• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Joint Birdforum Lockdown List - April and May (1 Viewer)

Eagle Owl today

Cheated because it is 2km from my house.

Two Booted Eagle, 1 Egytian Vulture over house

Attachments

• E Owl.jpg
    E Owl.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 37
Corn Bunting seen this morning. I also had to go shopping by car this morning and saw Bald headed Ibis, but this may not count!!

Not new for the North American list but new for me for this month: Gray Catbird, Northern Waterthrush, Orchard Oriole.

A few more additions: Veery, Gray-cheeked Thrush, Peregrine Falcon, Magnificent Frigatebird, Philadelphia Vireo, Mississippi Kite.

North American list at 179.

Male Ring Ouzel!
Landed briefly on tree tops just behind garden.
Might have to do this more often

North Baddesley, Hampshire

And so lucky, as just 3 weeks later looking at the pic just taken, I wouldn't have had a chance of seeing it either in flight, or in the treetops

Attachments

• IMG_20200427_095937_copy_1587x1190.jpg
    IMG_20200427_095937_copy_1587x1190.jpg
    946 KB · Views: 30
Hit the 'motherlode' on our morning constitutional Today! Walked down to a small lake a couple of miles from home with the dog. Often the walk can be more interesting than the lake itself but this morning both paid dividends! On our way down there I had Barred warbler, (Eastern) Black-eared Wheatear (a year and patch tick), Turtle Dove, Red-backed Shrike and a singing Ortolan Bunting (another year tick)!
The lake itself gave up a lovely male Little Bittern, Sombre Tit and a female Citrine wagtail, another patch tick!
The walk back also provided lovely views of a handsome fox-red Steppe Buzzard.

Chris

Wryneck in the front garden at 19:45. My good lady and I both saw it, but before I could get a picture, my next-door neighbour came out of his side gate to fill up the garden rubbish bin (collection tomorrow morning) and the bird flew off!
MJB

Last edited:
Hit the 'motherlode' on our morning constitutional Today! Walked down to a small lake a couple of miles from home with the dog. Often the walk can be more interesting than the lake itself but this morning both paid dividends! On our way down there I had Barred warbler, (Eastern) Black-eared Wheatear (a year and patch tick), Turtle Dove, Red-backed Shrike and a singing Ortolan Bunting (another year tick)!
The lake itself gave up a lovely male Little Bittern, Sombre Tit and a female Citrine wagtail, another patch tick!
The walk back also provided lovely views of a handsome fox-red Steppe Buzzard.

Chris

Oh, wow! :t:

Coming up to the end of the month ... and lockdown still continues. Will do an update for months end, but do we then continue on and make it an ongoing lockdown list (as opposed to starting afresh?). Could start a new May month anyway? What do peeps want?

Restrictions still in place for most I believe??

Keep calm and carry on Dan would be my wish for the thread, it’s been fascinating to follow.
Here in France as you presumably know from your folks, after May 11 we can wander further afield (up to 100kms(!)) though that may not apply to all areas depending on rates of infection département by département and without the need to carry the self-completed justification form, my being restricted to walks no further than 1km from the house will therefore end just as the spring migration does :C , still we’re lucky to not be living in a built up area so it will be a great release for the town and city dwelling French birders!:t:

Keep calm and carry on Dan would be my wish for the thread, it’s been fascinating to follow.
Here in France as you presumably know from your folks, after May 11 we can wander further afield (up to 100kms(!)) though that may not apply to all areas depending on rates of infection département by département and without the need to carry the self-completed justification form, my being restricted to walks no further than 1km from the house will therefore end just as the spring migration does :C , still we’re lucky to not be living in a built up area so it will be a great release for the town and city dwelling French birders!:t:

I didn't know that, as although we do talk occasionally ( ;) ) they are effectively rather high risk and in almost compulsory house (and garden luckily) lockdown anyway and won't be leaving any time soon. At some point when possible I should consider going down there, but that has it's risks!

At whatever future point lockdown restrictions end for an agreed majority/most/whoever we can can then do a quick tally of what lockdown figure was reached and then turn it into a green combined garden/local walk thread for the rest of the year perhaps, but cross that bridge/street at the time ...

A green list is a great idea but be beware of potential “ Can I count birds seen on my rides on my ( electric) bike?” interminable debates! On foot only unless a handicap/injury means mechanical assistance exempts perhaps?
Hope your folks are receiving sufficient provisions, the first Gariguette strawberries are in the food stores now:t::t::t:

Nearby Agen is the prune capital of the world apparently ... ;) They've cancelled domestic help (on my insistence) but get someone to deliver a SuperU click and collect to the front porch etc ...

Nutcracker already contributed by bike so mechanical human powered presumably ... would include canoes etc but only as long as they are launched or carried from home (anyone in Venice on here?)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back