• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just started phonescoping (1 Viewer)

I got a Kowa 883 scope just before lockdown so have only started being able to test it over the last two weeks.
It’s incredibly hard to get photos but I’m having a little success
Hi Darren (is it ?)

There's nothing the matter with those videos, the Bunting is great. What trouble are you having?

Regards

Ian

Hello Darran

I used to use the Iphone 6 which gave ok images & video - I think it had 6 or 8 MP, but then changed to a Samsung s10, with 12.5 MP and a 6.5 inch screen, which made the photos sharper & brighter & focusing became clearer & easier.
Here's a small clip to demonstrate @ about 45 zoom - & subject was 75m away. Light was behind me. I use a CF 3 section no centre column tripod and counter balanced gitzo head to stabilise everything. My objective lens is much the same as yours @ 85. Your scope, like my Zeiss are great glass & I'm assuming you have a 20-60 zoom, mines 20-75, so you should get good light.
Is your phone lens tight up against the eyepiece?
View attachment 20210320_083822.mp4

Hello Darran

I used to use the Iphone 6 which gave ok images & video - I think it had 6 or 8 MP, but then changed to a Samsung s10, with 12.5 MP and a 6.5 inch screen, which made the photos sharper & brighter & focusing became clearer & easier.
Here's a small clip to demonstrate @ about 45 zoom - & subject was 75m away. Light was behind me. I use a CF 3 section no centre column tripod and counter balanced gitzo head to stabilise everything. My objective lens is much the same as yours @ 85. Your scope, like my Zeiss are great glass & I'm assuming you have a 20-60 zoom, mines 20-75, so you should get good light.
Is your phone lens tight up against the eyepiece?
View attachment 1375366
That looks very nice. I'm aware the phone's not the best, so I'll probably have to upgrade. I'm currently using a Gitzo tripod at the moment. In fact I'm trying to decide whether to sell my Canon 600 IS USM as it's not really practical for me to take both out into the field. I have been clasping tight to the eyepiece.

That looks very nice. I'm aware the phone's not the best, so I'll probably have to upgrade. I'm currently using a Gitzo tripod at the moment. In fact I'm trying to decide whether to sell my Canon 600 IS USM as it's not really practical for me to take both out into the field. I have been clasping tight to the eyepiece.
I've just upgraded my camera & lens but prefer the scope & smartphone. The only thing is, it's hard to take instant shots.
I've just bought a Novograde DSLR attachment from the USA but it's not very practical & light gathering is awful.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back