• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

June Moths GB&I (1 Viewer)

smokenack

After last weeks weather meltdown here in the south east things quietened down and warmed up last night producing my best night so far this year, 46 moths of 16 species.

NFY were Cypress Carpet, Turnip Moth, Common Marbled Carpet, Small Magpie and Dichrorampha acuminatana.

I've been trying to trap more this year, every night if I can (weather, work and health permitting), in previous years I've trapped roughly every other night, and although I've recorded c.75% more moths than at this time last year I'm a couple of species down on last years tally at this date. 62 to 64 in 2015.

A proper summer night's trapping last night brought 139 moths of 37 species. 7 NFY including my first Broad-barred White for 6 years and this Common Rustic agg. (please correct me if I've got that wrong) which is about a month earlier than normal. Took me over an hour to go through the trap and surrounds.

I've heard many people moan about the lack of moths this year but so far this is my best year in the 7 years I've been trapping in my garden. I don't normally reach the high 30s in a night until late June.

Attachments

• DSCN3253 (2).JPG
    DSCN3253 (2).JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
I concur with smokenack..last night's haul from a single UV 15W (certainly modest compared to the above), circa 20 odd species to include Peach Blossom, Small elephant Hawk, Scorched Wing, Cypress Carpet, Buff Ermine and Silver Y....It would appear that the ''drought'' is no more.

Cheers

I trapped last night (125 Robinson) for National Moth Night in extremely NE Surrey and had about 60 species (includes some still to identify), the most numerous being .................... you guessed it, Diamond Back moth, with 79 specimens (plus several probable escapees). The catch included just one of the target Hawk moths with three Elephants (always nice to see).
Martin

146 moths of 47 species last night, totally unprecedented for my garden in early June.

Diamond-back numbers fluctuate wildly, 37 last night, 19 the night before but just 5 on the 9th after 59 on the 7th.

Last edited:
Trapping is becoming more interesting now. Apart from the ubiquitous Diamond-backed moth, homoeosoma sinuella was new for the garden. At Browndown South, an area of vegetated shingle on the coast, I came across pleurota bicostella yesterday, a new moth for me and uncommon in Hampshire.

Dave W

Putative Common Rustic agg.

A proper summer night's trapping last night brought 139 moths of 37 species. 7 NFY including my first Broad-barred White for 6 years and this Common Rustic agg. (please correct me if I've got that wrong) which is about a month earlier than normal. Took me over an hour to go through the trap and surrounds.

I've heard many people moan about the lack of moths this year but so far this is my best year in the 7 years I've been trapping in my garden. I don't normally reach the high 30s in a night until late June.

Looks like a Rustic Shoulder-knot to me.

Richard

Parked at the back of my dentists in Stourport on Severn today and in noticed a Scarlet Tiger in the weeds. Then i saw anouther and anouther and anouther, counted 8 without looking too hard.
Jackie

I've only recorded 4 Scoparid species in the 7 years I've been trapping in my garden, S.ambigualis, E.lacustrata, E.angustea and E.mercurella until two nights ago when I had 2 Eudonia pallida and then what do you know last night I had another NFG Scoparia pyralella.

Up to 119 species for the year now which is 30 more than in the previous best year up to this date.

Attachments

• DSCN3347 (2).JPG
    DSCN3347 (2).JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCN3361 (2).JPG
    DSCN3361 (2).JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 81
I ran a trap here in SW London last night for the first time in a few weeks. 20 or so moths of 10 species, the highest number being Heart and Dart (5). I had a few new ones - 2 Riband Waves (1 of each form, which was a nice compare), 1 Hypsopygia glaucinalis, 1 Crambus pascuella and 1 Diamond-backed Moth (wouldn't want to miss out!).

Rich.

Just back from setting up the trap at my local patch (Barnes , SW London). Whilst doing so noticed a few half-grown Toadflax Brocade larvae on Purple Toadflax and swept a fresh specimen of Stathmopoda pedella, which I always like seeing.
Hopefully a good haul to post tomorrow.
Martin

Attachments

• Stathmopoda pedella 24.vi.2016 swept from foliage.jpg
    Stathmopoda pedella 24.vi.2016 swept from foliage.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 64
Trapped this last night NE London (only my second ever, and a very attractive moth too), using my MV 125W for the first time this year....Best haul so far c 25 species including micros.

cheers

Attachments

• P1320058.jpeg  Green Silver-lines head-on..jpeg
    P1320058.jpeg Green Silver-lines head-on..jpeg
    176.6 KB · Views: 82
  • P1320065.jpeg  Green Silver-Lines.jpg
    P1320065.jpeg Green Silver-Lines.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 73
Best night ever for me last night as far as number of species goes. 65 species though a couple of them are still unidentified. Plenty NFY and a few if I can ID them (with your help maybe, see ID pages |=)|) NFG.

It's been a cracking June in my garden, totally unprecedented, I've thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Just back from setting up the trap at my local patch (Barnes , SW London). Hopefully a good haul to post tomorrow.
Martin

In the end we trapped for two consecutive nights.
On Friday night we had 56 species, of which a few are still to identify. One new site record (the Fan-foot, Zanclognatha tarsipennella), a few second records (Teleiodes lucullella and Rosy Marbled, Elaphria venustula), the latter being a good Surrey record. Also a couple of Peach-twig borers, Anarsia lineatella, both of which were very fresh and probably bred on site. The most numerous (16 specimens) was Chrysoteuchia culmella with Diamond-back moth, Plutella xylostella, coming a close second with 22 specimens.
On Saturday night we had fewer species (30) but more macros, including both Eyed and Elephant Hawk-moths, plus another new site record of Clouded Brindle, Apamea epomidion.
In total, just under 80 species.
Martin

Last edited:
Good catch last night for me too by recent standards, with around 65 species. Highlights included 4 Scarce Merveille du Jour, a Feline, and an Olive Crescent.

The most numerous (16 specimens) was Chrysoteuchia culmella with Diamond-back moth, Plutella xylostella, coming a close second with 22 specimens.
On Saturday night we had fewer species (30) but more macros, including both Eyed and Elephant Hawk-moths, plus another new site record of Clouded Brindle, Apamea epomidion.
In total, just under 80 species.
Martin

Just three corrections.
The most numerous (22 specimens) was Chrysoteuchia culmella with Diamond-back moth, Plutella xylostella, coming a close second with 17 specimens.
On Saturday night we had fewer species (35).
In total, 73 species.
174 specimens in total over the two nights.
Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back