• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

John's Mammals 2021 (1 Viewer)

Visited Devon, had a cracking time with the Beavers

Attachments

• Beaver (5).jpg
    Beaver (5).jpg
    746.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Beaver (8).jpg
    Beaver (8).jpg
    724 KB · Views: 6
  • Beaver (10).jpg
    Beaver (10).jpg
    736.6 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC_0878.jpg
    DSC_0878.jpg
    727.1 KB · Views: 5
I was very luck to have been able to see the Kuhl's Pipistrelle and Geoffroy's Bats in care and at their release in Sussex and a Nathusiu's Pipistrelle as well.

Attachments

• Geoffroy's Bat (5).JPG
    Geoffroy's Bat (5).JPG
    472.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Kuhl's Pipistrelle and Nathusius Pipistrelle.JPG
    Kuhl's Pipistrelle and Nathusius Pipistrelle.JPG
    591.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Kuhl's Pipistrelle (5).JPG
    Kuhl's Pipistrelle (5).JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Kuhl's Pipistrelle (2).JPG
    Kuhl's Pipistrelle (2).JPG
    468.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Geoffroy's Bat (7).JPG
    Geoffroy's Bat (7).JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 7
Jealous of Mark's success with the bats, photos too, wow!

Meanwhile back at base the six foxes continue to turn up nightly and I occasionally take photos of them. In the course of which I noticed that Terminator has no lower left canine and that pinged my memory... the long and short of it is that after comparing face markings etc very carefully in old photos and new it appears that "Terminator" is in fact our old friend Psycho (gets worse doesn't it?) who had a lower left canine split from top to bottom so the whole back was off, exposing the nerve. Which may have contributed to his bad temper.... it could well have fallen out by now.

Which makes him also a son of Big Whitey, so Patch and Smudge are in fact his brothers though not litter-mates. It doesn't show!

John

More Garden badger action almost every night along with muntjac, fox and the occasional hedgehog. Roe and Red Deer in Scotland, red squirrel and excellent bottlenosed dolphins at Channonry point. The local hares have been very active recently.

Attachments

• Bottlenosed Dolphin (10).JPG
    Bottlenosed Dolphin (10).JPG
    680.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Brown Hare (11).JPG
    Brown Hare (11).JPG
    590.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Hedgehog (2).JPG
    Hedgehog (2).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • Badger.jpg
    Badger.jpg
    788.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Roe Deer (2).JPG
    Roe Deer (2).JPG
    725 KB · Views: 5
Set off fairly early for Cemlyn Bay this morning. Really pleased to see a Hedgehog a couple of miles from the house. First one I’ve seen in a while.

A nice roadside pine marten late one night and lots of photogenic red squirrels from my recent trip to Scotland

Attachments

• DSC_0930.JPG
    DSC_0930.JPG
    785.5 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0931.JPG
    DSC_0931.JPG
    794.8 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0932.JPG
    DSC_0932.JPG
    766.5 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0933.JPG
    DSC_0933.JPG
    893.8 KB · Views: 3
Not much recently some mountain hares in Scotland (taken with phone) and the garden badgers are being very obliging.
51347373863_9543ea03cd_k.jpgMountain Hare.JPG
Mark

Something to be aware of: new double yellow lines on all the paved road and a gate blocking access to the parking for Edible Dormice at the edge of RAF Halton. It is still public access land so one could park legally elsewhere and walk in. If and when I and my team develop a new site we will put it out on here.

I've no evidence but I hardly think a few dormouse watchers a year have caused the problem that has led to the additional restrictions: more likely local druggies or doggers abusing the parking.

John

The blonde tail is supposedly characteristic of the original British race, Sciurus vulgaris leucurus
It's bleaching, when the tails moult you can see the proper colour (matching the rest of the fur or darker) come through progressively down the length of the tail. "Supposedly" is right!

John

It's bleaching, when the tails moult you can see the proper colour (matching the rest of the fur or darker) come through progressively down the length of the tail. "Supposedly" is right!

John
In that instance, it would still be a typical feature of the British ssp. though, since AFAIK tail bleaching doesn't occur in other populations.

Farnborough fox update: this morning Patch (dominant one of last year's male cubs) was around when I headed out to the car and trotted intermittently ahead of me, allowing photos in the end and listening with interest (but not understanding) to me telling him that at 0730 it was far too late for him to be around, threats from dogs being walked etc.....

This evening the usual suspects turned up to be fed and among interesting occurrences Rip (senior vixen but tiny and very much junior to all the dog foxes) chose to attend but then left unfed - but returned when I called her from out of sight by name! I conclude that she recognises her name at least: she came in relatively close (because, I believe, our three year relationship has a concomitant level of trust) and as a result I was able to ensure she got a particularly nice, large chicken drumstick - with which she then departed unmolested.

John

My word!

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Patch has progressed to the point where the other night he followed me from the door halfway up the road as I was on my way to the pub, before deciding it was more efficient to wait for me near the front door.

Elsewhere I explored a new woodland near Tring with Roy and it was stuffed with Edible Dormice but unfortunately the only one that showed easily was in a hole that we had been given privileged access to. I may not get back there this year but next year I hope to have more time and will report results.

I hope nobody is offended by an image of a dormouse whose exact location I can't reveal.

John20210810 (13)_Edible_Dormouse.JPG20210810 (15)_Edible_Dormouse.JPG

And a few recent pictures of my friend Patch.

20210730 (2)_Red_Fox.JPG20210809 (3)_Red_Fox.JPG20210813 (8)_Red_Fox.JPG

Yep. These are morning pictures. You can see how bothered he is by me moving about: the last sitting shot was after he preceded me on my way to the car. Even though he hardly ever gets fed in the morning Patch remains optimistic, though now he appears to have a girlfriend (per Marion) perhaps his habits will change a bit....

John

Hadn't seen Patch for a couple of days but he turned up last night, holding up his left front leg and hopping on the other one: he must have been immobilised and just tending it for the last two days.

Even last night he didn't dare come right in to the step to get fed, though I'm unsure whether that was about me or (I think more likely) about Scally, who I reckon is 99% likely to be responsible for what is almost certainly a badly bitten paw.

Anyway, Patch managed to consume a couple of drumsticks last night, which should keep him going, and I know from experience that foxes are tough little beggars that heal fast given a chance.

In other news my brother Dave and I had one of our regular flights in the Farnborough Aero Club Cherokee last week, mostly looking for Ashley Walk WWII trials bombing range features, but I also found a couple of small groups of Fallow Deer on one photo, not a competition winner but interesting that they showed up so well.

John

Quick update (Fox News? - no forget it!): Patch rocked up or rather hopped up with his girlfriend late last night and his appetite is back if not his mobility. Three drumsticks later he was content to follow her off down the street. Perhaps over the worst of it (do I mean injury or relationship forming....?)

John

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back