• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just received a 10x42L (1 Viewer)

F88

Hello all,

I Just got these and I'm reasonably impressed so far.

The optics appear to be up there given first impressions.
Image stabiliser does quite a decent job although I have noticed a slight blurring effect after panning which seems to settle down once settling on a position. I assume this is normal?

I never thought I'd go for a stabilised binocular but these have been on my radar for quite a while.

Happy to answer questions and give impressions on these if anyone is interested.

Regards,

Dave

Dave

Welcome to the dark side.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff, It seems a bit that way.

Can't complain about the view at all so far.
Spent some more time viewing and tracking birds and the IS handled very well. Some artefacts can be induced by whizzing around when panning etc but overall the IS functions very well and really enhances the view, and of course the novelty factor.

I'm looking forward to getting out with these and soaking up some views and birds. You can really study the fine details of a bird with these things, not to say that you can't with any decent binocular, but with the Canon it's quite profound.

Im looking into getting a pair of these as well. How comfortable are the eye cups? How well is CA controlled? Any idea how long the batteries last? Thanks!

Im looking into getting a pair of these as well. How comfortable are the eye cups? How well is CA controlled? Any idea how long the batteries last? Thanks!
I haven't spent much time with them to give any really solid details but so far I'm comfortable with the eye cups, CA is very well controlled in my observations thus far- it appears to be amongst top performers in this area.

As far as the batteries go, I've opted opted for NiMH LSD batteries (Fujitsu, basically the same as the white Eneloop of which I also favour).

I haven't done enough viewing to comment much on battery life but from reports I've read and my general experience (with batteries)- I have a feeling that batteries will go a long way.
Two of these in series equates to ~3V, 2000mAh with minimal voltage sag and low self discharge.

There's probably a small amount of parasitic drain from the electronic switch but my guess is that it's negligible so no need to remove batteries between use (with NiMH or lithium primaries unless of course you opt for alkaline which are infamous for leaking/destroying things).

I'll probably have a decent play tomorrow and get some solid viewing time.

So far I wouldn't hesitate to say that the optics are at "alpha" level, and all things considered these offer excellent views.

Last edited:
Just had some time doing some night time viewing (had some time during the afternoon/evening for a look also). I'm not an astronomer but these are great for the night sky.

Generally looking around into dark and artificially lit areas just for the sake of it.

These things are addictive. The optics are without a doubt right up there and coupled with the IS it's really something (preaching to the choir I'm sure for many).

Obviously it's early days with these but I'm really enjoying them.
Great neutral colours, sharp, top notch CA control, such a lovely view all round.

Love the focus on these, it's ultra smooth and light yet sure and precise. Great control with a true finger tip touch.

I could rant about these quite a bit but also understand that they might not be everyone's cup of tea.

They truly are a different animal, I think so anyway, and should be looked upon as such (whatever that means).

One things for sure, whatever the assessment, you can't argue with the view. IS enhanced alpha glass.

Dave,

Welcome to the club. They are indeed addictive.

For longer term viewing, it is very rewarding to hold these with a light monopod or a selfie-stick attached to the 1/4 inch thread conveniently placed under the binocular. That allows you to hold your hands down while viewing. For focusing, you'll need to take one hand up of course, but the IS fortunately does not need to be pressed all the time.

- Kimmo

Thanks Kimmo, that does sound like a good idea. I'll be having a go at lugging these around on a walk today for some general viewing and of course bird watching.

Regarding bulk/weight, for birding and covering ground I don't think these would replace a standard (7 or 8x) binocular for me. That said, I don't find them unergonomic and when you consider what they are, not particularly heavy either (those of us using a ~50mm binocular).

Well these things continue to amaze.
Went for a decent walk with them today and had varied views from coastal lookouts in bright sun to tight forest canopy and low light.
Had a snake slither right below me as I put the binoculars back in their case and into my bag at one stage, that was interesting (not uncommon). Looked like a brown (eastern), I prefer the blacks (red belly)- I'm ok with them.

What CA? These things don't even know the term, try as I may to induce it just for the sake of it and they refused to show any. Their glare control is also excellent.

I love the colour balance on these, super sharp, excellent contrast. I'm still trying to fault the view. Truly first class.

I'll have to do something about the diopter locking mechanism, it's too light on and often disengaged accidentally and changing the setting. Easy fix though.

I reckon the view through these would surprise a lot of the bird forum crowd. They surprised me, I thought they'd be pretty good but so far they are well exceeding.

Went for a decent walk with them today and had varied views from coastal lookouts in bright sun to tight forest canopy and low light.
Had a snake slither right below me as I put the binoculars back in their case and into my bag at one stage, that was interesting (not uncommon). Looked like a brown (eastern), I prefer the blacks (red belly)- I'm ok with them.

What CA? These things don't even know the term, try as I may to induce it just for the sake of it and they refused to show any. Their glare control is also excellent.

I love the colour balance on these, super sharp, excellent contrast. I'm still trying to fault the view. Truly first class.

I'll have to do something about the diopter locking mechanism, it's too light on and often disengaged accidentally and changing the setting. Easy fix though.

I reckon the view through these would surprise a lot of the bird forum crowd. They surprised me, I thought they'd be pretty good but so far they are well exceeding.

Careful, there is a small minority of Canon 10x42L users here on BF who are resolutely impervious to all the 'world changing new optics' propaganda provided by the various 'alpha' glass makers.
Don't get sucked in, learn to relish the thought of paying 2-3x as much for a pair of unstabilized binoculars from big 'alpha' names.
Hans Christian Andersen is alive and well in today's binocular world....

