• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

January 1st joint Birdforum list (2022 edition) (1 Viewer)

Swindon Addick

Supporter
Wales
You are invited to join in the ninth annual Birdforum joint lists for 1st January. The idea is that those who want to take part provide a list of what they've seen or heard on 1 January and we produce joint lists for areas such as the UK, the USA, Europe, Australia, or wherever we get enough people interested.

The rules are simple - birds can be seen or heard, as long as the ID is firm. "Cat C" birds (that's UK jargon for introduced species with self-sustaining breeding populations) are OK as long as the bird was from the self-sustaining population. No escapes or captive birds, obviously. Birds must be encountered between midnight and midnight on 1 Jan, local time.

Each year we've done this, we've had some surprising relatively common omissions, so there's scope for everyone to contribute, even if you're only going out for a short walk or even just watching from your window. The aim is to use the wide spread of Birdforum members around the various countries to increase the total by seeing species where they're easy.

It's supposed to be a bit of innocent fun, don't change where you're intending to go. Unless you're intending to sit at home, in which case get out there and watch some birds.

If you live somewhere that has restrictions on where you can go or what you can do due to Covid, please comply with your local rules. In most places that won't be as constraining as it was last year.

Here's a link to last year's thread so you can see how it works. Each year's thread has a link to the previous year in its first post.

Last year's totals: USA 174, Europe 191 (UK 143, rest of Europe 138), Africa 166, East Asia 74, Falklands 39, New Zealand 35.

2020 figures: USA 116, Europe 196 (UK 170, rest of Europe 129), North America 130 (Canada 14, Barbados 8)
2019 figures: USA 227, Europe 205 (UK 176, Rest of Europe 126), Australia 85, East Asia 84
2018 figures: USA 120, Europe 194 (UK 163, Rest of Europe 115)
2017 figures: USA 172, Europe 197 (UK 156, Rest of Europe 127), East Asia 87, Canada 16 (North America 180)
2016 figures: USA 205, Europe 167 (UK 150, rest of Europe 94), Australia 43.
2015 figures: USA 158, Europe 175 (UK 145, rest of Europe 119), Australia 89.
2014 figures: USA 185, UK 155.

Whatever you see on 1 Jan, please post a list in this thread either of everything you've seen or (easier for me) everything you've seen that you think may not have been reported yet. I'm hoping to be out and about most of the day so if anyone's online during the day and fancies doing some running totals, that would be great. If not, I'll catch up once I'm back online.

Last edited:
You are invited to join in the ninth annual Birdforum joint lists for 1st January. The idea is that those who want to take part provide a list of what they've seen or heard on 1 January and we produce joint lists for areas such as the UK, the USA, Europe, Australia, or wherever we get enough people interested.

The rules are simple - birds can be seen or heard, as long as the ID is firm. "Cat C" birds (that's UK jargon for introduced species with self-sustaining breeding populations) are OK as long as the bird was from the self-sustaining population. No escapes or captive birds, obviously. Birds must be encountered between midnight and midnight on 1 Jan, local time.

Each year we've done this, we've had some surprising relatively common omissions, so there's scope for everyone to contribute, even if you're only going out for a short walk or even just watching from your window. The aim is to use the wide spread of Birdforum members around the various countries to increase the total by seeing species where they're easy.

It's supposed to be a bit of innocent fun, don't change where you're intending to go. Unless you're intending to sit at home, in which case get out thee and watch some birds.

If you live somewhere that has restrictions on where you can go or what you can do due to Covid, please comply with your local rules. In most places that won't be as constraining as it was last year.

Here's a link to last year's thread so you can see how it works. Each year's thread has a link to the previous year in its first post.

Last year's totals: USA 174, Europe 191 (UK 143, rest of Europe 138), Africa 166, East Asia 74, Falklands 39, New Zealand 35.

2020 figures: USA 116, Europe 196 (UK 170, rest of Europe 129), North America 130 (Canada 14, Barbados 8)
2019 figures: USA 227, Europe 205 (UK 176, Rest of Europe 126), Australia 85, East Asia 84
2018 figures: USA 120, Europe 194 (UK 163, Rest of Europe 115)
2017 figures: USA 172, Europe 197 (UK 156, Rest of Europe 127), East Asia 87, Canada 16 (North America 180)
2016 figures: USA 205, Europe 167 (UK 150, rest of Europe 94), Australia 43.
2015 figures: USA 158, Europe 175 (UK 145, rest of Europe 119), Australia 89.
2014 figures: USA 185, UK 155.

Whatever you see on 1 Jan, please post a list in this thread either of everything you've seen or (easier for me) everything you've seen that you think may not have been reported yet. I'm hoping to be out and about most of the day so if anyone's online during the day and fancies doing some running totals, that would be great. If not, I'll catch up once I'm back online.
Nice one SA. Funnily enough I was just driving back from and Garwnant and was hoping you’d be doing this thread this year.

My youngest and I have been discussing where we’re going on the 1st. If the weathers decent I think we’ve decided upon FOD and Slimbridge.

Rich

I'm in as well, unless it tips down I'll be out all day. Haven't chosen the route yet but the aim will be to complete a century.

