• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just LOVE this time of year.... (1 Viewer)

paulwfromtheden

Out at dawn this morning on my local patch.
Beautiful morning, cold and bright.
Saw my first Linnets of the year, back to make little Linnets (hopefully).
Looks as though the Reed Buntings may be pairing up. The have not bred on Bettington SF for a few years, so fingers crossed.
More Greenfinches than I can ever remember.
Great morning...then I came to work...

Yeah, it is cool. Over here in Maine, early spring migrants are already here, and others are starting to follow. It definitely makes birding that much more exciting when you know there's a good chance you'll see something new with each outing.

It's now light enough, late enough to pop into a local reserve for a while on the way home. There'll be Xmas trees in pubs before we know it.

"Just LOVE this time of year.... "

Me too Paul, even after all these years its still seems like a new miracle each year.

You might find me posting the same sentiment for each season in turn though.
Spring wouldn't seem as fresh and new without the contrast after winter.

Long may it continue. ;-)

I suppose we should spare a thought for some BF members who might not share our ever-changing seasons. I am sure they have their compensations though.

---
btw... Given the chance I would be straight out the back door. Failing that... in a box perhaps? :)

Certainly agree, can't wait to finish work and pop out to a local reserve. I've resolved to go out at least once a week. Monday was great, 49 species in just over an hour. "Only" common birds, but great to get good views and birds in smart plumage, and we've still the summer migrants to look forward to.

Me too. After work yesterday I went to a nearby reserve to listen to the evening chorus. Again, mainly common species, but heard a distant raven, and also heard a tawny owl. Beautiful sunset too, and then a few hundred lingering pink-footed geese flew in and added their own sound to the piece.

Couple of Wheatears back on territory , this sight is always the start of things to come. A good downpour of hailstones must have made them think twice about being the early arrivals

One of the things I love most about this time of year is the birdsong in the morning: robins singing from the rooftops, mourning doves cooing, the bright song of the Song Sparrow, the chorus of red-winged blackbirds, the honking of Canada Geese flying overhead, and the cheerful, bubbling notes of the American Goldfinches make it so worthwhile to go outside and just listen and enjoy the peace of the day.

After a very 'strange' Winter you can't beat getting back to normal - the cutting east winds of Spring accompanying the Blackthorn blossom, just the odd Chiffchaff and Sand Martin, no other migrants showing their faces yet (not round here, anyway!)

Adey Baker said:
After a very 'strange' Winter you can't beat getting back to normal - the cutting east winds of Spring accompanying the Blackthorn blossom, just the odd Chiffchaff and Sand Martin, no other migrants showing their faces yet (not round here, anyway!)

Indeed. Only Chiffchaffs around here as well, though some others have seen SM's. This North wind keeps them at bay I thing, as soon as it turns south/west, the season will really begin...

paulwfromtheden said:
Indeed. Only Chiffchaffs around here as well, though some others have seen SM's. This North wind keeps them at bay I thing, as soon as it turns south/west, the season will really begin...

Think you're right about the winds. I was down on the Sussex coast during the week and saw a pair of wheatear right on the edge of the cliffs at Birling Gap. Also a willow warbler, no hirundines though.

Joanne

Had the strangest Winter/Spring this year in terms of migrants. Had my earliest ever chiffchaffs and sand martins on the 11th March but since then not a peep from any other migrants. Damn the cold weather and north winds!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back