• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Java birding (1 Viewer)

barbet225

Hello all,

I'll be in Java for 2 weeks in late June/early July and I am wondering what my best bets would be in west and central Java. I have read that Genung Gede is good, but might be a bit hard to reach.

We will be flying to Jakarta and then Yogyakarta for a while, is there any birding in the immediate surroundings of Yogyakarta, or within the city? Certainly if anyone in the city would like to link up for a bit of birding that'd be great too!

Finally, we are looking for a nice beach or island to relax on for a bit since we will have been traveling quite some time at this point. Are there any nice beaches/islands that may provide some chance of bird activity?

Thanks!!

I would check Burung Nusantara.
Gede is easy to reach from Jakarta/Bogor.
From Jakarta airport, comfortable busses run to Bogor very regularly.
From Bogor, I have explained in detail on cloud birders how to get easily to Gede. (I have done that stretch like four times in a week, to get my visa extension when I was in Gede!).

In the east of Java, I would recommend Baluran + Alas Purwo for beach + birding. I met a Polish family that were staying very cheap in the bungalows near the beach at Baluran: http://goo.gl/maps/OYPQz . There is food available, but you will have to eat the same food every day. Alas Purwo is probably the better place in terms of beach and birds, but a little less reachable. Kawa Ijen is awesome for hill birding, if you decide to skip Gede. But even with Gede, Ijen provides some birds that you can only see in the east of Java, such as the partridge and best chance for the Bush-warbler.

Hallo Barbet

It’s great to hear about your plan. Yes, Burung-Nusantara is a good site to know about Java and Indonesia. And for West Java, Gunung Gede is the best place for Javan endemics.

I lived in Yogyakarta (or Jogja) and often made trips for birder that come. I may advise you 3-4 days to stay in Jogja. For montaine endemics, Plawangan hill on Gunung Merapi (Merapi volcano) National park is the best option. It is about an hour drive from Jogja city where we might able to see many endemics, such as Javan Fulvetta, Javan Whistling Trush, Javan Tesia, White-flanked Sunbird and many others, include the Javan Bush Warbler. There is also Sokomoyo on Menoreh Hills to find Streaky-breasted Spiderhunter, Grey-cheeked Tit-Babbler or Javan Sunbird.

Prambanan Temple, just about half an hour drive, is home for the beautiful Java Sparrow. We have also Pantai Trisik for waterbird and shorebird, but no migrant during June-July. The only shorebird that present at that time is Javan Plover.

Jogja actually have so many beautiful beaches, but it is dangerous to swim on because the big wave (the beaches is directly face to Javan Trench and the Indian Ocean). I suggest you to go to Karimunjawa Islands and stay there couple of days for swimming, snorkling and birding also. The islands has >120 birds with some intersting species, such as Pink-headed Imperial Pigeon, Lemon-bellied White-eye, White-bellied Sea-Eagle, seabirds and more.

Imam
Loontour

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back