• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jordan early March (1 Viewer)

Himalaya

Going to Jordan next week......which places should I visit for wildlife? I will be in Amman for 6 full days.

Any recommendation, ideas, ?

If six days, I'd be sure to head to Petra and Wadi Rum - if you're without transport, both very doable. Look on my website for a report from one year ago, and on BF for Andrew Whitehouse's report from this year, both should give you a good idea of everything you need to know.

If six days, I'd be sure to head to Petra and Wadi Rum - if you're without transport, both very doable. Look on my website for a report from one year ago, and on BF for Andrew Whitehouse's report from this year, both should give you a good idea of everything you need to know.

How many hours is Petra from Amman by bus and how long would I need to sped there minimum?

Is Wadi Rum close to Petra, there must be hotels there?

I may not necessarily stay in Amman for all my 6 days. I do want to do some local sight seeing so not just a birding holiday. Any species which are endemic are look out for in Jordan?

Last edited:
How many hours is Petra from Amman by bus and how long would I need to sped there minimum?

Is Wadi Rum close to Petra, there must be hotels there?

I may not necessarily stay in Amman for all my 6 days.

By public transport, Petra (Wadi Musa) is about 3 hours from Amman, buses leaving from Wihdat station in the capital, mostly in morning. Two days should be enough, though one day could be okay if you short of time.

Wadi Rum is hard to get to on public transport, but absolutely worth the effort. I hear a bus leaves early morning from Wadi Musa to Petra, but otherwise any bus going to Aqaba can drp you at the junction, local taxi always wait there, so you can take one of them or hitch the last (?) 20 km.

No hotels at Wadi Rum, but there are very cheap tents set just behind the old visitor centre, or more expensive commercial camps up nearer the main entrance. I recommend the first variant, excellent birding is all within walking distance and the setting is exquisite. Two days needed, getting in and out by public transport in one day would be pushing it.

PS this last trip I had rented car, but on two previous visits, I hitch-hiked throughout, or used occasional buses. All sites equally accessible albeit with slightly more work.

Thanks for the information. How expensive is car hire there and how is the driving in the country?

Driving is very easy, most roads near deserted, no real need to go into the centre of Amman, etc.

Cost not excessive if you shop around, plug your dates into agents such as Car3000 and Tiger Rental to get an idea.

I dont have a photo licence, just a paper British one.....would that be ok?

Almost certainly yes.

I rented from these guys - they were perfect, cars under 40 USD per day.

http://www.montecar.com/Fleet.htm

From their FAQ page:

26. Do I require an International Driving Licence or I can use my home licence?
An International Drivers Permit License is not required in Jordan; you could drive our cars using your home licence.

I might just have to hire a car. If I do that and I visit Petra...Friday I stay in Amman....Saturday I set off to Petra and elsewhere......and be back Thursday morning...how should I plan my trip.....

I might just have to hire a car. If I do that and I visit Petra...Friday I stay in Amman....Saturday I set off to Petra and elsewhere......and be back Thursday morning...how should I plan my trip.....

Probably the best thing would be to head down to Aqaba via Petra and Wadi Rum and then back up through Wadi Araba and the Dead Sea. The distances aren't that great, so you should be able to fit plenty of birding in.

I know everyone recommends Petra and Wadi Rum for culture but I prefer Wadi Dana for birds and wildlife! Its Jordan's biggest nature reserve by far. Apart from not being able to see Sinai rosefinch, I pretty confident the birding is better there than anywhere else in Jordan.

Pretty much agree, but Wadi rum is certainly better for wheatears too and species such as Trumpeter Finch. As it can effectively be done en route to Petra (if with a car), then I agree this is would another option.

I know everyone recommends Petra and Wadi Rum for culture but I prefer Wadi Dana for birds and wildlife! Its Jordan's biggest nature reserve by far. Apart from not being able to see Sinai rosefinch, I pretty confident the birding is better there than anywhere else in Jordan.

Pretty much agree, but Wadi Rum is certainly better for wheatears too and species such as Trumpeter Finch. As it can effectively be done en route to Petra (if with a car), then I agree this is would another option.

Thanks all for your very valuable input! I have made a brief travel plan.....what do you think?

So If I set off from Amman on Friday morning to Petra and stop there for a few hour and then on to Aqba...for the night. Saturday I spend around Aqaba. Sunday i can head north. Then Sunday morning head up to Dana and the Dead Sea. Monday around the Dead Sea. Then Tuesday to Shaumaari and azraq.....How easy is it to see Onagers, Gazelles, Ostritches and Oryx at Shaumari?

I have made a plan. Here it is. I have read your reports - Jos and Andrew - both excellent! Both a big help. I cant even digest the information yet though so much to learn and read.

This is my schedule

Thursday 1st March

Pick up car and arrive at Amman for night

Friday 2nd March

Drive to Petra - Night in Aqaba

Saturday 3rd March

Day at Wadi Rum and night at aqaba

Sunday 4th march

Day around Aqaba – beach,Dissi

Then head to Dana area for night

Monday March 5th

Dana area then head to somewhere along the Dead Sea for the night

Tuesday 6th March

Dead Sea Tourism . Night maybe here somewhere

Wednesday 7th March

Head into Amman, night will have to be here…….

Thursday 8th March

- depart

No Shaumari and Azrak....I would love to have seen Oryx, onager. I do not want to stretch myself too much. Is one day at Petra enough?

I have made a plan. Here it is. I have read your reports - Jos and Andrew - both excellent! Both a big help. I cant even digest the information yet though so much to learn and read.

This is my schedule

Thursday 1st March

Pick up car and arrive at Amman for night

Friday 2nd March

Drive to Petra - Night in Aqaba

Saturday 3rd March

Day at Wadi Rum and night at aqaba

Sunday 4th march

Day around Aqaba – beach,Dissi

Then head to Dana area for night

Monday March 5th

Dana area then head to somewhere along the Dead Sea for the night

Tuesday 6th March

Dead Sea Tourism . Night maybe here somewhere

Wednesday 7th March

Head into Amman, night will have to be here…….

Thursday 8th March

- depart

No Shaumari and Azrak....I would love to have seen Oryx, onager. I do not want to stretch myself too much. Is one day at Petra enough?

One day at Petra should be enough for the birds. I wonder if you would be better to go to Wadi Dana on the way to Petra, rather than on the return. If you want to do the upper parts of Wadi Dana for species like Syrian Serin then that would be easier.

I'd recommend looking at my report or Jos's for areas along the Dead Sea. It's a good area generally though, and random stops could easily productive, particularly when migration is going on.

If time is limited then I think you're better doing this area of Jordan rather than heading out to the east. You should still pick up most things though.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back