• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Java, Banyaks, Simeulue, & Aceh (July 2019) (1 Viewer)

Rgallardy

Hi all,

Been a bit behind on things, but wanted to post a bit about my recent (well somewhat recent) trip to Indonesia this past summer. As usual, Indonesia didn't fail to disappoint (with multiple meanings). The birds were amazing as always, but also it was extremely depressing to see the continued habitat destruction, incessant bird trapping, and piles of plastic. Overall it was a very successful trip that concentrated on some extremely rare species that probably won't be around for much longer.

Over general itinerary was western Java (Halimun, Gede, Jakarta), the Banyak Islands (Bangkaru & Babi), Simeulue, and Aceh. As usual we did the trip independently, but did hire a local in Aceh as you're supposed to have a guide to visit the reserve.

Once we arrived on Java, our first stop was Halimun NP, with the goal of picking up a few targets that are difficult to see elsewhere. The main target was Javan Blue-banded Kingfisher which I managed to see, but unfortunately Melissa missed it. We did quite well with our other targets though and had a few surprises as well!

Check out the blog for the full account of our time at Halimun.

https://budgetbirders.com/2019/09/16/indonesia-halimun-hallelujah-we-made-it-to-halimun/

Best,

Ross

Gunung Gede

Well after our successful trip to Halimun NP, we made the long trek over to Gunung Gede for a few days. Unlike most people who stay down in the town of Cibodas, we decided to camp on the mountain for a few days to avoid the long walks and be able to dedicate plenty of time for the woodcock. Unfortunately this strategy only worked out so well, we although we got all of the main targets (including Volcano Swiftlet and Javan Serin) we did dip the woodcock. It just wasn't meant to be.

Check out more from our trip to Gede on the blog including some amazing looks at Javan Cocoha and Javan Scops Owl!

https://budgetbirders.com/2019/09/22/indonesia-gunung-gede-three-days-up-a-mountain/

Best,

Ross

A day around Jakarta

Well after the extremely slow journey to Jakarta, our hopes of getting caught up on sleep faded and I found myself going to bed at midnight with another 0445 wake up coming way too soon. We only had a single day in Jakarta and wanted to pick up a few targets including Sunda Coucal, Christmas Island Frigeratebird, and Milky Stork. Luckily the day worked out although it was a bit rough at times sorting things out. Check out the blog for more info on the day!

https://budgetbirders.com/2019/10/20/indonesia-java-wait-theres-birds-around-jakarta/

Best,

Ross

Hi Ross, when I lsaw the Coucal, I recall scanning from a lookout tower, I assume that's gone?

I also recall some dirt, football pitches close by where I had Javan Plover.

Medan (as you were on the way) is a better place for Milky Stork, I hired a tuk-tuk to Percut and a short boat ride there, they were fairly easy.

Almost 20 years ago though!

No tower where we went to. As you can see from the pics in the blog post, the boardwalk we went on was pretty dilapidated and we never made it to the end of it. I think most people get it from a boat nowadays.

Yea, I think there is better options for the Milky Stork (especially once we went to the island and found out the costs), but since we were heading out for the Christmas Island Frigatebird it made sense to try and get it there. Ebird still shows some recent record around Medan so still seems like a good option!

Ross

Banyak Islands and Babi

Well after our short excursion around Jakarta it was off to the airport and a quick flight to Medan where Melissa, Irene, and I met Michael. We picked up our driver who was pre-coordinated to drive us through the night to the small village on Singkil. Unfortunately our driver must have decided to stay up all day as quickly into our drive that started at midnight, he started to fall asleep at the wheel! Not going to tell with that bullshit, so I "fired" him and I decided to drive the rest of the way.

We arrived shortly after dawn to Singkil boarded our pre-arranged boat and set off on the most anticipated portion of the trip. It was off to the island of Bangkaru, the last stronghold of the Nias Myna! The ocean was calm and the boat pretty fast, but it still took a while to reach the island where we set up camp and went off to search for our main target.

Check out the blog for more details on our search for the Nias Myna as well as our time on Babi another island seldom visited by birders.

https://budgetbirders.com/2019/11/03/indonesia-time-for-a-boat-trip-bangkaru-babi/

Best,

Ross

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back