• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

jj audubon birds of america (1 Viewer)

Looks a bit of a handful for use in the field, but plenty of space for scribbling notes. Think I'll stick with Sibley.

Richard

I still have my Father's Hardback copy. Copyrighted and published by MACMILLAN in NYC in 1937 and reprinted in 1942. 9 1/2" x 12" and weighs about 4 pounds. It has 435 prints of the same size and a 13 page "Transcrpt of the Legends of the Original Plates with a note concerning them."

It has a 5 page introduction and biographical sketch including 2 pages of remarkably prescient thoughts on conservation by William Vogt.

You would have to carry it in a knapsack to bird with it!;)

Bob

Last edited:
I like bird art, but Audubon has never really excited me. Too unnatural, the way he painted them. Maybe has got to do that they were all hung on wires so he had no way anymore to tell what posture would have been natural.

But more likely, he did not care. Well, to each his own. Same for how much one wants to spend on a book like this or any other rare item.

I like bird art, but Audubon has never really excited me. Too unnatural, the way he painted them. Maybe has got to do that they were all hung on wires so he had no way anymore to tell what posture would have been natural.

It's because he painted them life size....so he had to make the taller birds fit onto the page somehow! Never done anything for me either I'm afraid...but it's a good investment I guess (it'll make more money than leaving the £6m in a bank! ;))

This auction was absolutely awesome. I've never thought that an animal book will become the most expensive book in the world.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back