Just Friends (1 Viewer)

boger

Sitting in the consevatory yesterday I was watching a Sparrow Hawk sitting on the dividing fence at the rear or my garden, suddenly a very large Wood Pigeon flew down and sat beside it!! After a couple of seconds they both turned their heads and looked at oneanother, then with a start of suprise the pigeon flew of, hotley pursued by the hawk only to vanish behind a neighbours shed. I would like to ask anyone who knows, would the hawk have killed the pigeon and if so how was the bird so stupid.s

Rhion

A female Sparrowhawk is certainly capable of killing a Wood Pigeon. I'm not sure whether a male could manage a full-grown Wood Pigeon though.

The Tom

boger said:
Sitting in the consevatory yesterday I was watching a Sparrow Hawk sitting on the dividing fence at the rear or my garden, suddenly a very large Wood Pigeon flew down and sat beside it!! After a couple of seconds they both turned their heads and looked at oneanother, then with a start of suprise the pigeon flew of, hotley pursued by the hawk only to vanish behind a neighbours shed. I would like to ask anyone who knows, would the hawk have killed the pigeon and if so how was the bird so stupid.s

Hi Boger
Saw something similar myself once but it was a magpie sitting on my garage roof when a female sprawk landed alonside it , the usually very narky maggy looked decidedly sheepish and did not move a muscle untill the sprawk decided to go on its merry way ,seconds later the relieved maggy beat a hasty retreat

Katy Penland

Wonder if there's a "bird etiquette" similar to how dogs and cats can sometimes interact when suddenly in each others' presence? I.e., if the cat doesn't run, the dog doesn't chase.

Users who are viewing this thread