• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

John's Mammals 2017 (1 Viewer)

Evening all,
This enterprising little mouse has taken to hanging about underneath one of our feeders waiting for the tits to drop pieces of peanuts. Any ideas as to the species involved (we're in the French Alps at 1,000m altitude)?
Thanks,
Richard

Attachments

• Mouse 30.11.17.jpg
    Mouse 30.11.17.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 62
I'm inclined to think Wood Mouse because the tail looks thin but I admit the colour of the body looks good for Yellow-neck. Any other pix of whatever quality?

John

Here's the only other one in focus, I can try again today if it reappears, the light is better (at the moment).

Thanks chaps,
Richard

Attachments

• mouse2.jpg
    mouse2.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 55
Here's the only other one in focus, I can try again today if it reappears, the light is better (at the moment).

Thanks chaps,
Richard

Look forward to that! If possible what we could do with is a view of the chest between the forelegs. Doesn't have to be all that good, focus in particular is not critical.

John

Finally got a picture of my mystery mouse showing his chest, hopefully this will clinch the id.?

I'm going to stick my neck out that this is a well-marked Wood Mouse with a central chest-stripe rather than a Yellow-neck. Looking forward to hearing from Mark Hows though.

Nice seasonal setting!

John

I'm going to stick my neck out that this is a well-marked Wood Mouse with a central chest-stripe rather than a Yellow-neck. Looking forward to hearing from Mark Hows though.

Nice seasonal setting!

John

I agree with John,

there are no thick neck markings a wood mouse.

Mark

Merry Christmas Mammal Watchers everywhere, and thank you all for sharing your stories and pics through the year, it's been fun.

Attachments

• IMG_9431.JPG
    IMG_9431.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 77
Cracking photo!

I have to announce that our regular vixen, White Tip, and the frequent and edgy dog fox, Big Whitey, are engaged. ;)

They woke us up at 0500 a couple of mornings ago to let us know, the noise coming from directly under our window. I admit I didn't see the process that led to White Tip saying yes, but I did see her ambling casually away with Big Whitey close behind.

Then I went back to bed and fell asleep again.

John

Foxes turned down one chicken leg last night: I admit it had been in the fridge a few days, but they took a couple of others from the same batch.... I'm going to bin the rest and start afresh this evening. Marion thinks I spoil those animals but agreed we don't want to risk giving them food poisoning.

John

A few recent pictures of the foxes. They are in winter coat, not that winter coat in Southern Britain compares with the furball winter foxes of North America: but they do look bulked out, fresh and glossy - although Big Whitey has a hank of fur out of his right shoulder and a bit of a toothmark on the skin. Just a little light skirmishing....

John

White Tip sitting
White Tip portrait
Big Whitey being unusually casual
Big Whitey legging it in more traditional fashion

Attachments

• 20171209 (56)_Red_Fox.JPG
    20171209 (56)_Red_Fox.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 20171209 (57)_Red_Fox.JPG
    20171209 (57)_Red_Fox.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20171209 (58)_Red_Fox.JPG
    20171209 (58)_Red_Fox.JPG
    262.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 20171209 (59)_Red_Fox.JPG
    20171209 (59)_Red_Fox.JPG
    188.1 KB · Views: 39
Last decent mammal of the year seems set to have been a Brown Hare at Capel Fleet last Saturday.

I haven't done so much this year (haven't done so much of everything, except for more foreign than recently) but I intend to get out in the evenings more next year if it will stop raining incessantly.

If anyone has a consistent site for Polecat I'd be interested....

Happy New Year everybody, new thread from tomorrow but late reports welcome on here obviously.

John

Lots and lots of white tail deer in my yard these days eating my shrubs at night. Last night there was a hurd of at least 8 around and on my driveway. It has been very cold all week. Not getting above 20 degrees F in the day, more often 12 or 13, and at 0 F overnight in the last 5 days and nights.

Last winter I saw almost none but so far this winter I see them at least every other day.

My last mammal was rabbit yesterday, but caught the wood mouse in my garden on Saturday - Happy New Year to all and good mammal watching in 2018.

Mark

Attachments

• woodm.jpg
    woodm.jpg
    862.1 KB · Views: 29
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back