Does anyone know how often Canon modifies the firmware? Can you upload a new version from the web?
I see some attractive prices on "brand new still in the box" items and I'm wondering if I need to worry about the date of manufacture.

The Canon IS binoculars don't have firmware revisions afaik, although the stabilization mechanism has changed in their newer models from that used in the 10x42ISL.
The 10x42ISL did get an internal upgrade a couple of years after its introduction to enlarge the field stop, as the true aperture was restricted initially to 37mm as a result. I don't know whether the coatings have been been upgraded over the years, but I cannot see any visible difference between my 2008 and 2018 examples.

Ще трябва да направя нещо по отношение на механизма за заключване на диоптъра, той е твърде светъл и често се изключва случайно и променя настройката. Лесно решение обаче.

Предполагам, че гледката през тях би изненадала голяма част от тълпата на форума за птици. Изненадаха ме, мислех, че ще бъдат доста добри, но засега са доста надвишаващи.
какво е новото с вашия Canon 10x42 L IS

Hi Bockos,

I haven't done a lot of viewing recently but when I have it's been with the Canon and they're still impressing me.
Haven't needed to swap the batteries out yet.

Took the Canon out yesterday afternoon under grey and windy skies. Observed some white-bellied sea eagles around a large salt water lake and generally soaked up the view.
If I'm going out with binocular viewing being a priority, the Canon are what I'll take. I think it's quite difficult for other binoculars to compete with these.
I didn't bother securing the diopter lock, but since I became more conscious of it I haven't accidentally disengaged it on the last few trips, as easy as it is to do.
I suppose there's occasions where I'd favour a standard (non IS) full sized binocular in place but I'm still enamored by top optics combined with IS.

Dave,

To your last comment about occasions for favouring a standard full-size binocular over the Canon IS L.
I've been doing binocular reviews for Finnish birding magazines more or less regularly since the late 1990's. I bought for myself the Canon 15x50 IS right after testing it, and then did the same with the 10x42 L IS in 2006, and have been using them ever since.

Over the years, I have loaned, tested and reviewed just about all of the premium binoculars introduced by the top makers, and while most of them are truly fine instruments with lovely views, it consistently comes as a relief to come back to the stabilised views of the Canon. In fact, if I'd do field testing with a new alpha in conditions where I'd not have my scope with, I'd take the Canons along also. "Just to be able to compare," but actually in order to use them in case something truly interesting would come by.

Of course, your experience may differ. And were I a collector of binoculars rather than a geek who just wants to use what's best for him, I'd buy a few of the lovely alphas with last century technology into my collection and just enjoy their super-modern optical and mechanical excellence despite their lack of the one modern optical innovation that actually matters.

- Kimmo

Kimmo,

I may prefer a standard binocular (full size) scrambling through scrub etc?
But of course, you are completely right when you said "The one modern optical innovation that actually matters".
While I still feel that the optics alone in the Canon are competitive with top glass, the IS takes the view to another level completely unmatched by any other standard glass.

Perhaps I'm now spoilt from using the blasphemous IS enhanced bins? I can relate to your sentiment of relief when returning back to the Canon. There's nothing like the calm, steady and super detailed view.

The Canon are a firm favourite. I find very little trade off to standard bins- the ergonomics are fine, I'm not adverse to their size/bulk or even the weight which may be the biggest adjustment. Potential issues with electronics long term? All things considered it's the view that far out weighs any compromise.

As I wrote somewhere some time ago, Swarovski / Zeiss / Leica / Nikon all should send a case of champagne every year to Canon with a letter, thanking Canon for putting their excellent optics and IS mechanism into an ugly brick-shape body the ergonomics of which I consider appalling, with eyecups that are impossible for people with narrow IPD like me.

Just imagine Canon coming out with a bino that combines the wonderful optics and IS of the 10x42 L with the ergonomic body of an NL ....

As I wrote somewhere some time ago, Swarovski / Zeiss / Leica / Nikon all should send a case of champagne every year to Canon with a letter, thanking Canon for putting their excellent optics and IS mechanism into an ugly brick-shape body the ergonomics of which I consider appalling, with eyecups that are impossible for people with narrow IPD like me.

Just imagine Canon coming out with a bino that combines the wonderful optics and IS of the 10x42 L with the ergonomic body of an NL ....
I really don't think you have any experience with this binocular. Perhaps you had a brief encounter and your preconceived ideas got in the way?
Granted the design is different- I'd imagine that its form was a necessity to fit in the electronics and so on. Either way my experience does not mirror yours and I can hold them very comfortably and I don't even find them particularly ugly either.

I must say that I had been apprehensive for quite a while before my purchase with somewhat similar expressions to your own along with the extra complication of design and electronics.

Bottom line for me is that I believe the view they provide excels and considering I can hold and view through them as comfortably and easily as a standard binocular.

I can understand why seemingly so few sing praise of the Canon and equally that those in the know do.
For me, I'm just glad I got over any misconceptions I had regarding ergonomics or blasphemous designs both internal and external.
After all, I look through them not at them but even then I'm happy and need not imagine.

Last edited:
F88 wrote:
Perhaps you had a brief encounter and your preconceived ideas got in the way?“

Hahaha - good one 😁
I have actually a lot of experience with Canon IS binoculars in general (I own seven different models and have written a number of reviews) and with the 10x42 IS WP in particular (which I own since 2017), so please stop making assumptions that are far from the truth.
You have your opinion about the ergonomics of the Canon, and I have mine.
Okay?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back