John's Mammals 2020 (1 Viewer)

Farnboro John

Monday night Big Whitey was there on the lawn, going "'Ullo, you're back then. Chicken please": the following night nobody, then on Wednesday it was fox city with Rip, three leggy cubs and Big Whitey (last to the party) all milling about at the front together. Two of them have got the idea of coming to the far edge of the lawn and waiting to be fed but the third just steams back and forth along the path a bit nervously.

So far that's the limit of the cubs demonstrating separate personalities, and I don't yet have photos of all of them to work out some field marks and names for them. Most years the cubs don't turn up at all so this is a bonus - hopefully photographically as well.

John

JWN Andrewes

Poor Judge of Pasta.
As we left Llandudno this morning after year ticking Lapland Bunting on the West Shore beach we spotted a group of the Great Orme Goats high up on the slopes. Don't think they're technically tickable, but nice to see nonetheless.

Attachments

• IMG_0147.JPG
    IMG_0147.JPG
    207 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0341.JPG
    IMG_0341.JPG
    222.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0346.JPG
    IMG_0346.JPG
    197.4 KB · Views: 6

Farnboro John

As we left Llandudno this morning after year ticking Lapland Bunting on the West Shore beach we spotted a group of the Great Orme Goats high up on the slopes. Don't think they're technically tickable, but nice to see nonetheless.
I agree with you these are just a bit too limited in their environment (there are some unfenced ones at Cheddar that I also wouldn't recommend) - but smart looking animals all the same.

Luckily for you there are normally some not far away up the A5 pass around Cwm Idwal, or round at Beddgelert.

Cheers

John

Farnboro John

After several years of acquaintance with my local foxes they can still surprise me. This morning I drove out of Houseman Road on my way to work and almost immediately came to a screeching halt, as did the car coming the other way, as two foxes belted along the close-cut lawn at the roadside and the pursued veered into the road between us.

The second fox stopped its hot pursuit without going into the road and skittered left until it could peep at us round the bole of a fairly small tree: looking left from the car I couldn't help laughing at the pathetic attempt to become invisible, and I could see more than enough of the fox to address him directly: "Whitey, what the hell do you think you're doing?" Big Whitey, my dog fox of four years with a partly disabled left rear leg, had an interloper running for its very life, broad daylight and never mind who's watching. Still top dog.

John

MarkHows

Mostly Mammals
Plenty of deer recently Roe, Muntjac, fallow and Red

Attachments

• Roe Deer (2)_01.JPG
    Roe Deer (2)_01.JPG
    612.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Muntjac (2).jpg
    Muntjac (2).jpg
    772 KB · Views: 3
  • Fallow Deer_01.JPG
    Fallow Deer_01.JPG
    678.2 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_1204.JPG
    DSC_1204.JPG
    508.8 KB · Views: 3

MarkHows

Mostly Mammals
I put a few traps down in my little nature reserve and caught plenty of wood mice and bank voles

Attachments

• Bank Vole_01 (2).JPG
    Bank Vole_01 (2).JPG
    794.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Wood Mouse.JPG
    Wood Mouse.JPG
    609.2 KB · Views: 2

MarkHows

Mostly Mammals
A rescued bank vole and melanistic grey squirrels from the weekend

Mark

Attachments