• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just when you thought it was safe to go back to the library... (1 Viewer)

And by the way; something might, could be (all) wrong with latter Journal regarding the volumes/issues wanted!?

Revista Forestal Baracoa, vol. 1 was published in 1971 (onwards supposedly with 2 issues per year), and note that the same Author wrote:
Regalado Ruiz, P. 1975. Primer hallazgo de Speotyto cunicularia (Molina) criando en Cuba. Revista Forestal Baracoa 5 (l-2):36-56.

On top of that I think we, someone, maybe (hopefully!) can find "Melanerpes superciliosus rosamariae" in:
Reagalado Ruiz, P. 1977. "Nueva subespecie de Contopus caribaeus (Aves) para Cuba. (in Spanish) [New subspecies of Contopus caribaeus (Aves) from Cuba]. Instituto de Desarollo y Aprovechamiento Forestales, La Habana Cuba.
The artikel in Revista Foresal Baracoa, 1977 (Jan-Jun.), p.37-40, looks like it´s only a summary of the latter. [It´s also cited as: Regalado Ruíz, P. (1977) Nueva subespecie de Contopus caribaeus (Aves) para Cuba. Rev. Forestal Nos. 1–2: 37–40.]

Nova series? New series?

If we find either one of them we might also find the "p. 36?" still missing!

And James, regarding today's HBW Aive Key entry:
rosamariae
Female eponym; dedication unseen (Regalado Ruiz ?1981, ?Revista Forestal Baracoa, vol.?, p.?) (see Buden & Olson 1989, Appendix, which indicates that this name may not have been published) (syn. Melanerpes superciliosus).
Don´t you mean M. superciliaris?

Or?

One less to look for!

Thanks to the kindness of Mr. Koichi Ohashi at the Library at AFFRIT (Agriculture Forestry and Fisheries Research Information Technology Center) in Ibaraki, Japan, I have (on James's behalf) now recieved a Photo copy of Momiyama's paper in Dōbutsugaku Zasshi alt. Doubutsugaku zasshi or Dobutsu-gaku Zasshi (動物学雑誌), vol. 35 (No. 417-422): pp. 400-415 (all in Japanese!)

Due to Japenese copyright rules it will not be published here in full, however I will forward it all to James. In a day or two. Thereby (if anyone is still looking for it; relax); it´s no longer "unsen", but found. Now in the pipe-line to be translated.

This paper includes the ODs of the following ten birds:
(1) "Otus bakkamoena hatchizionis, subsp. nov." (pp.400-401)
(2) "Microscelis amaurotis matchie, subsp. nov." (pp.401-402)
(3) "Troglodytes troglodytes mosukei, subsp. nov." (pp.402-403)
(4) "Erithacus akahige sgectatoris, subsp. nov." (pp.403-404)
(5) "Merula celaenops kurodai, subsp. nov." (pp.404-408)
(6) "Cisticola cisticola djadja, subsp. nov." (p.408)
(7) "Horornis cantans medius, subsp. nov." (pp.408-410)
(8) "Parus major chimae, subsp. nov." (pp.410-412)
(9) "Emberiza cioides tametomo, subsp. nov." (pp.412-413)
(10) "Chloris sinica sitchitoensis, subsp. nov." (pp.413-414)

If I bump into my Japanese friend and neighbour Nobuhiko Osawa, maybe he can explain some of it? We´ll see.

Björn

PS. If anyone else wants a copy, don´t hesitate to ask (if so use the BirdForum Private Message system and let me have your regular e-mail-address, as it will be a file too large to be attached here).
--

Last edited:
My neighbour and friend Nobuhiko Osawa delivers again!

After he´d read the full paper by Momiyama (1923) we had a chat in my studio some days ago, and after that he was kind enough to sit down by the computer and put some of his words in writing (as below, in English, the paper itself is all in Japanese) ...

