• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

June Moths (1 Viewer)

Steve Lister

Senior Birder, ex County Recorder, Garden Moths.
United Kingdom
The first time I have ever been up early enough to start the thread!

A warm but clear night here in Leicestershire yielded just nine moths of nine species but NFY were Yellow-barred Brindle, Pale Tussock and Small Magpie.

Steve

Andy Adcock

England
The first time I have ever been up early enough to start the thread!

A warm but clear night here in Leicestershire yielded just nine moths of nine species but NFY were Yellow-barred Brindle, Pale Tussock and Small Magpie.

Steve
Same here in Notts, not lived up to expectations so far.

On a walk today, Brown Silver-line and Common Heath were plentiful, but I was pleased to see a Small Purple-barred, a species I don't see that often.

Farnboro John

Yellow Shell, Mother Shipton and Latticed Heath all on the wing at Martin Down this morning. Early start so I didn't run the trap.

John

Rubia

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes
01/06. Picking up here. 57 of 23 species.
NFY- Spectacle, Common Swift, Scoparia pyralella, Crambus lathoniellus, White Ermine and Grey Pine Carpet.
17 Common Wainscot, biggest number. This was my commonest moth last year.

Last edited:

Allen

Last night

Buff tip 1
Treble lines 7
Shuttle shaped Dart 3
H & D 3
Spruce Carpet 1
Cockchafer 8

Cockchafer wins !

Farnboro John

Three in the fridge for later ID, probably me being thick. I've run out of fingers and toes trying to count the rest.... figures later when I've fired up the calculator. Lesser Stag Beetle was a nice bonus.

John

Farnboro John

One still to ID, but the main stuff done now, 17 species (possibly + 1), 52 individuals.

NFY: Alder Moth, Grass Rivulet, Common Marbled Carpet, Common Carpet, Pale Tussock, Light Emerald (and as previously said, Lesser Stag Beetle).

Big(ger) numbers:

Pale Mottled Willow 5
Shuttle-shaped Dart 8
Heart and Dart 12
Treble Lines 4
Vines Rustic 4
Turnip 6

I'll stick a picture of the ID problem up later.

John

JWN Andrewes

Poor Judge of Pasta.
22 species this morning, 38 individuals. Highlights were White-pinion Spotted (tick), and a bunch of year ticks - Iron Prominent, Brown Silver-line, Setaceous Hebrew Character, Marbled Minor agg & Poplar Hawk-moth.

Attachments

• IMG_20210603_100351.jpg
    IMG_20210603_100351.jpg
    640.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210603_095847.jpg
    IMG_20210603_095847.jpg
    665.3 KB · Views: 5

Steve Lister

Senior Birder, ex County Recorder, Garden Moths.
United Kingdom
A rather disappointing catch after what I thought would be a good night. Still, my largest catch so far this year at 22 of 12, with six NFY:
Notelia cyanobastella
Cydia pomonella
Poplar Hawk-moth
Bright-line Brown-eye
Heart and Dart
Rustic Shoulder-knot

Steve

prhodes

For the first time this year my little trap contained a load of moths:
Brimstone, 2
Common Swift
Vines Rustic, 5
Pale Mottled Willow, 6
Shuttle-shaped Dart, 3
Common Pug
Heart and Dart
Silver-Y
Bright-line Brown-eye
Willow Beauty, 2
Snout
Common Carpet
Knot Grass (I think)
Freyer's Pug (I think)
Obviously.... ID corrections welcome. Phil

Attachments

• IMG_20210603_063305[1].jpg
    IMG_20210603_063305[1].jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20210603_063451[1].jpg
    IMG_20210603_063451[1].jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14

aeshna5

Agree with Knotgrass but would suggest Double-striped for the pug.

On my walk near Croydon today saw a couple of Burnet Companions, Mother Shipton, Lesser Treble-bar & Pyrausta aurata.

Rubia

02/06. 52 of 28 species. Of which 4 micros that need to go off for ID.
Lifer was a Buttoned Snout. NFY - Light Emerald, Willow Beauty, Cinnabar, Small Elephant H-M, Toadflax Brocade and Tawny-barred Angle.
Bonus was a Pine Snakefly - new for garden. Plus a Shore Sexton Beetle.

A cloud burst caused my MV bulb to explode whilst I was standing by the trap, trying to erect an umbrella. Ran the actinic after that, I have a spare bulb but they cost a bit so not worth the risk.

Last edited:

Andy Adcock

England
Agree with Knotgrass but would suggest Double-striped for the pug.

On my walk near Croydon today saw a couple of Burnet Companions, Mother Shipton, Lesser Treble-bar & Pyrausta aurata.
Agree, when you see a Freyer's, they're very obviously big and grey, boldly marked with black lines, quite obvious when you get one.

Allen

Had this on the bench by the trap this morning. Looks spot on for Toadflax Brocade but that seems to be a Red Data species. Any other possibilities?

Attachments

• 20210604_072306.jpg
    20210604_072306.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5

Rubia

Hi Allen
That's a Toadflax Brocade. No longer rare. It is very common now in the south. Here in Herts we get quite a lot to traps.
It is a warming winner I think and has moved across the country from Dungeness.

Rubia

03/06. 54 of 20 species so far, but I have a few in the fridge that I won't be able to do till Saturday.
NFY - Rustic Shoulder-knot and Pebble Prominent.
Beetle numbers going up too, including two Trox scaber last night which is rather an interesting looking thing.
Managed to do fridge moths (as Nightjar trip cancelled due to rain) and found a Dusky Brocade amongst then which is a garden tick.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread