• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Juv hepatic cuckoo id? (1 Viewer)

israel

Upton Warren

Had obvious juv cuckoo today(white nape patch and white feather fringes above) at Moors Pool just south of the west hide but viewed from the east hide.The darker primaries and dark barring were in stark contrast to the bright rufous back ground colour including the rump.The bird was facing away from me but as it turned its head it showed fine barring from upper breast to bill on a buff background and a similar pattern to the rest of the head.I'm thinking this is a juv "hepatic" but will defer to anybody who can come with a bit more info than i can find.

Chris. Thomson.

Last edited:
Had obvious juv cuckoo today(white nape patch and white feather fringes above) at Moors Pool just south of the west hide but viewed from the east hide.The darker primaries and dark barring were in stark contrast to the bright rufous back ground colour including the rump.The bird was facing away from me but as it turned its head it showed fine barring from upper breast to bill on a buff background and a similar pattern to the rest of the head.I'm thinking this is a juv "hepatic" but will defer to anybody who can come with a bit more info than i can find.

Chris. Thomson.

There has been reports of a 'hepatic' bird at Upton for the last week (??)
Im sure one of the guys will be along soon
MB

A hepatic Cuckoo was seen at the Moors Pool on the 13th June with a possible there over the weekend just gone. It was put down as a female; not familar enough with this form to comment on the difference between fem and juv. Think there has only been one previous record at Upton.

Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back