Three options under consideration are Hampshire (home county); Kent/East Sussex; East Anglia (Essentially Suffolk/Norfolk but perhaps a smidgen of Cambs plus whatever shows up en route). Each has its own attractions: longer/shorter route with quicker/slower return to base; lower/higher range of species available; greater/lesser knowledge of exactly where to look for each species. Some factors to be balanced even once the weather is guaranteed!

In past years I've done the trick in all three areas but there's no doubt it's easiest (although most physical effort) in East Anglia.

I'll keep an eye out for mammals as well as birds.

John

I'll probably only be able to do my garden birds, though may manage to get to a feeding station on the edge of town which will produce a few more. Unlikely to be anything unusual though.

May as well throw my hat in. I'll be posting from the Australian wet tropics, though likely only the birds seen and heard on a walk in Cairns. A trip to the Tablelands would hugely elevate that list, but I'm pretty sure that won't be happening.

I was just checking last years thread and there BF member Nutcracker still a was very active contributor (as in many other sub-forums). Shortly after that he disappeared from BF :(. Does anyone know what happened to him? I miss his often funny posts!

Back to the topic, I'll be taking part to push the European list here in NE Germany...

I was just checking last years thread and there BF member Nutcracker still a was very active contributor (as in many other sub-forums). Shortly after that he disappeared from BF :(. Does anyone know what happened to him? I miss his often funny posts!

Back to the topic, I'll be taking part to push the European list here in NE Germany...
I've seen his name in posts but haven't noted him being offline for so long. I don't know where he's gone, maybe has a very busy job or just left the forum. I only joined last month so haven't really gotten to know many members. Hopefully he will come back 🤞

So it's been 2022 for nearly three hours. I'm pushing on through to dawn having slept a bit during the day yesterday. I'll be going for a dawn walk along the Esplanade, past the mangroves at the top of the Esplanade and onto Centennial Lakes, before heading back home.

First bird of 2022 was large numbers of Rainbow Lorikeets screeching in the dark as they were disturbed by the midnight fireworks. A rather sad first bird for the list, poor things.

1) Rainbow Lorikeet.

Are we keeping a running tally across each others' posts?

1) Rainbow Lorikeet.

Are we keeping a running tally across each others' posts?
Well that's a pretty decent bird to start with.

It's great if someone does keep a running tally, but it's not compulsory - we'd rather have people contribute than be put off by feeling they need to read the whole thread to see if someone else have already reported a particular species.

I’m in - will be off to Upton Warren - you never know - glad to see a small flock of green finches the other day - looking very healthy with no sign of the disease previously seen.

Just got back from the walk.

Cool and damp at first, but clearing. Pretty hot by the time I got back, just before 08.00am. Disappointing collection of birds, and pretty poor for waders and water birds in general; but then the latter would have dispersed with all the rain we've been having.

3) Common Mynah
4) Willie Wagtail
5) Pied Imperial Pigeon
6) Scaly-breasted Lorikeet
7) Black Butcherbird
8) Spangled Drongo (a pair nest in a tree in front of my apartment).
9) Double-eyed Fig Parrot
10) Yellow Honeyeater
11) Feral Pigeon
12) White-breasted Wood-Swallow
13) Metallic Starling
14) Varied Honeyeater
15) Masked Lapwing
16) Great Knot
17) Bar-tailed Godwit
18) Pied Oystercatcher
19) Welcome Swallow
20) Peaceful Dove
21) Australian White Pelican
22) Silver Gull
23) Bar-shouldered Dove
24) Magpie Lark
25) Mangrove Kingfisher
26) Spotted Dove
27) Mangrove Robin
28) Yellow Oriole
29) Mistletoebird
30) Helmeted Friarbird
31) Figbird
32) White-bellied Cuckoo Shrike
33) Brown Quail
34) Australian White Ibis
35) Olive-backed Sunbird
36) White-throated Honeyeater
37) Common Cicadabird
38) Radjah Shelduck
39) Large-billed Gerygone
40) Laughing Kookaburra
41) Australian Brush Turkey
42) Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
43) Intermediate Egret
44) Pacific Black Duck
45) Striated Heron
46) Brush Cuckoo
47) Orange-footed Scrubfowl
48) Varied Triller
49) Red-tailed Black Cockatoo
50) Spice Finch
51) House Sparrow
52) Rainbow Bee-Eater
53) Brown Honeyeater

Brown Honeyeaters are normally the commonest honeyeater in Cairns. There are typically several just in my street. Not a squeak from one until I turned into my street after walking about five kilometres. Weird.

No BOPs, but probably too early in the day. During the day, I could reasonably expect Black Kite, Brahminy Kite, Whistling Kite, Osprey, White-bellied Sea Eagle, Australian Goshawk, Pacific Baza; maybe an Australian Hobby, or something rarer. But it was not to be.

Sneaked the curtains open this morning to see what was on the feeders.
Robin
Chaffinch
Siskin
Blue tit
Great Tit
Song Thrush (singing in the garden)
Coal tit
Greenfinch (a recent and very welcome addition)
Dunnock
Nuthatch
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Blackbird
House Sparrow (another recent coloniser)

Unusually didn’t hear Tawny owl last night - but it was extremely windy so maybe they weren’t in the mood.

Late addition over breakfast

Goldfinch

Forgot to say

Happy New Year to one and all - stay safe and happy birding!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back