• regarding "Cisticola cisticola djadja" he wrote:
In this article I couldn't find a single hint that suggested how come this name.
I have read a couple of articles in which authors tried to express warbler's songs(notes).
Both expressed same way.Acording to them Warbler sings:

1) when they flying down "djadja djadja" or "chocho chocho
2) when they flying far away "dja dja"
[...]
Onomatopoeia is only one my solution for this mysterious name.
To back it up he attached the following (Japanese) links; here and here.
Thereby I conclude that he did pin-point it already in post #79! :t:
Also see my PS in the same post.

• ... and about "Emberiza cioides tametomo" he wrote [the OD includes neither explanation nor any dedication]:
... japanese name: Tametomo ho-ji-ro ( = tametomo bunting), ho-ji-ro is japanese name for bunting.

Here is my guess:
When he named this bunting Mr.Momiyama thought:
Minamoto no Tametomo (first name) was well-known samurai (then, but even today specially among the older generation). So when you name Tametomo many japanese remind this samurai and his name in turn probably assosiate Oshima in Izu islands (regard references).
Since Oshima is habit of this subspecies, using name of Tametomo instead of Island's name might be little literary and sounded good.
He also attached the following Wiki-links; here and ditto here (in Swedish)

Thereby I assume the scientific name tametomo commemorates the epic, great Japanese Samurai and commander Minamoto no Tametomo (1139–1170), of the Minamoto clan, a k a Chinzei Hachirō Tametomo, in the end bannished to the Island Oshima (a k a Ōshima, Izu-Oshima), where this bird was found!

According to Wikipedia this guy was: "Son of Minamoto no Tameyoshi and brother of Yukiie and Yoshimoto" [my italics]. Tametomo is (in the Japanese mind-set) closely associated with the Izu Island chain and Oshima Island. He is also (even if it has nothing to do with the issue itself) known as the very first to commit seppuku!

On top of this Nobuhiko Osawa also, as a mere bonus, added some additional thoughts regarding the explanation of:
• "Troglodytes troglodytes mosukei", as he slightly disagree on the HBW Alive Key's explantion, i.e. on the part in brackets: "(cf. Japanese name Mosuke for the wren)" ...
Mizosazai is japanese name for wren.
And he adds (in ink pen): "Mosuke doesn´t mean wren in Japanese, but a name of [a] Japanese man". The OD includes no outspoken dedication, however it tells us:
Mr. Mosuke Saito was an old man and an inhabitant of Hachijo (spelled Hatchiziou then) island. He donated a pair of juvenile wrens to Mr. Momiyama.
Also see attached excerpt. To be extra clear Nobuhiko explains: "Mosuke is Mr. Saito's first name." Note that the Island Hachijo (old Hatchiziou alt. Hachijyo jima) also is part (in the centre) of the Izu Island chain.

If this Mr. Mosuke Saito is the same guy as the Key's "Mosuke Satô" is unknown to both of us, but it ought to be, doesn´t it? I assume it´s simply a question of how it´s transcribed. In any case Nobuhiko Osawa added that he would transcribe the Japanese name, of the guy mentioned in the OD, as "Saito" (in Western letters).

What can one say, but (again): Dômo arigatô gozaimasu.

That´s it: enjoy!

Björn
--

Attachments

• T. t. mosukei.jpg
    T. t. mosukei.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Summary, this far

So; what´s left?

●Buturlin, S. A. 1929. Sistematicheskiye zametki o ptitsakh Severnogo Kavkaza.
1929 Turdus philomelus nataliae Buturlin, p. 15
[Бутурлин С.А. 1926. Птицы Северного Кавказа. Систематические заметки о птицах Северного Кавказа]

Ezhegodnik Muzeya Poltavskogo Gubernskogo Zemstva 1914-1915. Poltava.
1917 Cynchramus schoeniclus pereversievi Gavrilenko, 3-4, pp. 82+
[Гавриленко Н.И. 1917. Предварительные сведения о птицах Полтавской губернии // Ежегодник Музея Полтавского Губернского Земства 1914–1915. Полтава, С. 21–95]

The India Review of Works on Science, and Journal of Foreign Science and the Arts, …
1838 Bahila Hodgson, 2, no. 2 (1837), p. 87
[The India Review of Works on Science, and Journal of Foreign Science and the Arts; embracing Mineralogy, Geology, Natural History, Physics, &c.]

