• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Just another Mallard? Clearwater, Florida (1 Viewer)

rpharvey

Every time I ask about a duck it turns out to be a mallard so I presume this one will too. But I thought she looked too cool to be another junk shot so I thought I'd check to see if I might have caught something more interesting.

I don't seem to be able to tell one female duck from another so after you tell me it's just a mallard, I'd appreciate any pointers on how to tell a mallard from others.

Thanks.

Attachments

• duck.jpg
    duck.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 83

Microtus

Maryland USA (he/him)
Supporter
United States
I believe it is a Mallard, but a Mexican Mallard. Does that make you feel any better? :-O

The black corner to the bill (at the gape) means that the bird is a Mottled Duck. The unstreaked buffy throat also points to that species. The Mexican form of Mallard is, in the wild, found from Texas to Arizona and south into Mexico. These birds do not have black corners on the bills, nor should they have such a large area of unstreaked feathers on the face.

You took a nice portrait of that duck.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread