• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Japan in May 2019 (1 Viewer)

Hi Stu

Can I ask why it's your favourite month if the winter specials have left and the summer migrants not yet arrived ? :).

Well a lot of stuff is passing through, everything is in summer plumage, the days are getting longer, rarities pop up etc etc. May is one of the best months in the UK too, no?

If time is tight and you want to stay in central Japan the forests at the foot of Fujui are supposed to be good (I've never been) or you could go to one of the Izu Islands by ferry from Tokyo (island endemics, good seawatching and scenic enough for the wife). Again, never been but it is a very popular trip for birders.

I've seen Rubythroats in early May in south Hokkaido (where I live). But they are only passing through..........

Don't know if you use facebook but the kantori group on there is a group for English speaking birders in Japan. You may get some good tips from those folk.

Well a lot of stuff is passing through, everything is in summer plumage, the days are getting longer, rarities pop up etc etc. May is one of the best months in the UK too, no?

If time is tight and you want to stay in central Japan the forests at the foot of Fujui are supposed to be good (I've never been) or you could go to one of the Izu Islands by ferry from Tokyo (island endemics, good seawatching and scenic enough for the wife). Again, never been but it is a very popular trip for birders.

I've seen Rubythroats in early May in south Hokkaido (where I live). But they are only passing through..........

Don't know if you use facebook but the kantori group on there is a group for English speaking birders in Japan. You may get some good tips from those folk.

Hi Stu

For 4-5 days in total on Hokkaido would it be best to base ourselves near Hakodate and do 3-4 day trips by car out from there. I accept we wouldn't see the fishing owls or probably the rubythroats but would the cranes be in range from there ? I guess these are your suggestions on this website but would they be the best in May ? http://www.japannatureguides.com/southwest-hokkaido/

Or better to spend those days somewhere south of Kyoto after our 3-4 days there ?

thanks
Tony

Last edited:
Hi Tony.

The Cranes are a long way from Hakodate. If you want to see them (and the Owl) you need to base yourself in east Hokkaido.

SW Hokkaido has its charms though but for a visiting birder lokking for some Japanese specialties there are probably better places. If you look on my blog (which I've been doing for a long time now) you can check the archives in early May over the last 12 years or so to get an idea of what is around in SW Hokkaido at that time. If you do end up coming to Hakodate of course I can give me plenty of tips.

If I were you I'd either go to east Hokkaido (the usual well-known places) or to one of the smaller islands (like the Izu Islands, which I suggested above, or Okinawa). With the right planning you could see a lot in 4 or 5 days plus those places are interesting enough for a non birding spouse.

So....the plan now is to visit
Tokyo 2 nights
Mt Fuji area 3 nights
Kyoto 4 nights
Hokkaido 4 nights (Flying Tokyo - Kushiro - Tokyo)

Biggest question now is where to stay in Hokkoido. The company we will probably use had suggested 4 nights at Akan Lake but that won't work for coastal birds and the Owls, so I'm tempted to split the stay between Akan and the coast. The Minshuku Lodge lodge looks and sounds very basic (and shared toilets which isn't great fun in the night !) but like others I'm attracted by the idea of a local guide who speaks english and can help with the owl trip. Are there any other hotels in the area which can help on the birding front or a combination of a decent hotel and a local guide ?

Other posts had mentioned a wooded local reserve very lose to the property - would that be the same "Shunkunitai boardwalk through the 'taiga forest'" mentioned above and on another thread and if so does anyone know if it has been rebuilt ?

As an alternative to Rausu, "..I think there is an inn somewhere else which is more comfortable and with better food where the owls are also certain, but I've never stayed there..." - does anyone have any idea where this is ? Yoroushi Onsen ??

thanks
Tony

Last edited:
So....the plan now is to visit
Tokyo 2 nights
Mt Fuji area 3 nights
Kyoto 4 nights
Hokkaido 4 nights (Flying Tokyo - Kushiro - Tokyo)

As an alternative to Rausu, "..I think there is an inn somewhere else which is more comfortable and with better food where the owls are also certain, but I've never stayed there..." - does anyone have any idea where this is ? Yoroushi Onsen ??

thanks
Tony

Sounds like Youroshi Onsen to me...................

There are business hotels in Nemuro if you don't fancy Furen-ko but honestly Furen-ko isn't that bad to stay, it depends on your standards I guess. If you have a non birding spouse it may be a bit basic I guess.

Akan-ko (Lake Akan, not Akan village) has some nice hotels but it is too far away from the main spots. Akan Village isn't so far but the main draw there is the winter Cranes which will of course be gone when you come.

Sounds like Youroshi Onsen to me...................

There are business hotels in Nemuro if you don't fancy Furen-ko but honestly Furen-ko isn't that bad to stay, it depends on your standards I guess. If you have a non birding spouse it may be a bit basic I guess.

Akan-ko (Lake Akan, not Akan village) has some nice hotels but it is too far away from the main spots. Akan Village isn't so far but the main draw there is the winter Cranes which will of course be gone when you come.

Thanks Stu. Is there as much to see at the Rausu peninsula as there is at Furen-ko which would mean we could base ourselves there instead ....or even Notsuke which is closer?
Thanks
Tony.

Thanks Stu. Is there as much to see at the Rausu peninsula as there is at Furen-ko which would mean we could base ourselves there instead ....or even Notsuke which is closer?
Thanks
Tony.

I'd say the Furen-ko/Nemuro area is better than Rausu in May. But Rausu is of course the easiest place to see the BF Owls. Some of the woodland/high altitude species may not have arrived in Rausu yet (indeed the higher roads may still be closed due to snow even in late May).

If you want nice hotels you could try Utoro on the other side of Shiretoko peninsula and do some birding on the Ohotsk coast: but you would be too far off Furen-ko/Nemuro.

Notsuke is easy to get to from both Rausu and Furen-ko as a day trip.

If I were you I'd do 2 nights at Furen-ko, 1 night at Youroushi Onsen and 1 night in Rausu

I'd say the Furen-ko/Nemuro area is better than Rausu in May. But Rausu is of course the easiest place to see the BF Owls. Some of the woodland/high altitude species may not have arrived in Rausu yet (indeed the higher roads may still be closed due to snow even in late May).

If you want nice hotels you could try Utoro on the other side of Shiretoko peninsula and do some birding on the Ohotsk coast: but you would be too far off Furen-ko/Nemuro.

Notsuke is easy to get to from both Rausu and Furen-ko as a day trip.

If I were you I'd do 2 nights at Furen-ko, 1 night at Youroushi Onsen and 1 night in Rausu

Thanks Stu. If I was me I would do the same ! Unfortunately as my wife is not as dedicated to birding as me, to avoid being too selfish, one of those nights and days needs to be spent near lake Akan to view the scenery and the sulfur mountain ! So it may be only one of the owl sites. Rausu for the better photos and backdrop or Youroushi for the comfort and close up view (albeit through glass !) will be the decision. Plus I want to see Kushiro wetlands on the way back to the airport on the last day.

Tony

Last edited:
Just a quick update on this old thread. We didn't get to Japan in 2019 and then of course covid arrived ! Now planning to visit Japan in May/June 2023, ending with 5 days in Eastern Hokkaido after flying into Kushiro. Thanks again for all your advice, all of which have been and will be borne in mind.

I hope you've decided to include Yoroushi Onsen in your itinerary; it is well worth the cost for the Owls which are spectacular - one of my most memorable experiences. Anyway, I'm sure you'll have a great time in Japan - I did in February 2020 - I'll look forward to the trip report.

I hope you've decided to include Yoroushi Onsen in your itinerary; it is well worth the cost for the Owls which are spectacular - one of my most memorable experiences. Anyway, I'm sure you'll have a great time in Japan - I did in February 2020 - I'll look forward to the trip report.
Would strongly second the Yoroushi recommendation, although I too was there in winter, rather than in later spring, so the birds may be different.
The accommodations are top notch, the food excellent and their onsen is wonderful Lingering in the naturally heated outdoor warm pool, artfully set beneath the snowy pines, is a great way to melt away cares and tensions.
Highlight species seen, apart from the Fish Owl, included Pied Kingfisher, Solitary Snipe and Black Woodpecker. The latter however was unexpected, the owner said he'd not had one visit previously.

I don't think we are currently planning to stay at Yoroushi, and are planning to catch the owl at Washinoyado and being guided by Take Matsuo on his suggested itinerary for 5-6 days.

I don't think we are currently planning to stay at Yoroushi, and are planning to catch the owl at Washinoyado and being guided by Take Matsuo on his suggested itinerary for 5-6 days.
Tony, if the rightly renowned Take-san has suggested that then who am I to argue :) - I had a great 2 days at Lodge Furen. Have a good trip.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back