●Uvarova, E. M. 1950. Ornitofauna gornogo khrebta Bassek, ee ekologicheskiye i zoologicheskiye svyazi.
1950 Prunella modularis belousovi Uvarova, p.?
[Уварова. 1950. Орнитофауна горного хребта Бассег, ее экологические и зоогеографическне связи (автореферат), Сев. Урал]

(●Revista Forestal Baracoa. La Habana.)
1977 Xiphidiopicus percussus marthae Regalado-Ruíz, 3, p. 36?
1981 Melanerpes superciliosus rosamariae Regalado-Ruiz, vol.7?, p.?...
Only five (or six birds). That´s all ...

Good luck finding those as well!

Björn

PS. I´m done in this thread. See you all elsewhere!

marthae & rosamariae

Long overdue, I know ... but I simply have to re-open this old thread, as I this Monday received the following message, from Isis Benítez, Instituto de Investigaciones Agro-Forestales, La Habana (Havanna), Cuba:
Le comunico que he buscado en la Revista Forestal Baracoa desde 1971 hasta 1992 y no hay ningún artículo del autor Pedro Regalado Ruiz que haga referencia a lo solicitado por usted:

● Xiphidiopicus percussus marthae Regalado-Ruíz 1977
● Melanerpes superciliosus rosamariae Regalado-Ruíz 1981(?)
Thereby I think we can forget about finding those two names in Revista Forestal Baracoa, at least in that particular Journal. If ever published elsewhere is beyond my knowledge. To me it looks like Buden & Olson was correct, back in 1989 (here, p.32), when they indicated that those names may not have been published at all ... !? None of them?

With many, many thanks to the kindness and perseverance of Isis Benítez, for making time, on own accord, to voluntarily search through all those hundreds, thousands of pages, simply as a spontaneous response to my minor inquiry. :t:

Occasionally you just have to love people's willingness to help!

Björn

PS. Also dealt with in thread Etymologies; the beginning of the end, or .... (here), as well as in the even older thread Revista Forestal Baracoa. La Habana., from back in 2013 (here).

Surprisingly, the Cuban ornithologist Arturo Kirkconnell (Sr.) has apparently seen the OD of "Xiphidiopicus percussus marthae"... !?!

At least according to this Paper in Cotinga 14 (2000), as in; "Rev. Forestal 33: 34-37", see the List of Referencias, end of Paper (Ref. No. 11).

If still of any interest?

Björn

PS. Either way; it´s probably at typo as "vol 33", of Revista Forestal Baracoa, seems to be from 2014. See here. But would he list it, if he hadn't seen it? Maybe its not the Baracoa issue at all ... ?
--

Last edited:
Re. belousovi ... all in Russian

● Uvarova, E. M. 1950. Ornitofauna gornogo khrebta Bassek, ee ekologicheskiye i zoologicheskiye svyazi.
1950 Prunella modularis belousovi Uvarova , p.?
[Уварова. 1950. Орнитофауна горного хребта Бассег, ее экологические и зоогеографическне связи (автореферат), Сев. Урал]
Is this possibly, maybe of some help in finding Uvarova's Paper ... ?

Фонд № р-1443. Опись № 1. Дело № 307.

УВАРОВА В.Я. ОРНИТОФАУНА ГОРНОГО ХРЕБТА БАССЕГ, ЕЁ ЭКОНОМИЧЕСКИЕ И ЗООГЕОГРАФИЧЕСКИЕ СВЯЗИ (АВТОРЕФЕРАТ) Г.МОЛОТОВ,1949-1950 ГГ.

Google Translate:
UVAROVA V.YA. ORNITOFAUNA GORNOGO KHREBTA BASSEG, YeYo EKONOMICHESKIYe I ZOOGEOGRAFICHESKIYe SVYAZI (AVTOREFERAT) G.MOLOTOV,1949-1950 GG.

UVAROVA V.YA. ORNITOFAUNA OF THE MOUNTAIN RIDGE BASEG, ITS ECONOMIC AND ZOOGEOGRAPHIC RELATIONS (SUMMARY) G.MOLOTOV, 1949-1950.

Даты документов: 1949–1950 гг.
Тип документов: Документы личного происхождения
Количество листов: 11

Другие дела описи № 1 фонда № р-1443

[Here, or/alt. here (No.307)]​

It's all in Russian ... and as such I haven't got a clue what it says, if it takes us any closer, or not?

Hopefully of some help?

Either way: Enjoy!

Björn

The web site belongs to "Agency for Archives of the Perm Territory". From those links you posted it looks like the archives have a copy of the Uvarova document. Or maybe the document itself, but it doesn't matter.

Whether you can get a copy of the document, and if so how, is unclear from what I could see. It offers the possibility of registering and logging in at the site, so I went so far as to do that. Or at least I tried to do it, but there was no response when I sent in my e-mail and password. So that doesn't seem to be working, at least not for me who isn't in Perm or even in Russia.

But anyway the name of the document they have includes the word "Abstract". An abstract might be useful but it isn't the full document.

Thanks Paul, that was a good try! :t: And a bold move.

I would never have dared to log-in to an obscure Russian site. On the other hand, I didn't understand a single word of what it said. Hopefully you won't drown in spam.

However, I have no personal interest of getting a copy of the document. Uvarova's missing Paper is all James's. I only did my best trying to find it. We'll see if it will turn up, onwards.

belousovi... over and out! (on my part, that is). ;)

Keep digging.

Björn

I would never have dared to log-in to an obscure Russian site. On the other hand, I didn't understand a single word of what it said. Hopefully you won't drown in spam.

Don't overestimate my Russian skills. I can translate a few words, but not a whole web page like that. But if you paste a web page's URL into the "source" box of Google Translate it will open up a translated version of the web page in a new tab.

He told me that the OD tells us that Momiyama was given seven specimens (5 males, 1 female, and 1 unsexed), by Mr. Takahashi Eizo, and that it was the latter who suggested that this new subspecies ought to be named after Mr. Motosuke Oka [Like he wrote it: "firstname: Motosuke 元輔 , surname: Oka 岡], principal of Kobe junior highschool in Japan, who [if I understood his rather strong Japanese-Swedish accent correctly] Mr. Eizo admired for his fine collection of Korean birds, that Mr. Oka himself (at least some of them – however not this bird) had collected in Korea [in those days was Korea under Japanese rule].-
Surely it would be nice to get his life dates as well. Therefore I give him for that reason a restart awre that it might difficult t find the dates.

On top of this Nobuhiko Osawa also, as a mere bonus, added some additional thoughts regarding the explanation of:
• "Troglodytes troglodytes mosukei", as he slightly disagree on the HBW Alive Key's explantion, i.e. on the part in brackets: "(cf. Japanese name Mosuke for the wren)" ...
Mizosazai is japanese name for wren.
And he adds (in ink pen): "Mosuke doesn´t mean wren in Japanese, but a name of [a] Japanese man". The OD includes no outspoken dedication, however it tells us:

Mr. Mosuke Saito was an old man and an inhabitant of Hachijo (spelled Hatchiziou then) island. He donated a pair of juvenile wrens to Mr. Momiyama.
Also see attached excerpt. To be extra clear Nobuhiko explains: "Mosuke is Mr. Saito's first name." Note that the Island Hachijo (old Hatchiziou alt. Hachijyo jima) also is part (in the centre) of the Izu Island chain.

