• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

John's Mammals 2013 (1 Viewer)

Perhaps someone should alert Naturetrek?

I don't think Naturetrek will loose any sleep over it. As far as they're concerned they have exclusive access to spotlighting in prime Wildcat territory and they can charge their punters accordingly.

It's just the sheer hypocrisy of the situation that annoys me.

Couple of excursions to report on.

I assisted on a bat hibernation count last week, visiting the Westhumble mines, some lime kilns and Box Hill fort. All of them required agility to get into through metal grilles and bars; the lime kilns were within an industrial compound requiring the others to squeeze through a gap between the gate and fence posts and stout John to climb an overhanging tree and return over the six-foot gate.

Finding hibernatiing bats is wonderful entertainment: there is no guarantee any are present and they can get into some very small cracks so persistence, thoroughness and a good deal of optimism are required. The total for the day included Brown Long-eared Bats, Natterer's, Whiskered and one Daubenton's (haven't got the exact figures) of which I found three (one Nat, one Whiskered and one too far up a wall to be identified.) In addition we found Herald, Tissue and one Hummingbird Hawkmoth hibernating near the bats.

Today I had an afternoon walk at Moor Green and no less than three mammal species: Rabbit, Grey Squirrel and a group of four Roe Deer. Better than vegetating in front of the TV.

John

The local foxes have been waking me in the small hours calling to each other, but in daylight only Grey Squirrels and Rabbits have crossed my path.

Barring miracles it appears my final score for this year will be 61 mammals in the British Isles (plus Reindeer and Musk Ox in Norway and Iberian Hare in Spain.) The full list is below:

Rabbit
Red Fox
Roe Deer
Grey Squirrel
Brown Hare
Fallow Deer
Wild Boar
Muntjac
Bank Vole
Brown Rat
Red Deer
Badger
Daubenton's Bat
Natterer's Bat
Whiskered Bat
Otter
Chinese Water Deer
American Mink
Sika Deer
Weasel
Common Pipistrelle
Soprano Pipistrelle
Noctule Bat
Nathusius's Pipistrelle
Serotine Bat
Hedgehog
Red Squirrel
Grey Long-eared Bat
Pygmy Shrew
Hazel Dormouse
Water Vole
Grey Seal
Common Seal
Common Shrew
Barbastelle Bat
Edible Dormouse
Greater Horseshoe Bat
Wood Mouse
House Mouse
Stoat
Water Shrew
Minke Whale
Harbour Porpoise
European Beaver
Wildcat
Pine Marten
Field Vole
White-beaked Dolphin
Risso's Dolphin
Black Rat (tick!)
Bottlenose Dolphin
Feral Goat
Mpuntain Hare
Leisler's Bat
Polecat
Common Dolphin
Lesser Horseshoe Bat
Harvest Mouse
Yellow-necked Mouse
Humpback Whale

Next year I shall not be doing any year lists of any kind. Instead I shall be concentrating on photography of species where I could do better, filling in some gaps in other groups and possibly trying to knock off 5 new mammals in Europe to put me on 100 species in this area.

Thanks to all the guys I went out with this year, especially the Black Ratters and particularly Mark Hows for organising a couple of excellent small mammal traps at Fowlmere; also a major acknowledgement to the Surrey Bat Group who were not only welcoming but afforded me some great sightings and experiences all year; to my regular team for some great days (and nights skulking through the darkness) and last but most of all to my long-suffering wife Marion who organised my birthday trip to the Forest of Dean and who is now entirely uncertain whether it is better to be asked along or not asked along.

Thanks also to all on here who enjoy the tales and put up with my occasional ferocity in debate.

Good hunting all in 2014!

John

The local foxes have been waking me in the small hours calling to each other, but in daylight only Grey Squirrels and Rabbits have crossed my path.

Barring miracles it appears my final score for this year will be 61 mammals in the British Isles (plus Reindeer and Musk Ox in Norway and Iberian Hare in Spain.) The full list is below:

Rabbit
Red Fox
Roe Deer
Grey Squirrel
Brown Hare
Fallow Deer
Wild Boar
Muntjac
Bank Vole
Brown Rat
Red Deer
Badger
Daubenton's Bat
Natterer's Bat
Whiskered Bat
Otter
Chinese Water Deer
American Mink
Sika Deer
Weasel
Common Pipistrelle
Soprano Pipistrelle
Noctule Bat
Nathusius's Pipistrelle
Serotine Bat
Hedgehog
Red Squirrel
Grey Long-eared Bat
Pygmy Shrew
Hazel Dormouse
Water Vole
Grey Seal
Common Seal
Common Shrew
Barbastelle Bat
Edible Dormouse
Greater Horseshoe Bat
Wood Mouse
House Mouse
Stoat
Water Shrew
Minke Whale
Harbour Porpoise
European Beaver
Wildcat
Pine Marten
Field Vole
White-beaked Dolphin
Risso's Dolphin
Black Rat (tick!)
Bottlenose Dolphin
Feral Goat
Mpuntain Hare
Leisler's Bat
Polecat
Common Dolphin
Lesser Horseshoe Bat
Harvest Mouse
Yellow-necked Mouse
Humpback Whale

Next year I shall not be doing any year lists of any kind. Instead I shall be concentrating on photography of species where I could do better, filling in some gaps in other groups and possibly trying to knock off 5 new mammals in Europe to put me on 100 species in this area.

Thanks to all the guys I went out with this year, especially the Black Ratters and particularly Mark Hows for organising a couple of excellent small mammal traps at Fowlmere; also a major acknowledgement to the Surrey Bat Group who were not only welcoming but afforded me some great sightings and experiences all year; to my regular team for some great days (and nights skulking through the darkness) and last but most of all to my long-suffering wife Marion who organised my birthday trip to the Forest of Dean and who is now entirely uncertain whether it is better to be asked along or not asked along.

Thanks also to all on here who enjoy the tales and put up with my occasional ferocity in debate.

Good hunting all in 2014!

John

Thanks John for some entertaining posts. I too had a great Scottish 'rat' trip, enjoyed the wildlife and the company, and I too would recommend bat hibernaculum checks - have done a few over the years and always enjoyable. My mammal year list finishes on a rather more modest 49, just missing my target of 50 mainly on account of a run of dips at the end of the year.

I found out belatedly the Shetland parti-coloured bat would have been twitchable as was there for 10 days - I finally made contact with the homeowner (who was helpful and welcoming) 2 days after it left at the forefront of another spell of bad weather :-C. It was clinging to the north side of his house and he found it while putting out the Christmas lights. Oh well, can't win 'em all! Happy New Year all! B :)

I wish everyone who contributed on this thread a Happy New Year, once again this has been the place to share mammal info and long may it continue.

For those who missed them there will be more small mammal surveys at Fowlmere this year and maybe a couple of other sites.

As John says the Black rat trip was the highlight which was great mammal wise but we all had a great laugh as well. Thanks to all involved.

You can get the details on my blog but I saw 68 mammal species 62 which I photographed/videoed in what was a cracking year.

Mark

Not sure what my UK mammal list was this year but it certainly was nowhere near 60. However, I saw some fantastic species and the Black Rat trip will hopefully provide me with happy memories for many years. Happy New Year to you all!

Like Mike my year list is nowhere near the 60 mark but I did manage a few new species. The Black Rat Trip by far and away the highlight of the year & will be remembered for many years to come! Happy New Year to everyone & good luck for 2014.

Cheers, Simon

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back