• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

John's Mammals 2015 (1 Viewer)

No significant mammals on Saturday on a long day out to Arnside Knott for butties and then the M6 rarities on the way back. Sunday another bat survey, this time close to home near Seale, but nothing but Daubenton's Bats and Soprano Pips.

Normally we get 2 or 3 Red Foxes coming for the nightly chicken, but one night recently saw four waiting outside when I peered out of the door. One loped off at once, so perhaps it was just a gatecrasher. I will do a photo-update on them soon. We've only seen one cub with Mrs F and that was a few weeks ago, so either they just don't follow her over our way or its been a poor breeding year. I suspect the former because she was feeding them milk in quantity for the full period they should have had milk before weaning. It would be nice to know for sure though.

John

It is harvest time round here and the cat brought in a present, safely returned to the wild.

Mark

Attachments

• _DSC0939.JPG
    _DSC0939.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 41
  • _DSC0997.JPG
    _DSC0997.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 26
  • _DSC1016.JPG
    _DSC1016.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 26
Despite the terrible weather on Tuesday I had a cracking day out finishing off with these guys

Mark

Attachments

• DSC_4721.jpg
    DSC_4721.jpg
    911.7 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC_4718.JPG
    DSC_4718.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC_4709.JPG
    DSC_4709.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 45
Black Squirrel

While on a lesson today I came across this very recent (it wasn't there c1.5 hours earlier) road killed Black Squirrel just outside Dunstable (Bedfordshire) on Beech Road, LU6 3 (TL03120 19557). Is this a one off or does anyone one if they are spreading from the better know haunts in Herts?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    581.4 KB · Views: 59
Simon,

I cannot say about Beds but they are increasing their range in this area and are now present in most of Cambridgeshire,

Mark

I've just returned from a trip to Brazil (a bit of Atlantic rain forest, but with the Pantanal the main destination).

We saw the `usual' mammals: Jaguar, Black Howler and Capuchin Monkeys, South American Coati, Collared and White-lipped Peccary, Tapir, Giant Anteater, Crab-eating Fox, Yellow Armadillo. We were also lucky with excellent sighitngs of Southern Tamandua.

What might be of particular interest is that there is now a lodge where there are habituated ocelots. This apparently started with them seeking out fish-cleaning stations, and fishermen subsequently throwing them unwanted bits. I didn't take a flashling on this trip, and sightings are at dusk or in the dark, so my pictures aren't that good. (The same lodge also gave us the best sightings of Toco Tucans (used to being given leftover fruit after breakfast) and Hyacinth Macaws (breeding just outside the reception building and very used to people).

I haven't yet processed my photos, but here are a few quickly prepared ones.

Andrea

Attachments

• DSC02859.jpg
    DSC02859.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC03005.jpg
    DSC03005.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC07291.jpg
    DSC07291.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC07266.jpg
    DSC07266.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC03794.jpg
    DSC03794.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 72
Mind-blowing stuff Andrea. Sorry to go straight for the obvious, but that massive Jaguar has got to be perhaps the most impresive creature on planet earth. I think If I'd seen that I wouldn't be a functioning human being for about a week later. Fantastic photographs.

Back to workaday impoverished mammals of these islands. On my second work trip attempt, I saw a large bat flying around the crown of the trees around The Lough in Cork city the other day, occasionally dropping like Noctules do. Struggled to get much on my cheapo bat box, but on balance my first Leisler's since apparently there are no Noctules or Serrotine in Ireland. It was flying before the Pipistrelles at the same time as some of the Swallows, but still didn't manage to get picture. Tickable - not sure but, at least something to work on for future trips and anyone with any knowledge appreciated?

Phil

Repetitively circling above the crown of a tree is a feature of Leisler's Bat, if that's what it was doing. plus the absence of other similar species in Ireland makes it a relatively safe bet.

Repetitively circling above the crown of a tree is a feature of Leisler's Bat, if that's what it was doing. plus the absence of other similar species in Ireland makes it a relatively safe bet.

Thanks Peter, that is exactly what it was doing. Good stuff.

Thanks again, Phil

A recent trip out with the Wiltshire Bat Group produced 10 species and in excess of 400 bats. Bechstein's, Barbastelle and Brant's the rare species of real note. Others were serotine, whiskered, brown long eared, Daubenton's, Natterer's, and both Greater and Lesser horseshoe.

Mark

Attachments

• Brown Long eared Bat.JPG
    Brown Long eared Bat.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Brant's Bat (2).JPG
    Brant's Bat (2).JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Serotine Bat.JPG
    Serotine Bat.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Natterer's Bat.JPG
    Natterer's Bat.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Barbastelle (2).JPG
    Barbastelle (2).JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 39
Some recent sightings a very brief trip to Minsmere for rabbit, grey squirrel, water vole and red deer and a brief stoat sighting, I have had two other stoat sightings one at work and one at Dungeness.

Wild boar, badger and Fox in the Forest of Dean as well.

But no Beavers in Devon.

Mark

Attachments

• DSC_4833.JPG
    DSC_4833.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 55
  • Badger.jpg
    Badger.jpg
    788.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Red Deer.JPG
    Red Deer.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Rabbit (2).JPG
    Rabbit (2).JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Water Vole.jpg
    Water Vole.jpg
    484.5 KB · Views: 48
My aunt's got a leucistic Grey Squirrel in her Edinburgh garden at present. (Not taking twitchers though, so don't even toy with the idea...)

Attachments

• IMG_0130.jpg
    IMG_0130.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 48
Wreckers of the Night

On my land I have a big grain feeder, holds 50 kg of foodstuff, weighs a ton and is virtually impossible to move when full. or at least it is for me ...but over recent days, the thing has been trashed on several occasions - over 100 kg of grain vanished, roof broken, front feeding platform broken.

Maybe a Moose, maybe a Wild Boar, even a wild imagination of a wandering Brown Bear. After giving me the slip on several occasions - not appearing when I left a camera, finally the culprits slipped up and revealed themselves on film...

Click here - Wreckers of the Night - for the video, the full damage comes towards the end

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back