If this Mr. Mosuke Saito is the same guy as the Key's "Mosuke Satô" is unknown to both of us, but it ought to be, doesn´t it? I assume it´s simply a question of how it´s transcribed. In any case Nobuhiko Osawa added that he would transcribe the Japanese name, of the guy mentioned in the OD, as "Saito" (in Western letters).

This is the lectotype: ミソサザイ Troglodytes troglodytes YIO-00072 【山階鳥類研究所 標本データベース】
This is the paratype: ミソサザイ Troglodytes troglodytes YIO-00073 【山階鳥類研究所 標本データベース】

A bit surprisingly, Momiyama's labels cite a "Mr. Mosuké", as if he understood this as the donor's last name, rather than his first name...

I was wondering if you might still have the scan of this paper somewhere, Björn ?

That's almost spooky :oops: ... yesterday my friend (and neighbour) Nobuhiko Osawa also had the same guy in mind !?!

I hadn't seen him for a couple of weeks, and now he suddenly turned up again outside my Studio, with a somewhat sad expression, shaking his head, after having had yet another go, at trying to find out more, about the man behind the mosukei Wren. But, even if he'd tried for weeks, the only thing he could find is what's told in the OD itself, that the name of the dedicatee was indeed "Mosuke Saito" (as already told in the Key). The only thing the OD (and its Japanese text) say is/was: that he, the donor of the Type specimens, was an older man (at that point) living in the village Minemura, on Hachijo (Island), in the Izu Islands/Archipelago. That's all.

And then, when I opened my computer, this very morning I find, Laurent's post #94 ...

I normally don't believe in thought transference, or telepathy, but ... ;)

However, an odd coincidence.

/B

I was wondering if you might still have the scan of this paper somewhere, Björn ?
It's on its way (by e-mail).

Last edited:
It's on its way (by e-mail).
Thanks, Björn. 👍

In the OD, he is mentioned as:
1648818962568.png

... which, literally, would be something like "the Mitsune-mura-residing Satō Mosuke old man".

The romanization I find for 佐藤 is Satō rather than Saitō. (Both exist, but they are distinct.)

茂助 can apparently be read "Mosuke" or "Shigesuke", but the scientific name mosukei, and the katakana transcription of the Japanese name of the bird (モスケミソサザィ -- Mo-su-ke-mi-so-sa-za-i -- where "misosazai" -- 鷦鷯 -- is the wren) leave no doubt that "Mosuke" was indeed intended here.

三根村 is the name of a former settlement on Hachijō-jima, which was merged in Hachijō-mura, and thereby ceased to exist, in 1954. Although 三根 is read "mine" in some other Japanese words, this name was apparently read Mitsune-mura (cf. hiragana transcription みつねむら -- Mi-tsu-ne-mu-ra -- on the Wikipedia page).

As it's a Japanese name, Mosuke, which comes last, should indeed be his first name. I see no straightforward explanation for the "Mr. Mosuké" on the labels. (I guess that in a small and isolated village, it may be conceivable that he was originally presented under his first name only, and that Momiyama learned his last name at some later point only ?)

I don't find anything additional about him either. 佐藤茂助 seems to be a rather common name, which does not help.

A bit surprisingly, Momiyama's labels cite a "Mr. Mosuké", ...
Laurent, I took the liberty of forwarding your comment (above, and those two links) to Mr Osawa, and after having studied the pictures (and labels), incl. the OD, he assured me that the the Family name/surname of the dedicatee is Saito. And that his given name is/was Mosuke, which would make him Mr Saito (in short), or Mr Mosuke Saito (in the western way).

Mosuke (alt. Mosuké) is apparently not a Family name in Japan.

And he added:
– I cannot understand why it was written as it was on those labels.

Either way, I think it's pretty safe to keep the dedicatee as (the fairly unknown) Mr Mosuke Saito.

Though, I must say, it was a sharp-eyed observation Laurent, well worth the question. (y)

Cheers

/B

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back