there is mud. By using 10 different methods maybe 2 will achieve success. We have no idea which ones those are at this time. Just don't know enough.

Jesse

Jesse - I expect there has already been considerable migration of snakes to overwintering sites in your region. There is a rather famous road called LaRue Road near Wolf Lake, Illinois that is closed every year from early Sept to late Oct to facilitate snake migrations.

olivacea said:
Excuse me, but I am having some problems understanding this...The observers were presumed to be on the ground, looking at a bird in flight, at an unspecified altitude above them.
You've never had a dorsal view of a flying bird?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back